TA - are most of you just wasting your time ?

darbs said:
Scotsmanricky, i could not agree with you more on "Dont get me wrong, the system is in no way perfect and can be improved in nearly every way but some of the responsibility and common sense lies with the individual."
Just remind me, you are in the TA and have done an Op Tour right?

msr

msr said:
darbs said:
Scotsmanricky, i could not agree with you more on "Dont get me wrong, the system is in no way perfect and can be improved in nearly every way but some of the responsibility and common sense lies with the individual."
Just remind me, you are in the TA and have done an Op Tour right?
msr
What's your point? He's right - some of the responsibility and common sense does lie with the individual.

The_Duke

LE
I think his point is that Darbs has yet to attend his TA selection weekend, let alone pass his CMS(R) or be mobilised.

Passing comments about the faults in the system, and the responsibility of the individual based on that level of experience is flawed to say the least.

(But he is right though)

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
So the lad's going in with the right mindset instead of expecting the TA to do all of his motivating for him. Good luck him!

With regards to an individuals fitness that is down to them, fitness is a personal pride issue, you can only do so much fitness on a tuesday night. However when it comes to the level of training a soldier has and in particular a persons shooting that is down to the system. Our unit does it best to organise as much shooting as possible, that normally equates to about 4 weekends a year. However most soldiers need more of this to get to a good standard. For most units this is not possible because of the number of trade courses and unit training that needs to take place. These weekends are often regarded as being more important than the shooting ones as these are the weekends that will lead them getting qualified or promoted.
The only way to overcome this is to have more training once mobilised and prior to there deployment.

CPL_JOE said:
TO ALL THE STABS

YOU ARE A WASTE OF MONEY AND EQUIPMENT THAT COULD BE PUT TO BETTER USE IN THE REGULAR ARMY
I WISH I COULD GET TAX FREE BOUNTYS WE DO GET BOUNTYS BUT THE SMALL PRINT AT THE BOTTOM SAY WE GET TAXED.NOW THERE IS A CALL UP OF TA AND RESERVE PERSONAL FOR A POSSIBLE WAR YOU ARE ALL CRYING ABOUT YOUR JOBS AND FAMILYS. ALL THE TA DO IS TURN UP TO THE SO CALLED TRAINING NIGHTS PLAY A LITTLE SPORT THEN GET DRUNK IN THE BAR WHEN THEY DO GO ON A TOUR YES YET AGAIN ON THE PROMISE OF MORE MONEY THIER TRAINING IS THAT OF A RECRUIT WHO HAS JUST WALKED THROUGH THE GATES OF A TRAINING CAMP.SO LADS COME AND JOIN THE REAL ARMY WERE WE ARE AWAY MOST OF THE YEAR ON TOURS AND EXERCISE HAVE TO WORK WITH BROKEN DOWN VEHICLES BECAUSE THE TA GET ALL THE SPARES HAVE NO PROPER UNIFORM TO WEAR BECAUSE THE TA GET IT ALL.TO SAME OF US THE ARMY IS NOT JUST A JOB IT IS OUR LIFE TO YOU IT IS JUST A HOBBY
Just the sort of ill-informed rubbish I hoped was on the wane. I won't go into all the arguments - frankly I can't be arrrsed.
The argument I often hear is the wannabe, can't hack fulltime, playing at it, blah di feckin blah. So what's the answer - 'yeah you're right, let's all leave'?

About 59.9 million other people in this country aren't in the regular army. By definition they must therefore all be w@nkers and wannabes....

I didn't really consider/want to join the regular army. As an active, fit, can-do sort of bloke though I joined the TA; this was an extra, and add-on. I really liked the difference between an office job and doing adventurous stuff at the weekends. I got quite into it - and was then commissioned. I've only relatively recently left after the juggling job, wife, two kids, TA responsibilities and all the rest of it started impacting on my family, but in that time I've done a lot of things, and done my bit.

I'm afraid I don't recognise the picture you paint - anymore than I recognise the opposing ARAB view.

No, he's spot on about my job and family, both are a constant worry that regularly leave me in tears. Plus, I just finished requisitioning replacement gear for the SCRAT because I've swapped most of it at the council estate for marbles. I'm off to get changed into my 23 pairs of c95 for an impromptu game of sumo wrestling, before going to the bar to drink the remainder of the Bowman budget.

By the way, I've not been properly trained or anything, but how does someone go about getting called up for a 'possible' war? Sounds fun.

The_Duke said:
4 Para joining for the full tour join their regular Bn in their beat up phase, and are exactly on a par with the regular soldier for beat up training. This includes the live firing package somewhere hot and sunny.

I guess it all depends on whether you mobilise last minute.com or take it seriously and mobilise in plenty of time.
This seems to be the emerging trend and defiantly the way ahead. The system for the formed TA sub units is positively second rate in comparison. Especially as they go out as force protection Coy’s but get used in much more demanding rolls once in theatre.

The Original Thread Topic said:
TA - are most of you just wasting your time?
Perhaps.

For most TA units at any given time a minority are mobilised - the TA's current raison d'etre, like it or not.

The remainder (the majority) are charged with preparing potential mobilisees (does that word exist?) - to maintain and if possible develop, their core soldier skills and special to arm skills despite:

- Very restricted MTDs
- "Dad's Army" levels of equipment scaling. Mostly old, in short supply and in no way reflecting their regular counterparts let alone that which they would use in theatre
- Lower priority than Cadets for training areas during the summer
- The dramatic loss of experienced NCOs and Officers who either don't like the new TA or have mobilised and moved on
...Ctd ad nauseam on previous TA forum theads

So. How often do most TA units run demanding, progressive, imaginative, adequately staffed and adequately resourced training? Which thoroughly prepare them mentally, phyiscally, and militarily for their deployable role?

