TA - are most of you just wasting your time ?

Utility and futility...  :'(

am becoming suspicious of TA - have just joined a unit which changes my reserve status and I have at least 2 very in demand skill sets but my new TA unit haven't even seen fit to get me into the unit for any kind of meet n greet I haven't even got a kin uniform or id card yet - I think I may have just been fucked over completely as they clearly have no interest in me working for the unit so I won't even make the mimimum committments but am now much more mobilisable (new word) am an ex reg btw and was long term reserve. Maybe I'm wrong maybe they are just s l o w

I wonder if the opinions of the regs has changed towards TA since this thread started way back in 2003? I would like to think so...

My TA Inf Bn has had a presence in Iraq on every Telic so far. Last year we provided nearly a platoon strength for 1Bn in Iraq, and next year we have been asked to provide replacements to support TWO reg Bn going to Iraq and Afghan. None of them will get the same sort of post tour support that can be found in a Reg unit.

There is some talk that the pace of deployments is damaging the Army, well it's destroying the TA. Waste of time? Pulling body parts out the back of Hummve's in the arrse end of Bas hardly seems like time wasted to me.

darbs said:
I wonder if the opinions of the regs has changed towards TA since this thread started way back in 2003? I would like to think so...
Yes they have - in the main. Which is a good thing, clearly, especially when one considers how much we need huge gangs of 'em now!

What I find interesting is the astonishing amount of deceit that these decent volunteer citizen-soldiers have to put up with. For example, I was recently involved with training a bunch of TA types for Afghan. When they arrived, they all siad how much they're looking forward to fighting in Sangin and Now Zad etc etc when it was blindingly obvious to everyone present that these guys were in no way even remotely capable of doing much more than stagging on in BSN. Why? Well, 80% failed the BCFT (don't get me started on the other fizz), only 3 even knew what a Minimi was, let alone have ever fired one and so on and on.

Now - was this their fault? Of course not. They hadn't been given the opportunities they needed to prepare for what is a fairly crunchy tour.They had been told about this great Op tour they were going to disappear off on and had all done the right thing and come along for the ride.

I like the TA and have huge amounts of respect for these guys (as long time ARRSErs will be aware) - it's just a shame that they don't get all the support they need.

On a separate but related note: the call is about to go out for TA Fire Support Team volunteers. You need to be OPA Bas-DC (L2-4), or a FAC, or a FOO (TA or Reg Cse). Fire a PM my way if you're interested - lots of opportunities in Afghan are yours for the taking...with a period of outstanding and top-notch training beforehand, of course! :D

Proximo said:
On a separate but related note: the call is about to go out for TA Fire Support Team volunteers. You need to be OPA Bas-DC (L2-4), or a FAC, or a FOO (TA or Reg Cse). Fire a PM my way if you're interested - lots of opportunities in Afghan are yours for the taking...with a period of outstanding and top-notch training beforehand, of course! :D
Is that a change to DRA's policy? When is the next TA FOO cse?

And you a bang on about the quality of training. Perhaps the pinch is now starting to be felt...

msr

Proximo said:
Yes they have - in the main.
Don't be too quick to make statements like this. There are still quite a few knocking about that view the TA as wasters (only last week did someone give me a very shitty look accompanied with "What? You're a Stab?")

Proximo said:
Well, 80% failed the BCFT (don't get me started on the other fizz), only 3 even knew what a Minimi was, let alone have ever fired one and so on and on.
This dosen't help the Regular's view on us. 80% Failure rate should have equalled an 80% RTU rate with snot'o'grams to the units. This is totally unacceptable if we want a modern and profesional TA.

Proximo said:
Now - was this their fault? Of course not.
Really? Being unfit for their job not being their fault? Bet they still got their bounties though. (I'll let them off not having fired a minimi, but they really should know what one is)

StabTiffy2B said:
Proximo said:
Yes they have - in the main.
Don't be too quick to make statements like this. There are still quite a few knocking about that view the TA as wasters (only last week did someone give me a very shitty look accompanied with "What? You're a Stab?")

