TA AMS recruitment advice

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by metplod, Jan 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

Wonder if anyone can pass on some advice. My other half is a nurse of some 20 years standing, experienced in a&e, orthopedics and theatres, which was her speciality. She has now moved into the private medical sector in a management role, but misses the challenge that her old job gave her.

I have suggested she considers joining the TA, and am aware that she would probably qualify for the PQO scheme with AMS.

We live in Berkshire and have just sent off for some initial info, however, if anyone has any advice as to whether she would be better considering a national or independent unit, and which are the better ones it would be great.

Also a realistic timescale from application to appointment would help.

Kind Regards
    MP

(Mods pls feel free to move this post if necessary)

2. In response to your request a few questions first:
    1. Is your partner phsically fit (PFT etc)?
    2. Are they clinically current in the specific fields you stated (A&E, Theatres)

A&E and Theatre Nurses are in short supply and therefore would be looked at favourably if your partner is still working in these fields perhaps on the bank etc. If she is purely in a management role then its 50/50 i would say. As with all things in the healthcare field it all comes down to clinical governance (competency, currency and utility).

National and Independant units will work on the same crioteria the question of which unit to join is vacancy and individually driven. Depending on where you live and how far your nearest AMS TA unit is and how much time you as the individual (partner) are willing to commit to training. Depending on where you live in Berkshire depends on what wiould be easiest for you to travel too. Oxford or Kingston for local units probably or Central London ( Independant Units 27 days per year) or York ( National Unit 19 days per year once trained)

If you require further advice PM me or contact the AMS TA recruiting teamat York on 01904 442682 or 256 Fd Hospital (London) on 0207735 2811

3. In response to your request a few questions first:
    1. Is your partner phsically fit (PFT etc)?
    2. Are they clinically current in the specific fields you stated (A&E, Theatres)

A&E and Theatre Nurses are in short supply and therefore would be looked at favourably if your partner is still working in these fields perhaps on the bank etc. If she is purely in a management role then its 50/50 i would say. As with all things in the healthcare field it all comes down to clinical governance (competency, currency and utility).

National and Independant units will work on the same crioteria the question of which unit to join is vacancy and individually driven. Depending on where you live and how far your nearest AMS TA unit is and how much time you as the individual (partner) are willing to commit to training. Depending on where you live in Berkshire depends on what wiould be easiest for you to travel too. Oxford or Kingston for local units probably or Central London ( Independant Units 27 days per year) or York ( National Unit 19 days per year once trained)

If you require further advice PM me or contact the AMS TA recruiting teamat York on 01904 442682 or 256 Fd Hospital (London) on 0207735 2811

4. Just a correction for 256's phone numbers, C Sqn (Kingston) is on 0207 414 3050, RHQ is 0207 091 2658. Give them a buzz, we'll be pleased to have a chat, bearing in mind the Clin Governance bits that Deadbeat's already mentioned. Thanks.

5. Time scale from application to appointment -

This is for National Unit in York, actually probably takes a bit longer than a regional unit -

Make initial contact, e-mail CV
    York e-mails back forms to fill in
    Return completed forms by e-mail
    Assigned to next medical/attestation day

Took me about 10 days from initial contact to getting my date to go over. They have a medical and attestation day every 1 to 2 months. Really shouldn't take long at all

6. I live and work in the NHS in Berkshire as well and find that it is fairly easy to get to 256 Fd Hosp in London. we have 4 Sqns to chose from. get in touch with my recruiting team on 020 7414 5446, alternativing pm me and i can try and help.

7. Im a reg and I deployed on Telic with 256, good bunch you could do a lot worse by going to a different Fd Hosp. (1 or 2 of their reg officers are choppers but thats life.)

8. Trust me, I was at 256 for a while, and you don't have to be that physically fit....