TA as a student

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by ssjmawson, Aug 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. First, apologies if this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything with the search function.
    I've done 3 years in the OTC, wonderful place but I've decided to move on. Just wanted to know what the 'call up' liabilities are for students in the TA as I've stil got at least another year left at university. Thanks.

2. Mobilisations are Voluntary

3. You can get out of it. At the moment you will not be called up if you are not able to go. This is unlikely to change until you finish.

4. Thanks for the quick replies guys, I'll be heading to my local TAC next week :D

5. Thats not what many employers think, maybe not a good idea to tell the world!

6. If you are in full time education, then you cannot be compolsory mobilised. As your education comes first.

Stilts

7. msr

msr LE

However, you should also put your education first. Personally, I would wait until you have completed your final year.

msr

8. How many days do you at university a week? I only do 3 so got plenty of time for TA. If youre doing 5 you might be in a bit of trouble. Before you know it you'll be changing into your DPMs at the back of the lecture theatre on Tuesdays.

9. I should have plenty of time for the TA, I wanted to avoid the situation where I quit the OTC with the intention of joining TA after university. From what I've seen people who do that rarely go back to the TA, thought it better to keep my hand in.

10. I'm still at uni doing a pretty intensive course and manage to fit in being a subby in the local TA unit. Have fun!

11. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

'Trouble?' What like the members of the TA who work 5 days a week? Before you know it you'll have a proper job and then you'll really be in the shit.

Edited to add more sarcasm.

12. and getting a sh!t degree

13. I doubt my degree will suffer. I've been doing otc for 3 years which is the same sort of commitment on a week to week basis as what I'll be getting myself into (or so I'm told), and I'm stuck firmly in the middle of a 2:1 class anyway. It's unlikely that my performance would suffer enough for this to change without me noticing.
    Also, fair point Ravers. Part of the reason I was encouraged to transfer is that people working 9-5, 5 days a week can fit the TA into their schedule. Surely if they can do it there's no reason I can't.

14. Yes and no. Depends what you are doing. When I did my degree it took up more time than full-time working, albeit with a bit more flexibility. At least when you do finish work you don't have to go home and tackle yet more coursework.

On the other hand I used to be a lot fresher for weekends when I was a student and less depressed by the thought of not sleeping again until Sunday night.

15. Exactly my point. Say for example,youre given work on a Friday to be done by Monday,then you piss off to Pirbright or wherever on Friday evening,get back Sunday tea time. Im sure you know where im going with this. All depends on your particular course requirements.