TA and E-mail - missed opportunity?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by TA_sig, Feb 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey all,

Having moved the length of the country I've been trying to get in touch with a new TA regiment, I tracked down their entry on the RFCA website for my area and pinged them a fairly well composed e-mail. It's been two weeks and no reply.. Due time for a phone call.

Last year I could not attend camp as work appeared at short notice, I tried to call my TAC but no answer, so I found my PSAO's public e-mail address (on regiments website) and pinged off an e-mail. No reply, and was questioned why I didn't attend camp.

Hmm, just remembered my last OC has not responded to my letter of 'goodbye and thanks for all the war' I sent several months ago. Maybe I'm just in a comms blackhole.

How many potential recruits get missed off due to publicly listed e-mail addresses not being checked or answered. Both e-mails did not bounce, they just went unanswered. It's easy to send off an e-mail during lunch at work hours, but phones are a different matter - besides they rarely get answered anyway. Does anyone else get frustrated with how hard it is to get in touch with their units?

Oh, if anyone in SERFCA wants a Class 2 radop with some rapidly expanding IS skills then give me a shout.

2. Remember, as a Class 2 Radop I'm surprised you need this reminder too BTW, sending a communication does not mean it has been received...Ack. K.

The really reliable way to make a communication, albeit in the somewhat antique way, is to write a letter; preferably using good skills of service writing. Also keep a date stamped or dated in any case copy for "court martial" purposes!!

3. Dead on C,

My civvy job is in the IT support world, and I would never trust an Email for anything important.

4. I agree with TA Sig emails should be answered very quickly, but it seems most PSAO’s just can’t be bothered. The telephone systems within the TAC’s is very poor, no direct dial facility and in some cases you have to go via the MGS who doesn’t have a Scooby doo who to transfer the call to.
    Since I take it your from a Signals unit what a poor advertisement for the leaders in IT & Communications.

5. I have also had problems with emails, triad getting in touch with my own unit in the past with emails and had know luck, also since last year apparently my unit sends training information out be emails and no matter how many times I give my email address out to the right people I still have not been sent any info by email.

I have been looking into changing units or possibly services, and due to certain circumstances I am not sure what unit's are available to me, so I have been sending out emails the past week to a few different places and so far the only people who have got back in touch with me are the RAF reserve and that was the next day.

6. I think you've missed the point.

TA_Sigs point was that they offered the 'opportunity' of communication but failed to fulfil the promise by answering it (or even opening their inbox). Better not to offer.

Remember 'under promise and over deliver'

7. E.mail is the curse of the modern era. Look at North Korea, they don't have it at all.

8. Maybe, maybe not, many of us have been have been using IT/email for many years, some of the PSAO's are newbies to this way of life. The do not understand this way of working, I guess many would be amazed at the amount of Sqn info thats being passed around in electronic form (they won't have been exposed to IT as much as us civvies have).

The next remark is true. Some of the comms systems we have been using are well dated, my unit (as with many others) went through a very rapid modernisation which put many people out of their comfort zone (e.g. good reliable radio operator suddenly become unusable as they knew nothing about IT) and they left. Most people who are now standing out at my unit are those with professional IT skills, not those who have been taught ancient comms methods.
    As an example, MS Exchange does much of what RSigs used to do with a procedure called ACP127. Many of these luddites still want to use ACP 127 even though modern email systems do most of what ACP 127 is aimed at achieving.

Don't rely on email, what about read receipts

9. Some good points. My main gripe was picked up by Wingletang, why offer a means of communication when it will go unanswered? Letter writing isn't always effective, since I've not yet seen a reply from my Sqn of three years. Could have been lost in the mail though ;). Most potential recruits from out of town would try to call (often has to try several times), a few would then e-mail and even fewer would finally write a letter.

As for e-mail not being effective, it's curious that I can hammer out e-mails all day to various parties in house and out, and not had a failure in my the last... well forever. Emails into the TA MOD accounts, never apparently leaving the MOD domain (whose exchange servers I would hope are well kept) always appear to fail. Curious non?

It's quite usual to get a notification if the account does not exist, don't know if this is setup on the mod network though. I'd hope so though. Perhaps Armynet was wrecked, but then the potential Sqns get my number, and it's nearly always manned. ;) I'm fairly persistant, and like the TA so will keep hammering various people until I get through to them, but I bet that quite a few people give up.

On Polar's post:
    What IS courses are available to the average OR? A siggy for that matter. Are there in house courses specific to setting up server 2k3, Exchange, SQL Server? What about CCM or whatever their VOIP systems are setup on? A course that maps to ICND? I'd do them, if they were any good.

TA_s

10. outside of the Defence Learning Centre schemes, I don't think their is much. The main courses I am aware of include the Content Management course which allows you to create to create web pages for the mod site and windows administrator courses which allow you to manage users accounts and printers on DII.

I've been told these courses are quite basic.

I'd concentrate on getting converted to BOWMAN this year

11. Completely off topic - Cuddles, 4th of Foot. There's some kind of family resemblance. Are you two related by any chance?

12. Certainly a good resource for contacting individuals, but I don't think it should be relied on as the only source of communication.

Three quarters of the e-mails that I was sent over the last year (as the only contact from my unit) were not exactly what I was after when I joined ;

They were;

An invitation from ‘Scrapheap Challenge’ programme to build a Wellie throwing machine

An invitation to go skiing

Clarification on the Army's position on Europride, the gay/lesbian festival in London (wear civvies if you want to attend was what I gleaned from this gem)

I thought I might get some mails about shooting, running around in green but sadly I was wrong.

13. msr

msr LE

Don't confuse the medium with the message.

msr

14. I believe Armynet has a facility to allow troop commanders to email all the soldiers in their troop directly.

It also has a function, it would seem, where you can send a text message to your entire troop/plt through armynet which a) saves you the cost of the texts and b) if your soldiers admin is up to date makes sure they have the message.

So the army isn't completely behind.

15. I think (might be wrong) that the Text option was being trialed by a select few units

edit;

Since December 2005 the Spearhead Lead Element (SLE), The 2nd Battalion The Light Infantry(2LI), part of 52 Infantry Brigade has been undertaking a texting trial to see the value of this medium of communication to the modern Army.

Due to the early successes of the trial, accounts to make use of this facility have been given to many different units and organisations across the Army to demonstrate the utility of a communication method that has been used unofficially for years. Units involved in this follow up trial are: 3 Div, 16 Bde, 20 Bde, The Rifle Volunteers (The Civil Contingency Reaction Force), the office of The Director Manning Army (DMA) and the office of the Commander Regional Forces to name a few.

This trial will allow those with accounts in to send hundreds of text messages to mobile phones at the touch of a button from within ArmyNET or even via a help desk if users have no access to ArmyNET. It will also allow them to monitor sent texts to ensure they have been received. This is a new and efficient means of communication that has already been proved to save time, improve efficiency and save the Army money.

The trial not aimed at replacing systems currently in place, but will demonstrate how this new method of communicating could benefit the Army should it be formally adopted in the future.

The trial is being sponsored by LAND CBM AIS WebEx in partnership with PageOne.