• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

TA Basic. Is It A Beast?

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
Posted in Naafi to allow for joshing and dits.

All answers accepted, but preference given to anyone who's done regular basic and TA basic. (like soon to be me)

Is TA basic comparable to regular basic, is it a mad beasting punctuated with smashed mugs and trashed lockers or is it all a bit more civilised than that?

Cheers,

D_L

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
Weekends or consolidated?
I'm my own man, I choose my hours so I reckon I'd do it in one hit if I could. I don't think fitness is an issue, so again I'm not needing to do it in chunks.

What does bother me though is that I'm the same age as most RSM's and probably not going to be too amused about 21 year old full screws trying to put the frightners on me and jumping up and down on my shaving brush.

Know what I mean?

I'm my own man, I choose my hours so I reckon I'd do it in one hit if I could. I don't think fitness is an issue, so again I'm not needing to do it in chunks.

What does bother me though is that I'm the same age as most RSM's and probably not going to be too amused about 21 year old full screws trying to put the frightners on me and jumping up and down on my shaving brush.

Know what I mean
?
Then you are looking at the wrong job. It would get on my tits too but that is not the Army's fault. That, and the fact I'd be taxed to death on the relatively paltry manday rates, made me decide not to rejoin the colours by going into the RAFVR (who have a higher age limit than the TA)

All answers accepted, but preference given to anyone who's done regular basic and TA basic. (like soon to be me)

Is TA basic comparable to regular basic, is it a mad beasting punctuated with smashed mugs and trashed lockers or is it all a bit more civilised than that?

Cheers,

D_L
I did the old equivalent of consolidated. They don't have time to cock about with being childish. You get a bit of half hearted grief but their job is to train you not make you walk out

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
Hmm.

I went through RTMC Nottingham a few years ago and did a long tour of Bos. It was all fairly civilised, not too much shouting - just cracked on and did what needed to be done.

I suspect that what happens is some place between that and regular basic. Training - fine. Hard training - fine.

But if anyone thinks I'm going to act as a space invader while training staff boot footballs at us... well, not at 38, matey.

To be fair during my training (phase one and CIC) they treat you like adults, no locker inspections or shit like that! They have to squeeze so much in to such a small time frame there isn't time to fuck about with beastings etc (unless you're a mong in the field).

I was expecting alot more STAB bashing though....

If you're not long out of the Regulars you'll not need to do basic training anyway - three years, I think.

The TA DS don't really have the time to dick you about. Its actively discouraged, anyway - what is the point in acting like an idiot when the recruits can just pack it in and not turn up for the next weekend.

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
That's my question pretty much answered, thanks guys. What about the approach to phys? (which is of much less a concern) I was looking on the army website and it's really soft requirements - like being able to tab 3 miles in 45 minutes and run a pft in 14... does the phys reflect that?

I remember in Nottingham they said they couldn't get us fit in 2 weeks, and completely sacked it. We did one PFT which wasn't really pass/fail it was just something to write down for the receiving unit. To be fair, it was all a bit of a joke.

In our phase one, the first week was for corp and inf and the second week just for inf (which they have stopped now) our phys sessions were, 1.5miles under 12.45, 4 mile tab in an hr, 3 mile boot run, 4 mile trainer run, and finished with a 6 mile tab. Not the hardest in the world. Out of interest, what are joining?

Hmm.

I went through RTMC Nottingham a few years ago and did a long tour of Bos. It was all fairly civilised, not too much shouting - just cracked on and did what needed to be done.

I suspect that what happens is some place between that and regular basic. Training - fine. Hard training - fine.

But if anyone thinks I'm going to act as a space invader while training staff boot footballs at us... well, not at 38, matey.
What possible reason could you have for joining up at 38????!!!!!!
Does the embarrassment not out balance the extra pennies ????!!!!!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
I've been talking to RMLY but it's looking like they might be disbanding, so that's thrown my plans a little bit.

I'll still be wanting armour, I reckon.

That's my question pretty much answered, thanks guys. What about the approach to phys? (which is of much less a concern) I was looking on the army website and it's really soft requirements - like being able to tab 3 miles in 45 minutes and run a pft in 14... does the phys reflect that?

I remember in Nottingham they said they couldn't get us fit in 2 weeks, and completely sacked it. We did one PFT which wasn't really pass/fail it was just something to write down for the receiving unit. To be fair, it was all a bit of a joke.
Joining at 38!?? .. Now there's a real joke !!

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
In our phase one, the first week was for corp and inf and the second week just for inf (which they have stopped now) our phys sessions were, 1.5miles under 12.45, 4 mile tab in an hr, 3 mile boot run, 4 mile trainer run, and finished with a 6 mile tab. Not the hardest in the world. Out of interest, what are joining?
Doesn't sound too bad.. I guess 4 miles is a long way if you are old, smoke and don't train.. but I'm old, smoke and DO train, so shouldn't be an issue.

What's the standard of the fitness like among the trainees generally?

When I did my weekends last year, there wasn't any dicking about or pointless bullshittery. There were people who needed dealing with, but it was almost always with the DS Phrasebook rather than anyone going off on a run to see the Tree of Knowledge.

As already mentioned, there's no time for dicking about. Our two weeker was slightly different though, there was a bit of it there but that was only down to a few absolute space cadets and collective punishment was minimal, and when it happened, it wasn't the whole troop but rather just the offending few.

Our DS knew who put the hard graft in and only really zeroed in on the mlaars... The ones who dragged them out of their office, during the few fleeting moments we had time to scratch our arrses and text loved ones, and got us all on platoon lines because they'd lost a sock, accuse us all of theft and then only for it to turn up in the adjacent cage in the drying room. We still didn't get any shit, just a few strong words to the offending few.

STAB bashing, virtually non-existant, the 13 and 14 week regular recruits were all for us and we shared a common angst, whereas the only ones that gave us shit were the fresh bunch of lads that were just starting their training, but even then the NCOs had a zero-tolerance policy on it at all levels.

Looking back it was quite fun, hard as it was.

Cheers,

D_L
Ta basic ? A beast ? At 38 you should really know these things ??!!!

Doesn't sound too bad.. I guess 4 miles is a long way if you are old, smoke and don't train.. but I'm old, smoke and DO train, so shouldn't be an issue.

What's the standard of the fitness like among the trainees generally?
They do throw in water stops every now and again althought they tended to use these to punish people for calling one the PTI's a cunt! As for the standard, ranges from the super fit to fat biffs. We had one lad who couldn't do 10 press ups. But on the whole everyone was around the same level.
As rusk says, you get the odd mong who you wonder how they've survived as long as they have who tend to fuck it up for everyone every now and again but that's about it. I think the reg DS we had at phase one took the oppotunity to chill out!

Latest Threads