TA and Fitness

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Derfel2010, Apr 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dear all,

I have just joined the TA, and am concentrating on getting fit.

My current 1.5 mile run time is 13 mins, which although is good enough to get me in, is still shocking to me!

My question is that as a 36 year old bloke, weighing 15 stone (although I'm not overly fat) who has trained on and off and always been active, what should I aim for in terms of respectable fitness?

Although age wise for joining I am ancient, its something I have always wanted to do. A whole load of life issues got in the way previously, but now I am here I want to give it my all. Paramount to this is obviously being as fit as possible, but what is realistic?

Thanks for your advice.

2. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

Realistic is 9 min.

3. 9 mins - with consistent training how long should that take?

4. 540 seconds.

Sorry. Someone had to.

5. Yeah I fell right into that one!

6. At 36 you will be required to do the 1.5 miles in 11:30.

Under 30 you need to be able to do it in 10:30 which would be a good time to aim for. Clearly the fitter you are the better. The standards are minimums.

I'm **** at running , just for the record..... :x

7. Yeah I'm pretty crap myself at running, the rest of the strength stuff, and endurance I'm far better at.

8. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

With a fairly decent training programme you should get your time down from 13 min to 9 min in about 2-3 months.

9. Thanks Bear

10. 11.30 or under is definately do-able. I'm 41 and as a bit of a personal challenge last year I decided to put myself through my own BFT (I know its not called that anymore) Build upto it, interval training/fartlegs etc should build your speed and stamina.

Took me about 3 months to sort myself and managed to drop a stone in weight whilst I was at it! Had to drop the weight cos I also wanted a parachute jump as well for my 40th and the civvie weight limit was 15 St. for a static line jump.

My 1.5 miler was 10.48 if memory serves.

11. That sounds reasonable. You won't obviously turn into a racing snake over night and some guys are just not built for speed.

Aim to do sub 10.30, that is the standard that us youngsters are expected to do it in and more than acceptable for an old git like yourself :lol:

12. In my younger days 9 minutes was a strole in the park..now I am 43 I manage around the 10 minute mark. I am a bit overweight for my build but have always been a runner rather than a "strength" type person so have issues in other areas.

I remember the days when we had to do 3 miles in boots and combats...:)

13. Interesting. With a really decent phys programme (Reg CC RMAS) of over a year I was still only able to achieve 9.15 and I was like a bean pole then. So not everyone is built for speed.

However, I've yet to encounter a situation on Ops that requires me to leg it for 1 1/2 miles in sub 10.30. Short bursts, yes, but more about distance stamina for patrolling.

14. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

As the man said you have 11:30 to do it in. You need to aim to be able to do that and the sit-ups and press-ups comfortably. Its no use being able to force yourself around on the day and being completely ruined at the end.

One of the things the PTI's have said to me is that a soldier should to be able to run 6 - 8 miles at a fair lick and not be in bits at the end of it. If you can do that the PFA will also fall into place.

15. TA and fitness?

Sorry that just does not compute. TA and overweight alcoholics does though.