TA Captain joins Sandhurst elite

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by msr, Sep 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

A Territorial Army Captain is set to become the first TA officer since the Second World War to command a Platoon of Officer Cadets on the TA Commissioning Course at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst (RMAS).

As Platoon Commander, Captain Vicky Freer, aged 37, and already experienced in TA officer training, will be responsible for assessing more than 25 TA candidates for their suitability to be commissioned as officers.

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/TrainingAndAdventure/TaCaptainJoinsSandhurstElite.htm

[​IMG]

msr

2. Saw this this morning.

Let's hope she's a good egg and is a credit to the TA and the naked jimmy wearing geeks.

Typical TA bod in that she's old for her rank though. I hope she works extra hard to keep up with the young'uns.

3. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

TA RLC recruit to RMAS TACC, then to an OTC then back to RMAS TACC as an instructor.

I am sure she is great, but unless the profile is doing her an injustice, there is not much "depth" to her experience.

4. What Signals regiment is she from? Her OTC is very close to my TAC

5. Seconded. It will only do justice to the TA cadets going through of TA instructors have the same level of experience as is shown by the Regular Instructors (usually 6-8 years, including Pl Comd, Coy 2ic and Bn HQ jobs).

6. msr

msr LE

Sans Op Tour...

7. I think it's the profile that is at fault. Her previous job was a training consultant, I would have thought that job title hides a wealth of experience applicable to her new role that the regular Officer would not be expected to have achieved. Plus, I don't suppose RMAS has chosen a random recruitment policy this year.

8. Good example of skills from Civ jobs being brought over?

Best of British, Ma'am.

9. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

I have no doubt that she is a capable trainer, nor do I believe that her name has been blindly picked out of a hat by RMAS.

I do remember that my Pl Comd on TACC could add elements of personal experience to the training: Commanding his Pl on ops, issues with managing a Pl of soldiers (not recruits or OCDTs) etc, etc, etc.

How will she cope with those sort of issues being raised by OCDTs who may have spent time in the ranks, worked in a Pl/Trp environment, possibly taken part in some of the very difficult current operations?

10. So? An "op tour" covers a broad range of things, and most of them aren't particularly relevant to officer training, especially for officers.

I've been noticingthe trend towards dismissing people without an "Op Tour", and it's quite worrying (to me at least....)

11. msr

msr LE

I am noticing the same trend, and I wondered what others felt.

msr

12. It is good to see that the TA are getting a Pl Cdr at RMAS. The only representation within the 'TA Cell' was previously a Lt Col/Col who was rarely seen except at dinner nights and occupied a post that allowed the incumbent to contribute little or none of their experience to the course.
    The new TA Pl Cdr's post will allow recent experience within the TA (something almost all Regular Pl Cdrs at RMAS lack) and she will be supported by 3 or 4 other Captains from the Regular Army in all that she does during her time there as an instructor.
    Further, there are plenty of Regular Pl Cdrs at RMAS who lack the credibility of Ops and demanding Staff Jobs that should qualify them to be a Sandhurst Instructor.
    Plenty of questions are asked by TA OCdts during the course to which the Regular Army Instructors are unable to give valid answers. All looks pretty sensible stuff to me.

13. Got to be better than the Royal Navy officer we had on my course.

14. Paragraphs 2 and 3 of The_Duke's previous post should be an obvious answer to your query. I can't speak regarding 'officer' training but, if you draw a parallel with 'soldier' training, JNCOs and SNCOs with operational experience bring a wealth of experience, knowledge and value to the training environment they might work in. As such, i imagine officers with operational experience would do too and would be equally appreciated by the OCdts.

15. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Hades,

I am not questioning the theory of having TA staff on the TACC, it is a long time coming. I am just surprised that the first incumbent is someone with such a "flat" career, mainly as an OCdt or training Ocdts.

Even your regular, non Op experienced, not demanding staff job instructors bring the experience of having commanded Pls/Tps of soldiers in a training environment or on exercises.

The TA has lots of junior officers with a variety of experiences they could offer who may have been keen to do this job. How widely was this post advertised to enable them to put themselves forward for consideration?