TA Centenary - How do you think it should be celebrated?

Baz44

War Hero
HOLD ON - Before you go off on the TA reclaiming the world are you not missing one major point - Those who did turn up would run of of MTD's and have to finish the job in the next financial year with £10m less in our budget.

Or am i missing something :)

Okay Baz, what if BoomShacker's statue only turned up at weekends?

fozzy said:
Could I just point out to the Treasury that "TA 100" is a centenary celebration and not a manning target aspiration.
Please come and clean my screen of tea stains......

Litotes

crossed_axes

Old-Salt
quiller said:
the question is, who is going to pay for it to be celebrated? since as far as i can gather, no-one at any level has accounted for it in their budgets for that year.
I think you've put your finger on it quiller. From what I've heard, regional brigades etc have been asked to come up with ideas that won't cost anything.

Now, if we were one-legged lesbians, I'm sure Mayor Ken or someone would be throwing money at it.

fozzy said:
Could I just point out to the Treasury that "TA 100" is a centenary celebration and not a manning target aspiration.
Foz, next time a warning would be useful. I have successfully destroyed my keyboard with a mouthful of coffeee whilst spilling the remainder of the mug into my lap.

I think a Friday night landing on the French coast with what's left of the TA and we could be finished by Saturday 1700 hrs just in time to hit the streets of Paris and get laid.

Given past French history, we'd only need to fire off our last remaining schmullie and one box of blank and I'm certain they'd surrender.....

Shelldrake

Clanker
At the rate Bliar's going, the TA will be renamed shortly before the 100th anniversary and so they'll be no need for any parades. That should be cheap... unless of course we need new stationery!

Renamed what though?

"them"? (Note the lower case 't', not to be confused by "Them").

"Those cnuts"?

"The Conscipts"?

crossed_axes

Old-Salt
Ah - I see the plan now.

Let the TA serve the country for 99 years, 11 months and 29 days then change its name to avoid paying for a centenary.

Cunning.

F

fozzy

rebel_with_a_cause said:
Foz, next time a warning would be useful. I have successfully destroyed my keyboard with a mouthful of coffeee whilst spilling the remainder of the mug into my lap.
Ithenkyew!

Cardinal

War Hero
1. Get rid of SABRE
2. Introduce proper employment laws protecting members of the TA
3. Introduce a TA pension
4. Increase Bounty to recognise longer lengths of service
5. Gordon Browns head on a platter
6. The other Browns Arrse in a sling
7. Increase size of TA
8. Start getting pay issues right.
9. Career management for TA soldiers
10. Parades to increase public awareness.

Ten top ideas one for each decade.

Cardinal

Baz44

War Hero
Stickybomb - Fine with me so long as he has the MTD's would not want to waste resources now would we (oh and he cannot claim T.E.A like the rest of us!)

Cheers

P.S carinal I like your style but you think far too much :)

The_Duke

LE
Cardinal,

Is the atmosphere nice on your planet?

Your points involving gratuitous violence to politicians I have no problems with. Your points with a financial impact would only come at the loss of other items, such as training (particularly adventure training, foreign trips etc).

Lets face it, we will walk through our local towns, drink warm beer out of cans, eat curry out of norgies and then carry on regardless.

Duke

Baz44 said:
Stickybomb - Fine with me so long as he has the MTD's would not want to waste resources now would we (oh and he cannot claim T.E.A like the rest of us!)
Sorry, statue idea has gone on hold. He failed his MATTs. Lectures went fine but we're still waiting for him to come in off his PFT. :sad:

COS1SigBde

Old-Salt
Gott und Himmel, you vant to celebrate ze great achievementz of se terriers? (sorry, just practising the local lingo).

I sink you vill findz zat zere ist no budget. You mustz celebrate wizin you MTD limitz. Ze Duke maybe right.

Ha!

PS - perhaps we could find a Battalion that could field exactly 100 men on the day (although half will be the Regulars) - sound familiar?

Cardinal

War Hero
The_Duke said:
Cardinal,

Is the atmosphere nice on your planet?

Your points involving gratuitous violence to politicians I have no problems with. Your points with a financial impact would only come at the loss of other items, such as training (particularly adventure training, foreign trips etc).

Lets face it, we will walk through our local towns, drink warm beer out of cans, eat curry out of norgies and then carry on regardless.

Duke
I think you need to be aware of some facts. The MOD has a very large budget, infact we do spend more on defence than many other nations.

Yet our services are smaller, have less kit, fewer resources and are generally given a very difficult time in the name of saving money.

Why? Its because the MOD is poorly managed, there is huge wastage of finance, time, effort and other resources but it is not at the level of the regular or reserve forces. By the time other, non uniformed, eliments of the MOD have had their cut and wasted it then that is where most wastage, and potential savings, are to be found.

A few examples, which would cost more? a small pension for Reservists or the annual car hire budget from Lex? I know of one unit which hired a car at 150 pounds per day for six months but only used the vehicle three times a week! How many other places are run like that?

Or the large sheds full of PC's, one at Land one in Portsmouth, all less than a couple of years old, still perfectly usable but cast when new ones were brought.

10,000 windproof smocks, held in store never issued then sold as surplus to a Dutch Company based in Bournemouth Airport for the princely sum of 1 pound each.

Taking the decision to spend several million pounds on a Special Forces swimmer delivery system, then fitting it to a submarine which was about to be withdrawn, wasting the whole lot.

Compared to these and hundreds of other wastage issues within the MOD all at the suit rather than uniform level, nothing, I repeat, NOTHING the reserves do will come close to either saving that much money or wasting it.

Its fine to say watch the pennies at the TA level but too many silly sods at MOD are chucking bucket loads of cash straight out of the window. To make it worse senior officers, rather than draw attention to the issues divert attention away from them by whinging about things like reserves getting pensions. On the subject of pensions, on the one hand saying it would cost too much on the other saying any pension would be so small it would not be worth having does not exactly ring true does it?

Cardinal

The_Duke

LE
Cardinal,

We all know by now what your favourite soap box issue is. The more realistic of us accept that no system is perfect, and the MOD is certainly not perfect. However, until we reach the Utopia of perfect budget management, more of something will always equal less of something else.

The TA has a budget, which needs to be allocated the best way it can. I believe it is best allocated to training and rewarding the average soldier currently serving - less than 5 years, motivated by bounty. You believe it is best spent rewarding the minority - long serving higher ranking TA soldiers, by means of a pension and higher bounty for them.

You complain about high ranking officers feathering their own nests, but campaign to do exactly the same for yourself - obtain a pension which suits your personal circumstances, but which the more realistic and practical amongst us believe will be at the expense of other soldiers.

If/when they manage the other issues of the budget, then great - push for it all you want. It is way above mine and your pay grade to achieve this.

I will not drag Baz's thread off any further on this - we have covered this to death on the pensions thread.

Duke

Wingletang

War Hero
Hmm

TA 100 though is a real event - note that the celebrations will be shared with the RFCA's who are equally 100 years old in 2008.

As usual, the thing has to be completed at nil cost - or at least within the normal training budget of the TA.

There is talk of a number of public events, although it remains to be seen which ones survive contact with the TA 100 Steering Group (yes, there is one).

Latest Threads