TA/AR and Military Funerals

Having been mobilised twice, we were told that if we were killed in theatre, our families are responsible for the funeral costs, so we would pay our annual fee to Army Benevolent Fund for the £10,000 payment if the worst happened. I was under the impression that only the regular service personnel were entitled (generally at least) to a Military Funeral.

Having read that L/Cpl Brodie Gillon, who was a reservist killed in Iraq earlier this month, won't be able to receive her Military Funeral due to coronavirus precautions, has something changed, or are there guidelines about who is eligible for Military Funeral?

chimera

LE
Other than the Royal Family (i.e. State Funeral) I am not sure anyone is "entitled" to a military funeral. Care to elaborate on what you think a Regular serviceman is entitled to? Having been to rather too many during the TELIC/HERRICK years, I do not recall any of them being funded by HMG.

I would like to think if you die on duty - regardless of which bit of the Service you're in - you'd get a military funeral...

chimera

LE
I would like to think if you die on duty - regardless of which bit of the Service you're in - you'd get a military funeral...
I think you get the funeral that those you leave behind want you to have.

What exactly is a "military funeral"? Flag on coffin? Uniformed pall bearers? Bugler/Last Post? Legion standard bearers? Bunch of ex mil "mates" in blazers getting shit faced at the wake at the family's expense? I think I have seen combinations of all of those.

Correct. Queens Regulations:

“Service and Private Funerals

J7.093.

a. The term `Service funeral' means a burial or cremation which is arranged by the Service authorities and which is paid for out of public funds.

b. A Service funeral may be provided for an officer, rating, soldier or airman who dies while in receipt of full pay or for one who ceases to be entitled to full pay while undergoing treatment as an in-patient in
a hospital and who dies without leaving the hospital. If practicable, the relatives are to be offered the alternative of themselves arranging a private funeral. A Service funeral, or a grant towards the expenses of a private funeral, may also be provided for other categories of personnel as defined in
Regulations for Army Allowances and Charges (Army Code No 10).

c. The wishes of the next of kin about funeral arrangements are to be obtained as prescribed in Casualty Procedure 2000 (Army Code No 12974).

d. Funerals of members of the families of Service personnel are the responsibility of the officer or soldier concerned. In the case of deaths in countries abroad, however, certain assistance may be granted as laid down in Casualty Procedure 1995 (Code No 12974).

e. When an individual who is eligible for a Service funeral dies while he is serving with a Service other than his own, the commanding officer of the unit with which he is serving at the time of death should,
whenever practicable, get in touch with the parent unit in order that suitable funeral arrangements can be agreed. If necessary, he may accept the responsibility of carrying out the funeral.

f. The regulations regarding the provision of funeral honours are contained in paras 8.116 to 8.122.

g. Army only. Provided that it is the wish of the next of kin a Service representative may attend at public expense in the United Kingdom the privately arranged funeral of a Regular Army officer or soldier.

I think this relates to the CV-19 regulations that restrict all funerals at present to 6 attendees.

Source, no1 daughter who is a funeral director.

I think you get the funeral that those you leave behind want you to have.

What exactly is a "military funeral"? Flag on coffin? Uniformed pall bearers? Bugler/Last Post? Legion standard bearers? Bunch of ex mil "mates" in blazers getting shit faced at the wake at the family's expense? I think I have seen combinations of all of those.
I think the crass way it was put was that regular personnel last day of service is the day they are buried, reserve personnel under regular service (mobilisation/deployment) last day is the day they killed/die. Regular family given option of military/service funeral, reserve families aren't.

I think the crass way it was put was that regular personnel last day of service is the day they are buried, reserve personnel under regular service (mobilisation/deployment) last day is the day they killed/die. Regular family given option of military/service funeral, reserve families aren't.
Not a very nice way to have put it to you
It was either wrong or the situation has changed

A regular or reservist who dies in service would be eligible for a service funeral arranged by the MoD or to have funding for whichever arrangements the family choose.
My old staff used to pay the bills. Certain parts of a funeral are fully paid for, others selected would need to be funded by the family, but other charities and sometimes members of the unit may give help

As a regular, the last day of service is the day you die.

You are "discharged dead" on the day you die. There's a JPA process for it and everything. Your Clerks should be able to take you through it if you want to know more.

Having been mobilised twice, we were told that if we were killed in theatre, our families are responsible for the funeral costs, so we would pay our annual fee to Army Benevolent Fund for the £10,000 payment if the worst happened. I was under the impression that only the regular service personnel were entitled (generally at least) to a Military Funeral.

Having read that L/Cpl Brodie Gillon, who was a reservist killed in Iraq earlier this month, won't be able to receive her Military Funeral due to coronavirus precautions, has something changed, or are there guidelines about who is eligible for Military Funeral?
Really. You use this young medics death and funeral as a way to have a go at a non existent injustice. **** off .

Really. You use this young medics death and funeral as a way to have a go at a non existent injustice. **** off .
No, you **** off. I was reading about her funeral details today and it brought up that it was a military funeral , I wasn't aware that reservists were entitled to one due to what I may have been wrongly told in past mobilisations

No, you **** off. I was reading about her funeral details today and it brought up that it was a military funeral , I wasn't aware that reservists were entitled to one due to what I may have been wrongly told in past mobilisations
Cock. Seriously. Cock

Seriously. Until I read about the funeral today, I wasn't aware that reservists had an entitlement
Whether anyone is, on this day when a Serving Soldier (take a note of that) is laid to rest you chose to use her to have a dig. Cock.

If you were told that you were told wrong, as others have said. See QRs for the Army as quoted above. In defence of whatever idiot told you that, if they did, I can only think that they were encouraging mobilised personnel to maximise their insurance. Presumably at RTMC? Anyway the question of payment for funeral costs i.e funeral directors and burial or cremation fees is separate from that of attendance by a bearer party and other military representatives, who will normally attend a privately arranged funeral provided the family wish it.

Aye, right.

Seriously. Until I read about the funeral today, I wasn't aware that reservists had an entitlement
Speaking as a CVO. You were briefed wrong mate. A mobilised reservist is, essentially, a regular. There's no distinction.

I'll not go into the full ins and outs of what's available. But it's essentially paid for directly by the MoD.

The ADT payment you mention can be used to pay for added extras at the funeral, and often is, but is there to provide relief from bills, charges, put food on the table, etc. It's a cash lump-sum which can be spent as the recipient wishes.

Chances are you heard wrong or the briefer didn't make themselves clear.

Last edited:

Latest Threads