TA Armourer

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by phule, Jun 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Looking at joining the TA and wanted to find out some more information on the armourer positions, seems to be abit of conflicting information about what requirements are needed to join.

Do you have to have previous been an armourer in the Reg's or can you be trained up?

I understand the need for Eng. experience and Maths requirements but think i've got both those covered, currently studying part time at a BSc in Mathematics, have experience of Toolmaking/Fitter roles and Blacksmithing, and looking to tack on a FdEng in Railway Engineering(read Mech. Engineering) over the next two years.

And if its possible what units should I be looking at, noticed the Coventry Units but its a f'ing long drive for a weeknight. Was hoping for something more East Midlands based or a National Unit.

2. You can be traioned up, spoke to an armr only yesterday who was not ex-reg but has managed to get to class 1 & corsed up to fcku!

Can't help you with units but you should get an idea from your local TA unit.

3. Northampton, Leicester or Corby any more use? They don't mention armourer as a trade on their website, but if you're enthusiastic I can't imagine they're likely to turn you away.
    http://www.army.mod.uk/reme/118_rec_coy/locations.htm

104 Bn REME are a national unit, but I'm not sure if they can train you up completely. Phone up and ask I guess.

4. pm StabTiffy2B he is an annoying CNut most of the time but he is a) an armourer
    b) in the TA
    c) in a unit in the east midalands
    d) not an ex reg
    e) could eat an apple through a chain link fence( that bit is irrelavent but will make him bite)

5. Too right it'll make me bite. Bite your f*cking head off. :D

Tis true. I am indeed gods trade and would be happy to answer any questions on Armourer type stuff. There is also an excellently written wiki page on the subject of trades which includes an top section on Armourers. When the wiki is working, I'll post the link.

6. Link for the wiki page:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Which_Trade_should_I_learn%3F

Feel free to add to it guys. The more trades we can cover the better. If you're an illiterate inbred who writes like a chav (like Balldrick), or need a hand with the Wiki, I would be more than happy to help.

7. Cheers for the links, and the unit info.

Whats the work like? ie will I spend most of my time playing bench fitter/doing repairs(what I would like to do) or will I get stuck running around like a member of the insane, making tea, and getting stuck folding dirty laundry? Whats you working life like?

I noticed the FTRS seem to want quite afew evertime I've looked at the paper work so I take it theres a bit of work around if you want to do a full time stint?

As per the wiki page, do you have to do the course two weeks straight or is it like recruit training and can be broken over weekends? as I'm sponsered at uni and dont get holidays, well not many and those are normally used for running up hills and playing overseas.

Cheers again for the answers.

8. Cheers for the links, and the unit info.

Whats the work like? ie will I spend most of my time playing bench fitter/doing repairs(what I would like to do) or will I get stuck running around like a member of the insane, making tea, and getting stuck folding dirty laundry? Whats you working life like?

I noticed the FTRS seem to want quite afew evertime I've looked at the paper work so I take it theres a bit of work around if you want to do a full time stint?

As per the wiki page, do you have to do the course two weeks straight or is it like recruit training and can be broken over weekends? as I'm sponsered at uni and dont get holidays, well not many and those are normally used for running up hills and playing overseas.

Cheers again for the answers.

9. The work is mainly inspections, although this will decrease due to the new inspection routine for the A2. Depending on your unit, you may have lots of breakages which need repairs. My place is pretty quiet because we're not a teeth arm.
    I doubt you'll do a lot of bench fitting, but there are opportunites. There are annual competitions (such as Southern Craftsman) which require bench fitting skills.

The trade training is exactly as written. You can't do it in chunks. It's also pretty intense for Armourers. Mini Essays and lots of tick tests. They will fail you if you don't come up to spec. If you want an easy course then become a VM :D