TA and graduate recruitment schemes

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by henrik_larson, May 4, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know there has been several posts on whether you should put TA on your CV or mention it at uni. However, I have a specific question:

Does anyone have experience applying to the varies big graduate recruitment schemes such as Accenture and PWC etc?

Soon I must put together my CV and applications for when I finish uni next year. Hopefully I commission in a few months and therefore supposedly have gained leadership and management skills; putting these into practice back at my Tp. I thought seems as we're always told how we gain these transferable skills I might be able to use them to help prove I have the skills and experience they list they are looking for as I haven't had a real civi career before.

Anyone know if this might be a help or a hindrance in this situation?

EDITED: to say 'Accenture' instead of stupidly 'Adventure'.

2. msr

msr LE

Do you mean Accenture?

3. I've always put it on the CV. I was a Royal Artillery Officer while I was at university and it went down well with my current 'arms dealing' employer in the interview.

I work with a lot of ex-RAF and Fleet Air Arm types. Bloody good bunch by and large... However... because of my former rank one or two feel distinctly threatened and seek out any opportunity to undermine or belittle... I guess these guys got dicked about by a JENGO or never passed the board...

Essentially... the civilian world is full of lazy, backstabbing, underachieving throbbers, so don't expect any sort of professional respect from some corporate 'rubber desk johnny' because you've been to RMAS.

My advice; put it on the CV... just learn to adapt to the 'civilians' tactic when you enter his turf...
    Especially when you look up and realise you're doing the whole offices work for them because you have a good work ethic and a modicum of integrity... :x

4. I put my TA experience (then: CMSR and a lot of officer training) on my CV when applying to numerous graduate jobs last year, obviously civvy-ised and sold using HR speak. I got plenty of interviews, multiple offers and joined one of the big firms, I can assure you no-one I encountered looked on it unfavourably. It gave me something entirely different to talk about at interview, and in fact was the primary focus of two different interviews with finance companies in London. I'd stick it on there, and sell it properly, anything to differentiate yourself from all the other people piling out of university and into the market.

Any more specific questions I will be more than happy to answer, on here or PM if you'd rather.

Best,

Fluff_eei

5. I had exactly the same experience recently and have now accepted a job at one of the big 4. As Fluff_eei says, it's all about how you phrase it. My TA experience was in a very small section towards the end of my CV but it ended up being a strong discussion point in more than one interview.

6. My view is that whilst at Uni not only did you gain a good degree, but also took on a quite demanding training package that has enhanced your personal development.

I would imagine most potential employers would recognise that you are a hard working and committed individual, and yes you should include your TA training on your CV as it will help you stand out.

The difficulty arises around your continued commitment to the TA, when asked this question at interview you may need to tailor your response accordingly!!!

7. I had this conundrum earlier this year and after contact with a few firms, I now have a training contract with a Magic Circle law firm. My advice to you would be to put it on the CV, but not to play it up too much. I say this for two reasons:

1) A large firm will be committing thousands of pounds to every graduate they take on, especially if they need to pass exams as they do in sectors such as law or accountancy. Very obviously they don't want to be in the position where they have put time and money into you and then you either a) f*** off to a full-time career in the regs after going on ops or b) are injured or even killed on ops with the TA.

2) This year especially, competition is so fierce for places with the best firms, that for every place they usually have 3-4 people who are pretty much equal in terms of qualifications, ability, motivation etc. In this case the small things are the only way for them to distinguish between candidates - something like the TA could easily be seen as a question mark by them: does he want a career with us or the army? Is he going to want time off to go on ops? Could he be injured? Obviously they will take the candidate with the least question marks in most cases.

So yes, go for it - be proud of the skills and satisfaction you get from the Army, but be wary of how it sounds to others and the reservations they may have from an employer's point of view. If it comes up in the interview, my approach was always to say that I felt my life was much the better for involvement with the Army, but that my career came first and nothing was set in stone with military commitments - then steer the conversation away from army stuff...

Hope this helps, good luck!

8. Its really strange but I get the impression that talking about guns, beastings and port fuelled outrage are getting the wrong kinds of laughs during my interviews.