• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

TA All Arm Drill Course

Has anybody attended the TA All Arms Drill Course. I am thinking of putting my name down for it as it would help me as i go up the senior ranks. Where is it and do they teach from the basics?

It has a few subtle differences to the proper army drill course

You wil learn how to form you troops into a gaggle formation and the correct way to meander from A to B

You will also learn how to halt your troops with words of command such as:

CLIPITY CLOP SQUUUUUUUUUUAAAAAAAAD STOP

Oh and remember to always say please and thank you at the appropriate time
:wink:

WelshMog567 said:
Still got to look ahead though , very witty post I like it I like it a lot.
I havent known anyone do it for years. The last bloke I kew did it at Pirbright. 2 weeks of drill, pretty much from the basics with plenty of drinking. He loved it but that must have been at least 10yrs ago.

I did it last year. It is now run up in sunny Catterick, 2 weeks dress is CS95 and you learn/teach 2 drill movements per day, foot drill, quick march, slow march weapon drill etc.

Not much bullshite, or get you pissed or hedge to play in!

Get your head in to the Drill Manual as it will make learning the phrases / lessons easier.

Stilts

CAARPS said:

You wil learn how to form you troops into a gaggle formation and the correct way to meander from A to B

You forgot, 'Move to the right you column of shite, Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight..... TURN!' :D

StickyToffeePudding said:
CAARPS said:

You forgot, 'Move to the right you column of shite, Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight..... TURN!' :D
Or

SQUAD WILL RETIRE ABOUUUUUUUUT……………………………Off to the bar we go then :p

WelshMog567 said:
Has anybody attended the TA All Arms Drill Course. I am thinking of putting my name down for it as it would help me as i go up the senior ranks.
When considering you for promotion I don't think that anybody really gives a flying fcuk about your ability or otherwise to teach drill.

There are, possibly, a couple of more useful skills,

Bravo_Bravo said:
Not sure anything that advanced is actually covered.
Unless you consider being on a course with sex-offending cadet instructors, walt cadet instructers, locally promoted regular Sgts who will hate you, obese TA SSgts that are only there because their unit won't send them on any other course for 2 weeks to be a unique challenge, then you are correct.

Once you've done that course there's another one you may be interested in. It teaches you all you need to know about instructing in the different methods of whitewashing coal. It's great and completely relevant to the cash strapped modern army.
It even covers all the H&S aspects as well. :lol:

Wouldn't SAA instructor or PTI be a more useful course, in fact pretty much any instructional course be better than fecking drill!!! Or do you just want to large it with a pace stick and cliched expressions?

sticky said:
Wouldn't SAA instructor or PTI be a more useful course, in fact pretty much any instructional course be better than fecking drill!!! Or do you just want to large it with a pace stick and cliched expressions?
:judge: Top post.

Can we also bin any further reference to issuing new forms of ceremonial dress, medals, garden parties etc - at least until someone identifies some cash we really can afford to waste on frippery.

As someone who did the course when it was at pirbright unless you are going to be an instructor at an RTC dont bother doing it SAAI or another MATT's instructor course is much more benificial

sticky said:
I think you've just listed the advantages for doing the course

Devil's Advocate:

For: Because the TA ends up looking like a sack of shite when attending formal parades! Someone’s got to do it, just because it doesn’t fit in to your aspirations, why not let the spotty fat kid crack on?? (no reference to the original poster btw).

Against: Other MATTs qauls are in some cases desperately sought after in house, let alone at RTC’s. The possibility of job satisfaction is greater due to having more opportunity to use the quals.

On the comment about “larging it with a pace stick” – I find it funny how people who haven’t done or have zero interest for the course/qual, tend to belittle the ceremonial decorations which come with the qual (crossed rifles, swords, pace stick). That is, until they do the course then most quite happily wear said adornments!

Another case of testicle-swinging and opinion baiting! At the end of the day, personal careers are personal choice.

Latest Threads