TA and what to expect.

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Mundane Amazement, Nov 8, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello everyone,

I'm a new member to these forums, just a quick hello and abit about myself is in order.

I'm British
    27 Years old
    I'm a civilian working in the printing trade
    I live in Newcastle, although I lived in Leeds for more or less 25 years.

(Any other infomation you need please feel free to ask)

I'm currently thinking of joining the TA, but before I dive in head first i'd like to gather some infomation regarding joining, and as the title says 'what to expect'

I think I will go in for an officer role but this is not decided on as yet. Can you tell me the different routes that I could go in as - both Officer and Soldier?
    When I do join up (after deciding which route to take) what options become open, in terms of specific roles? i.e Engineers to commando' etc

and my last question for now is; living in Newcastle, should I join a unit that's up here, or try join one in Yorkshire (easier to understand orders as i'm a Yorkshire man) :D

Your help would be great,
    Thanks
    M

2. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Depending on the role you want to do, it's probably best to join your local unit. Travelling long distances for 2 or 3 hours of training every week is going to get on your tits after a while.

Other than that the only advice I can give you is to go and see a few different units, chat to them, see what fits and take it from there.

3. I worked in the print industry (installation tech, flexo, gravure & offset) and gave the TA a go at 38, 2 1/2 yrs ago.

Wanted to do something different so asked for medical/CMT role. They looked at my CV and gave me to REME as a VM!

Have put a lot in and got a lot out - really enjoyed it all.

Have pushed for and am due my first tour next year.

4. Have to agree, traveling is a pain in the arse! My unit is 60 miles away but being the Highlands, it takes me an hour and a half each way. At the end of a weekend exercise I don't get away until 10(ish) at night and knackered and the drive is a real drain when tired. It does start to get to you after a while.

Winter can double the time or force me not to turn up.

Having said that, if the unit is one you really want to be in, then you have to make the sacrifice.

As for what to expect..thats very much down to individual units. Its the Admin and people that make the unit...get a shite CO/RSM/PSI and the unit will be shite.

As for which route...I wanted a Commission in my original unit, but was told to join as a Jock, get a few years under my belt, then apply. I found it then impossible to move on as it was "dead mens shoes" for promotion and I was repeatidly told that there was no vacancy! Bare in mind this unit is remote so I could not transfer to another etc etc.

Above all else...you get out what you put in. I went through a period of not being able to attend much (divorce/children/work etc) and the TA became shit for me...however I stuck it out and when I was back to normal and attending regularly, it became good again.

5. Well, it's definitely worth it, especially if you're prepared to put in some commitment and a lot of fitness training. I'm certainly considering whether to rejoin after spending a few years in it myself.

Your best move is to contact the local unit, turn up at one of the drill evening, and grab some brochures, etc. The TA is pretty much what it says on the tin after the basic training.

6. Before you decide if you want to be an officer ask yourself why. Be certain that you want to lead troops, and be certain in your own mind WHY you want to do that. Having been involved in TA officer training for 18 months I can tell you I have met quite a few who, when they sit down and think about it, aren't too sure why they want a commission. If you choose to be an officer you will be adding at least another 12 months to your training, and probably more as you have a full time job.
    If you join as a soldier you could have a herrick tour under your belt in the time it would take you to commission, if that interests you.
    What unit you join depends on what is within striking distance of where you live, do your local research.

7. Visit a couple of local units on a training evening and get a feel for them before you commit - the ethos can vary markedly. There is no route for joining a TA Unit as an Officer candidate from scratch so you'll do basic training with everyone else. Then, I'd suggest, get some experience under your belt before you apply for a Commission - I take it you have the basic educational quals required ?Don't leave it too late tho - you'll be pushing 30 before you get that Commission.

8. If you have aubit that has a role you really into, a 3 hour round trip is not a hassle. Don't be put off by th RAMC, they like peole from the NHS. Most other units are pretty open.

I am shocked the tread has got this far without someone stating you are to old / fat, will be useless in 3 years.

9. The QOY have units in Newcastle and York.

10. There is RMR in Newcastle. Good if you want a challenge although quite a large commitment. Well worth it though.
    Also 101 RA with lots of opportunity to deploy with various artillery units.

11. If you join the TA be prepared for a shit load of vitreolic abuse from 5A and others. However stick at it and it will be worthwhile.

12. I have to agree that travelling long distance gets on your tits. It takes me a good 2 hour coach journey (trying to sort out a car) to get to my TAC and another 2 to get back. Because its also unreasonable for me to claim the travel back virtually all my wages go to getting there and back. None the less, I love it and wouldn't give it up for the world!

13. Thank you all for replying!

I would like to take care of troops, I think it runs in the family (my brother is a C-Sergeant Major) and we are pretty much the same when it comes to ethics, commitment and such. However, he's been in the forces since he was 17. For myself i've never been in the forces and have always worked within the print trade. - Which is what i'm qualified for.

Forgive me but I'm finding it hard to understand some of the wordings, such as RAMC, QOY etc

14. RAMC = Royal Army Medical Corps
    QOY = Queen's Own Yeomanry

15. The Rubber Daggers won't want you unless you're exceptionally handsome and irresistible to women.
    You are?
    Good, give them a call.

CSgt Phil Gilson RMR
    Holding Troop CSgt
    Anzio House
    Quayside
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    NE6 1BU
    Tel No: 0191 265 2775
    Mob No: 07884 281820