TA and risk reduction run etc

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by syguy, Jan 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I was looking at joining the army full time but decided that the TA would be a better fit for me.

I was doing some reading regarding the fitness standards required by different units and wasn't sure about the 1.5 mile requirements.

From what I have read here on a few threads here is that part of the initial recruitment process involves a 'risk reduction run' which is a 1.5 mile run in under 14 mins, I am not sure where this sits in the recruitment process and adsc (or the ta equivalent).

If you pass the run (currently doing 1.5 in 10:20) are the run requirements at the recruit selection/adsc different at this point i.e. <11:30 for normal infantry and <10:30 for Para (4para TA) and also with 4PARA if you pass the RSW/ADSC you go on to PRAC, is the run requirement there 9:30 or 10:30 with it being the TA ?

I've made some calls and sent some emails to my local units and am waiting back for some more info from them but just hoped that someone on here (Duke maybe?) would be able to shed some light on the matter in the meantime while I am waiting for a response.

2. The risk reduction run, is a part of Selection, as you pointed out yes its 1.5 miles in under 14 mins, it's is used as a gauge of the level of fitness as you start your TA / Reg career.

You will then need to pass your Personal Fitness Assessment (PFA) which consists of sit ups, press up and then a 1.5 mile run, the amount of sit ups, press up's and run time depend on your age and if you are male / female.

3. Hi Stilts,

Thanks for the reply !

I am 31 and Male, any ideas (or links) to what sort of numbers would they be looking for ?

The regiments I have contacted are 4Para in Leeds and 7 Rifles in Doncaster, I've not been able to find any specific benchmarks for 7 Rifles so I am totally in the dark in regards to thier requirements (after speaking to the recruiter on the phone last week he said it shouldn't be a problem - he mentioned 14 mins and said I would have 2 - 3 months until the RSW/ADSC but nothing beyond that). I have heard that 4Para TA entry is 10:30 but I wasn't sure if that was the RSW/ADSC time or what the exact process is for those guys i.e. RiskRedRun-RSW-PRAC-PCompany?

4. For the rest of the army you need to run a PFT in 11 minutes. If the TA paras is anything like the real paras the time is 9.18.
  5. Hi Stacker,

Thanks also for the reply, just found a document on the official army site with the adsc run, lift and carry times on ( http://www.army.mod.uk/documents/general/ADSC_Fitness_Selection_Standards.pdf ) which states it's 10:30 for TA Para but doesn't list anything like pressups/chinups/pullups on although I heard these were no longer done at ADSCas the powerbag had replaced it ?
  6. I'm not a para, (I'm far to sensible/handsome/brave for that) so I can't help you with their standards ( I knew the run time because its the same as the AAPC that some of my mates have done).
  7. PM the Duke - he will give you chapter and verse. I would suggest that if you want to go for 4 PARA anything above 9.30 would be unacceptable at any stage of the process, no matter what the official line is.
  8. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

If you want to join 4 Para, you will attend a TA Recruit Selection weekend (TARS) along with everyone else who wants to join the TA. Within this, you will need to complete a Risk Reduction Run of 1.5 miles. The standard to join the TA is 14 minutes. I have heard of this being reduced to 12.5 minutes to join TA Inf, but you will need to be sub 10 minutes (10.30 under exceptional circumstances) to be accepted to start training with 4 Para.

There may be a gap of several months between attending TARS and the start of your recruit training, so don't waste that time.

To stand a realistic chance of keeping up with the pace of fitness training on the cadre, you will need to be comfortably under 9.30 mins by weekend 1 of the recruit training course. The pace will only get quicker from there!

4 Para recruits do not attend PRAC.
  9. The time is 11:00 for >30<35 yr old males its an armywide basic test.
    Airborne forces like you to get under 9:30 as you should be fitter than the rest of the army.
    The 9:08 came about at regular selection centres when a a skinny young lad who can't lift much weight should be able to run like the wind.

Cant remember what the other stuff is exactly for your age but it is 50 press ups and 44 sit ups for <30

Anyway you should be aiming for 75 of each.
  10. Risk reduction, regardless of unit is 14 minutes im led to beileve. However they do expect you to get around the time of your chosen capbadge, so realistically for 7 rifles you should be aiming for sub 10:30 really which is the standard infantry time (though with your age you may get longer i suggest you try and get low as possible guys who rely on there age tend to be mongs). When i was doing mine a guy got 13:something and was told though he "technically" passed to build on his fittness drastically if he wished to continue as at the end of phase 1 training your expected to get under your chosen capbadge time. Thats what i got told to do a long time ago, i cant comment on 4 para however i assume they would stick to the para times surely. I suggest you ask the unit your wishing to join really for accurate infomation, but in all honesty dont worry about it. The best advice i ever got about a mile and half was "run.." 10:30 is realistically an easy to attain. Best of luck with the future.
  11. Thanks guys, currently running 1.5 mile in 10:20 although I have only really started attempting best efforts at this distance in the last 2 weeks, can do about 70 situps in 2 mins and about 55 pressups (havent tested this in a while on best effort), just been working on generally getting fit and improving across the board.

I lost 8 stone since last May (just under 15 stone currently @ 6ft so BMI wise still a bit high), dropped a hell of a lot of fat and have got myself relatively trim and fitness isn't too bad either although there is still excess and I have about another 1 stone to go but just wanting to start training and making inquiries as to what standard I need to reach as I don't mind training for another 12 months if it gets me where I want to be.

thanks to all for the info.
  12. Duke just wondering, during this period would I be doing any training in the meantime with the TA unit or would it be a case of come back in x months to start training ?
  13. So no unauthorised small arms fire?
  14. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

It will vary by location depending on the availability of suitably trained staff. Boring, but the only answer is to ask at the TA centre you will be attending.
  15. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

The pass mark for run times (and the power lift and jerry-can carry) do actually vary depending on which branch you are looking to join. The pass-mark for the Infantry (less the Parachute Regiment) is 12 mins 45 secs, but you are advised to be running well under this time. The pdf link posted by syguy from the Army website is current and correct.