In my experience - which gives me the regular army as a yardstick... I suspect not many. Given the severe problems above (which I think we would agree on) most of us are probably wasting our time. We try and achieve too much, with too little, motivated by our own TA ethos and a desire to recreate the 80s/ 90s era of frequent FTXs, fully functioning regiments, Bde exercises etc - when the regular army wants IRs.

So, most of what we do is relatively nugatory except to the extent it keeps the blokes attending, and ticking over until they go to RTMC and then their deploying regiment for intensive courses and OPTAG.

In a way, though, that's not too important. Most of us commit a good deal than we must, or probably should - the TA relies heavily on goodwill and loyalty.

There will come a time when there will be too little of either to sustain the TA we have, let alone the TA we need in the future.

If you're not mobilised, or preparing for mobilisation ( short or long term ) but are hoping to develop a parallel career in the TA I genuinely think you're wasting your time in the current climate.

I realise I sound gloomy, although I don't feel it. I enjoy training my blokes. I enjoy their company and enthusiasm. I admire their committment despite my hidden worry that we offer them too little in return.

I know the TA shouldn't work... but somehow it does. This is apparent from so many posts on ARRSE, outweighing the negative one about fitness as RTMC (which I suspect is pretty fair and well founded). I still haven't worked out why - I suppose that shows that I am still struggling to understand the TA ethos.

I also wonder how long it will last.

Charlie

It is not often I comment, having left the TA last year for better things.

I thoroughly enjoyed my regular and TA life, my TA life to a point. I see a few areas that are poor.

1. Officers. I have met very very few officers I either respect or trust. Most are useless.
2. Training. So many drill nights and exercises are still done on the back of a fag packet.
3. Recruiting. Why can an ex-reg Sgt recruit so well for over a year to be told by an officer (see 1. above) that he is not doing his job very well. I wonder why he left, and recruiting is now rock bottom
4. Lack of incentives. 'nuf said
5. Mobilisation. That's why the TA is there but how can a recruit do a 2 week TA course, and find himself in the sandpit a few months later. He is not fit enough and does not know enough. He is a risk.
6. Promotion. Promotion is too quick in many cases. How can a TA Sgt (promoted after less than 10 years) possibly ever equate to a regular SNCO who has put a lifetime of experience and knowledge in.
7. Standards. I would say standards are so low it is unbelievable, but that is unfair to the TA. It is the government who set standards and they are so desperate for a reserve force on a shoestring, that they themselves lower the standards.
8. Equipment. 'nuf said already on this topic

What would I do. Get rid of all the wasters who use the TA purely for income, get rid of the dead wood, get rid of a lot of officers and have a lean, fit, fighting reserve. The people are there, pushed down and hidden by the wasters who use the skills and knowledge of the great and good, to climb their own chain of contempt.

bobos said:

I thoroughly enjoyed my regular and TA life, my TA life to a point. I see a few areas that are poor.

1. Officers. I have met very very few officers I either respect or trust. Most are useless.
bobos said:
get rid of a lot of officers
Would you like fish with your chips?

bobos said:

2. Training. So many drill nights and exercises are still done on the back of a fag packet.
3. Recruiting. Why can an ex-reg Sgt recruit so well for over a year to be told by an officer (see 1. above) that he is not doing his job very well. I wonder why he left, and recruiting is now rock bottom
5. Mobilisation. That's why the TA is there but how can a recruit do a 2 week TA course, and find himself in the sandpit a few months later. He is not fit enough and does not know enough. He is a risk.6. Promotion. Promotion is too quick in many cases. How can a TA Sgt (promoted after less than 10 years) possibly ever equate to a regular SNCO who has put a lifetime of experience and knowledge in.
7. Standards. I would say standards are so low it is unbelievable, but that is unfair to the TA. It is the government who set standards and they are so desperate for a reserve force on a shoestring, that they themselves lower the standards.

Snipped.
My bold and part of my original argument, TA solidiers need at least a year in units before going amywhere, that means CMSR, Trade Cse and an annual camp type exercise.

bobos said:

5. Mobilisation. That's why the TA is there but how can a recruit do a 2 week TA course, and find himself in the sandpit a few months later. He is not fit enough and does not know enough. He is a risk.
6. Promotion. Promotion is too quick in many cases. How can a TA Sgt (promoted after less than 10 years) possibly ever equate to a regular SNCO who has put a lifetime of experience and knowledge in.
Is this a broad and deep survey you've taken on the TA as a whole or is it based almost entirely on your experiences in/of your own unit?

From comments made by many posters across Corps, it would appear to be a list of common threads, a number of which I agree with.

Standards are too low - I can reach them, without a great struggle, even though I am old and flabby :wink: yet there are those who do struggle to reach them - why do we keep them around? - I can think of one recruit who lasted 14 months despite being a complete mong, and who failed 4 CFTs in that time...

Many TA officers don't have the time to follow their careers and manage there troops. Unit ConOps seem to assume that, when they are away on Regt/Bde duties, there will be SNCOs there to take up the slack and provide the top cover necessary to keep their troops from getting mucked about. If, however, the SNCOs are virtually non-existant, then guess what happens? More things to impact on retention is what happens...

Afghan is a not a nice place and the reality is there are jobs that need filling. Somme coy has more than proved its ability working alongside the regs in the last few months the nature of taskings undertaken is clear proof of this. The emphasis has to be on getting the job done with the tools available making do!!!

TA and regs should train together all the time remove the stigma (CHANGE THE NAME) and up the anti!

And yes the TA is not made up of superfit soldiers but there a re those who put the effort in. Anyway when the rounds start coming in cutting around the greenzone it does not matter if yor TA or reg Terry wont stop firing because its not saturday!!!

As for Londons - Somme coy have done the TA Proud.