Proximo said:
Well, 80% failed the BCFT (don't get me started on the other fizz), only 3 even knew what a Minimi was, let alone have ever fired one and so on and on.
This dosen't help the Regular's view on us. 80% Failure rate should have equalled an 80% RTU rate with snot'o'grams to the units. This is totally unacceptable if we want a modern and profesional TA.

Proximo said:
Really? Being unfit for their job not being their fault? Bet they still got their bounties though. (I'll let them off not having fired a minimi, but they really should know what one is)
Hmmm...I wonder if all those people on here who use the word 'ARAB' so freely are aware that the TA have such a dim view of themselves...?

I am proud to be an unabashed fan of the TA and always will be - such negativity notwithstanding ST2B! :D

StabTiffy2B said:
Proximo said:
Proximo said:
Really? Being unfit for their job not being their fault? Bet they still got their bounties though.
See other threads in TA forum agreeing that fitness standards need to be enforced more strictly. Lots of us agree with ST2B (well, at least on this issue!).

Is the problem caused by the altitude in Afghanistan, or are they just unfit?

If unfit, how do these people get through Chilwell?

Pork_Pie said:
If that unfit, how to they get their bounty?

msr

msr said:
Pork_Pie said:
If that unfit, how to they get their bounty?

msr
Aren't mobilization standards higher than 'normal' MATTS' ones? If so, I suppose some could scrape a pass on the CFT for bounty purposes, then get found out when they go full time, but am not trying to defend all the salad dodgers!

'Normal' CFT = 6 miles
'Mobilisation' CFT = 8 miles

There is no logic. Just 18 footnotes in 2 pages of explanation.

I've said it before and I will say it again:

There should be one simple rule: everyone in a green uniform does a 8 mile CFT in 2 hours with 20 kg.

msr

Proximo said:
Do any TA regts have Minimi yet? BCFT its all in the mind :meditate:

WhiteHorse said:
Proximo said:
No , and I don't think many regular ones do either as it is UOR purchase...

CFT: it's not in the mind, it's in the legs for 8 miles. And if you can't do it - hand your kit in.

msr

msr said:
WhiteHorse said:
Proximo said:
No , and I don't think many regular ones do either as it is UOR purchase...

CFT: it's not in the mind, it's in the legs for 8 miles. And if you can't do it - hand your kit in.

msr
MSR! You're not having a pop at me are you? Didn't think so :wink: I still say a lot of failures in the CFT are down to attitude and determination, or rather the lack of. To be fair though, how much time and exercise is required to take a normal bod up to the required fitness to pass the CFT comfortably?

G

Goku

WhiteHorse said:
MSR! You're not having a pop at me are you? Didn't think so :wink: I still say a lot of failures in the CFT are down to attitude and determination, or rather the lack of. To be fair though, how much time and exercise is required to take a normal bod up to the required fitness to pass the CFT comfortably?
Not much.
I’ve done virtually no phys for the last year (naughty me) and managed to pass the 6 miler recently.
Admittedly I had to be kicked around the course on the final mile once my legs turned to jellow :oops:

Must sort that out for next time.

When I was mobilised I got my arrse round a six mile course five times a week (boots, bergen with 25kg of assorted kit stuffed into it) and bloody well made sure I wouldn't fail Chilwell for a lack of fitness. Fastest time 1hour 8 mins. And that from a duffer in his then late forties with a fondness for Gingsters, Grolsch and gaspers.

There will always be issues about the TA and fitness, but anyone going to be mobilised should be well prepared by their unit and themselves.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
msr said:
I've said it before and I will say it again:

There should be one simple rule: everyone in a green uniform does a 8 mile CFT in 2 hours with 20 kg.
You're saying that Infantrymen should lower their standards from the present 25Kg? Why?