TA All Arms Commando Course (for officers too).

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Sam3212, Oct 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello All,

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere but, for the life of me, I can't find it on ARRSE.

I recently passed my TA Commissioning Course and was told by Plt Cmdr. I was in the top 3 of the platoon and was the overall fittest on the course (i'm not swinging the lamp it's just so you know i'm not a *total* STAB).

I'll be taking over my local TA unit (Lancaster - 4 LANCS) after a few weeks on-the-job training in Barrow and, after that, be putting myself forward for pre-op training for 2013. I'm very interested in attempting (and passing) the All Arms Commando Course at some point - I always had an aspiration to join the Marines and, whilst civvie life put a damper on that, I'm massively set on doing it; aspiring to another goal if you want to call it that.

Does anyone know if this is open to TA infantry (officers as well) because there's tonnes of stuff here saying 'RE, RLC, Navy medics only but you can pull strings etc etc' so prior to me pestering the RM with bone questions I thought i'd ask on here. Cheers for any response.

2. In these times of austerity I dont fancy your chances much unless you're capbadged to a commando unit, eg 131 Fd Sqn RE as there is no real reason to attempt the course, other than badge collecting, otherwise.

You say that you have always aspired to join the RM. May I ask why you went TA rather than RMR, which would seem to be a better option given your aspiration?

Having said all that well done for wanting to challenge yourself, and if you dont ask you dont get.
  3. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

The TA Commissioning course must have upped its game a bit if you go from commissioning to commanding 4 Lancs in such a short time and just a few weeks of on the job training!

And the DS answer to your question is: Highly unlikely as there is no justification for you to do it other than badge collecting, but only the person loading the course will be able to give the final yes/no (assuming your CO and TM are happy for you to swan off badge hunting?).
  4. You either need to fill a Cdo designated role to attempt the course or be sponsored by a Cdo Unit to go forward.

I doubt very much you will be loaded onto the course as you have no affiliation with the Bde.
  5. If its not relevant to your unit they'll possibly let you do it if you do the course unpaid. Probably easier to get mobilised with an AACC unit as an attachment and get them to put you through the course as part of your Pre-Deployment. I had a shufti on Armynet and there's Bugger all on AACC. Have a word with your PSI and get him to dig out the courses book.

"...aspiring to another goal if you want to call it that". When it comes to the Marines, I'll call it a sexual deviancy involving the desire to strip bolocky buff in front of other men and **** on a biscuit. It seems more accurate.
  6. thats one hard course to pass!
  7. It is hard but it is not impossible, I managed it but I've never been a racing snake and I'm not the best load carrier in the world (being a short arse!). It's one of those courses that you simply have to keep going - it's all about mental robustness
  8. It's not really though is it? I mean, Stephen Hawking has pretty amazing mental robustness but I don't see him being 'daggered' any time soon.
    • Like Like x 8
  9. engr172

engr172 Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Now THAT is the quote of the day.....
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Thanks for the replies (even if they have followed ARRSE traditions into wildly deviating to Stephen Hawking wearing the dagger).

To answer Sundance I didn't join full time to the military simply because life after uni sort of tied me down to a part-time role (business/family/personal commitments) but I can still do some good (I hope) in the TA, especially as it's going to playing a more important role in the near future (if the Brass is to be believed).

And Duke, unfortunately I won't be commanding the entire of 4 Lancs: just be a plt cmr...though I was given mess dress with a colonel's insignia on - quick promotions are always welcome. Also, I wouldn't say I was badge-hunting, I'm just in the best physical/mental levels i'll ever be at right now and if I don't try it now i'll regret it.

I'll ask around Btn and any concrete info I find out i'll be sure to put on here in case any aspirants like me want to know more.
  11. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Why not have a chat with 4 Para as well? Unless you have strong ties to the Lancs, you could still do an arduous selection course, but with the option of working as a rifle platoon commander in 4 Para if you are successful.
  12. The Royal Marines Reserve (RMR) is exactly what it says on the tin, part time Royal Marines. Think TA but with more naked roll mat fighting (and less pies before the inevitable and always original STAB bashing starts)
  13. Unless you have a role in 3 Cdo Bde to go to I cannot see them taking you on the course no matter how fit or mentally prepared you are.
  14. You are talking about the Reserve Forces Commando Course (RFCC) not the All Arms Commando Course (AACC) which is for regular army only. The RFCC is run by RM at CTCRM and will include both RMR and TA 'students' and will run 3-5 times a year.

All TA personnel will belong to one of the Commando Reserve units 131, 266, 383 etc with the pre-training (minimum six weekends and a Confirmation Weekend) currently being headed up by a training team from 131 Indep Cdo Sqn RE (V).

The TA Sappers re-roled a few years ago to put all their airborne units in the North (299 Sqn) and keep the Commando units in the South (131 Sqn). RMR, however, still have RMR Tyne up North (amongst others).

If you want to be a Commando then you need to transfer to a Commando unit; I can assure you that the training team are will versed in dealing with young officers who fancy a badge. Their response will be short and to the point unless you can come up with a REALLY good reason to get a place.

Hope that has helped,