TA Basic. Is It A Beast?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Drivers_lag, May 9, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Posted in Naafi to allow for joshing and dits.

All answers accepted, but preference given to anyone who's done regular basic and TA basic. (like soon to be me)

Is TA basic comparable to regular basic, is it a mad beasting punctuated with smashed mugs and trashed lockers or is it all a bit more civilised than that?

2. Weekends or consolidated?
  3. I'm my own man, I choose my hours so I reckon I'd do it in one hit if I could. I don't think fitness is an issue, so again I'm not needing to do it in chunks.

What does bother me though is that I'm the same age as most RSM's and probably not going to be too amused about 21 year old full screws trying to put the frightners on me and jumping up and down on my shaving brush.

Know what I mean?
  4. Then you are looking at the wrong job. It would get on my tits too but that is not the Army's fault. That, and the fact I'd be taxed to death on the relatively paltry manday rates, made me decide not to rejoin the colours by going into the RAFVR (who have a higher age limit than the TA)
  5. I did the old equivalent of consolidated. They don't have time to cock about with being childish. You get a bit of half hearted grief but their job is to train you not make you walk out
  6. Hmm.

I went through RTMC Nottingham a few years ago and did a long tour of Bos. It was all fairly civilised, not too much shouting - just cracked on and did what needed to be done.

I suspect that what happens is some place between that and regular basic. Training - fine. Hard training - fine.

But if anyone thinks I'm going to act as a space invader while training staff boot footballs at us... well, not at 38, matey.
  7. To be fair during my training (phase one and CIC) they treat you like adults, no locker inspections or shit like that! They have to squeeze so much in to such a small time frame there isn't time to fuck about with beastings etc (unless you're a mong in the field).

I was expecting alot more STAB bashing though....
  8. Thanks for that.
  9. If you're not long out of the Regulars you'll not need to do basic training anyway - three years, I think.

The TA DS don't really have the time to dick you about. Its actively discouraged, anyway - what is the point in acting like an idiot when the recruits can just pack it in and not turn up for the next weekend.
  10. That's my question pretty much answered, thanks guys. What about the approach to phys? (which is of much less a concern) I was looking on the army website and it's really soft requirements - like being able to tab 3 miles in 45 minutes and run a pft in 14... does the phys reflect that?

I remember in Nottingham they said they couldn't get us fit in 2 weeks, and completely sacked it. We did one PFT which wasn't really pass/fail it was just something to write down for the receiving unit. To be fair, it was all a bit of a joke.
  11. In our phase one, the first week was for corp and inf and the second week just for inf (which they have stopped now) our phys sessions were, 1.5miles under 12.45, 4 mile tab in an hr, 3 mile boot run, 4 mile trainer run, and finished with a 6 mile tab. Not the hardest in the world. Out of interest, what are joining?
  12. What possible reason could you have for joining up at 38????!!!!!!
    Does the embarrassment not out balance the extra pennies ????!!!!!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  13. I've been talking to RMLY but it's looking like they might be disbanding, so that's thrown my plans a little bit.

I'll still be wanting armour, I reckon.