TA AGC, RLC and RSIGNALS Recruiting and Retention problems?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by polar, Jul 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not sure where I read it but all three are having problems. I understand AMS problems may be difficult to the other two (they count for 2/3 of the AMS and so have had major operational demands put on them).

Are civvies understanding the TA a lot more, then picking the more 'action or adventure' units?
    Did RLC/Sigs have the wrong type of people and many jumped ship at the hint of the first mobilisation?

2. Don't have access to figures on recruiting to know whether your main assertion is right, however in terms of your comments regarding mobilisation:

Given that the RLC TA has had two full regiments deployed on TELIC, plus 1 composite squadron & numerous composite troops deplyoed to Iraq all in role, together with a composite troop attached to the Cdo Log Regt on HERRICK, a composite sqn deploying there shortly, and a considerable number of IRs in both theatres, I don't think lack of deployability, or willingness to deploy is relevant in that cap badge. Don't have exact figures to hand, but it would not be unusual for an RLC TA unit to have had 60-70% of its personnel having deployed on recent ops.

Post FAS pairing effectively leaves a sub-unit out of the ORBAT of every Regular TA regiment to be filled on LSDI by a composite sqn from a paired TA regiment. On smaller scale ops, a smaller contingent may backfill.

AMS have seen a signifcant number of TA Field Hospitals roule through Iraq, plus many other posts (often repeat deployments) so, again, I doubt your suggestion is correct.

Don't know much about RSIGNALS.

3. The Sigs haven't deployed in that way, on Telic/Herrick its mainly been IR's.

I can't remember where the first bit came from, I suspect it was mentioned in the commons (from a link on this site).

4. I'm not aware of anyone from my unit jumping ship as a result of possible mobilisation (well maybe one, but he was going to become a special constable instead).

I think you are right in that the new breed of TA recruits are probably more motivated by the thought of going somewhere hot and having an adventure and so would gravitate towards the teeth arms.

Could it be that recruits who join the support arms stay in longer but fewer people come through the doors of such units ?

5. Of the people I know considered TA (@work):

1 went to Sigs in Leeds and was put off by the rumoured mobilisation
    1 also went to Sigs@Leeds but found the distance too far (didn't fancy Inf which was the main choice in West part of the county)
    Another joined the TA RE
    last one was doing a uni course and thought the Iraq war would get in the way of his studies

Guess which one was unemployed (at the time)........

Reasons why people have left:

a. Equipment modernisation (taken out of their comfort zone and didn't have a clue about IT) - we lost a higher precentage of high pay band soldiers. This also applies to a number of new recruits who we are struggling to train up as base skills are missing
    b. Bad experience on tours
    c. gained quals/contacts and so got a new job (e.g. driving license)
    d. new job incompatible with TA
    e. Unhappy with the TA Sigs (transferred to infantry)

Seems to be a different thing each year, with the above being in date order (also in rank order more senior ranks first -last one was several 'new' breed TA, although the first problem seems to be making a comeback)

6. Polar,
    Sounds like the guys who went along for a look and didn't like it (for whatever reason) and then moved on saved a lot of nugatory time and effort on behalf of the recruiting staff.

People will always come and go, 'tis the nature of the beast. And its the same for a Regular Colleagues too. People get to certain points in their lives and want a change. What may have been fun and rewarding when young and single changes priority as girlfriend/wife/kids/mortgage/jobs come along. The TA will always suffer this.

I found that the majority who handed their kit in during the run up to Telic 1 were deadwood, and to be perfectly honest, no one missed them, they were bounty hunters and we've survived. Sure, a few folk left after their Telic tour, thinking been there, done that, time for something else. (This is also affecting the Regulars - 20/21 year olds with 3 Op Tours under their belt are signing off).

However a lot of the malaise is fixable at unit and sub unit level. Imaginative, demanding and relevant training with opportunities to advance = happy soldiers. Most of that is achievable within the CoC.

7. Maybe but some things are harder to fix. All the better recruited/stronger sqns Sigs in the North of England all appear to be very close to Universities areas:

These are Manchester troop 93 Sig Sqn, Hull troop 49 Sig Sqn, remainder of 49 in Leeds, Nottingham troop 64 Sig Sqn.

The only one that bucks this 42 in Manchester (but its a big city).

The next strongest group are in inner city/town areas

Some of the weakest are in out of town areas, the weakest ones being in council estates e.g. HQ Sqn 38 Sig Regt /64 Sig Sqn Manor Top Sheffield and HQ Sqn 34 Sig Regt/90 Sig Sqn @ Bramballs Farm (maybe not weak but too many Sqns for the area).

8. Maybe the problem with TA Sigs is that the kit that they use isn't the same as their regular counterparts.
    i.e They can communicate very well, but only within their own unit! Getting mobilised to a COMCEN isn't very appealing either.

9. Going on the largest UK ex for several years and as a SSgt being placed in a COMMCEN isn't either

10. A lot of people tend to transfer units once they've mobilised. Mobilisation is obviously a big part of being in the TA so if the lads and lasses are going to be stuck in a dark office being abused by regular signallers then there isn't much incentive to stay.

A lot of Siggies are actually very clever people who have good jobs in the comms industry. However, life as a Siggy revolves around stagging on, lugging masts about and generally not having a great time. Compare that with the responsibility you can gain as a Pte/LCpl in other Corps and you'll understand why people are transferring!

11. If you look at my previous post, they tend to be concentrated in certain areas. (These units also generate more officer cadets)

12. I've actually met people who didn't want to join 42 because they didn't want to be in a scouse reg!!!

13. For your particular geography/demographic.

We seem to have loads of Siggies but few OCdts.

14. "A lot of people tend to transfer units once they've mobilised. Mobilisation is obviously a big part of being in the TA so if the lads and lasses are going to be stuck in a dark office being abused by regular signallers then there isn't much incentive to stay."

i am a siggie in my local unit. i am transferring to a unit further away from my home location because the sigs wouldnt allow me to mobilise even though the badge gave us a talk about how good it is and we all should do it at least once in our lives. i am not the only person to be turned down this way. it makes me wonder why news reports say the forces are overstretched when there are willing volunteers to go and why people leave the forces if the coc wont support them

15. I don't think it is limited to North England, does Edinburgh have a large IT sector (sqn there seems to be quite strong).

If I was correct, the south should have strong Sigs Sqns along the M4, London and in the South-East.