TA- Advice needed?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by easy-touch, Aug 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, I’m after some advice so I thought I would go straight to the “horses mouth”! No offence intended! I’m after some advice on what you want from your PSI? What makes a good one and what makes a poor one? Things like that?
    I’m getting posted to a TA Med Sqn. I believe this will be a challenge for me as I have never undertook a role like this before, but I do believe I will enjoy it and will defiantly benefit from my time there personal and career wise! I am going in with my eyes wide open and I am wiling to learn and adapt. I’m down to earth, I don’t put myself on a pedestal and I believe I have the right temperament for working with the TA.

So any advice, top tips from any TA and/or Regs will be gratefully appreciated,
    Cheers!

2. Stay like that for the 2/3years, and you'll be 9/10ths the way there, mate.

3. Working as a PSI can be a brilliant experience or a miserable one and depends entirely on you. I gather that you are RAMC judging by the TRF.

Remember that were it not for the TA (especially AMS TA) we would be on Op TELIC / HERRICK almost constantly, so do please give them a lot of credit for that.

Just like a Regular unit, you will have a shed-load of really good blokes and blokesses to work with, but you will also get the knobbers and they will tend to p*ss you off more than they would in a Regular unit. Why ? Because they are often a bit wet behaind the ears and really don't understand the frustrations imposed by higher formation.

Be yourself, don't talk down the them and don't think that you know it all. Some of them are really quite bright and enjoy the TA because it adds a little bit more their lives. Engage with the best attenders, get them on your side and you're on to a winner.

Be prepared to work in isolation. I've seen really good staffies 'fail' because they're on their own in a non-garrison town and simply don't have the large Regimental 'back-up' that is normal in a CS / GS Med Regt.

TA ? Challenge right enough, but it can be very rewarding and a hoot, if you have the right qualities. You MUST be patient though and be prepared to repeat yourself.

Oh and a final point, NEVER EVER give keys to stores to a TA member on a Sunday afternoon after training. Quite often they will depart with them and YOU will be running around the country trying to find 'em.

Good luck and enjoy it.

4. Search previous threads, somewhere (msr - where are you when I need you?) there is an excellent ditty by an outgoing PSI that summed it up brilliantly.....

5. Seconded.

Furthermore, strive to ensure a 'one squadron' ethos (ie not TA/Reg/NRPS/civ staff cabals); remember that the permanent staff is there to support and facilitate the deployable element, not the other way round; keep working to improve training standards (the TA will whinge, but let them - they know its in their interests really, the TA waiver doesn't apply in Helmand/Basra); don't get disheartened when you arrange a load of training and 2 people turn up (you are competing with people's social/family life and it's not a fair fight); come to terms very quickly with the fact that you have no empire but your desk for most of the week (reacquaint yourself with the yard broom - there's probably no-one else to wield it); and use the opportunity to get any jobs on your house/car done - there's bound to be some useful skills in the ranks......

Plus, remember that what you are doing is important and valued, and enjoy it.

6. A good PSI is one who puts in 100% commitment 24/7, 365 days a year. Who sorts out all the admin well in advance and prepares and maintains the kit. Who cleans and returns all the kit to store at the end of a weekend's training, long after everybody else has left. Who is first to the bar. Who organises social functions and entertaining adventurous training. Who asks for no reward and expects no thanks. Who revels in knowing that he is hated and who seeks no retribution. Who lets the TA get on with things their way, but gently nudges in the right direction.

It's quite a simple job really ;)

All of the above will be what is expected of you at various times. Obviously it's impractical, but you need to make people believe that this is what you aspire to.

Your measure of success will probably only become apparent when you come close to finishing your stint. We are an ungrateful bunch and only realise that we have something good when it's about to disappear. PSIs are remembered for years, whether good or bad, and provide the benchmark on which to compare newcomers. The good PSIs provide excellent training value, contribute admirably to unit cohesion but stay in the background, leaving the impression that all the good features were produced by the TA management.

There was a post on here some time ago, written by a PSI coming to the end of his time. He gave some excellent advice. Even though I'd never met the bloke or served in his unit, it was clear that his were the ideals that all PSIs should aspire to and his unit would be hard pushed to get a comparable replacement. I'd like to provide a link, but I'm hopeless with the site search engine. Hopefully somebody else can help.

The respect that you earn will be proportional to the effort and organisation that you put in (but it may not be apparent for some time).

Good Luck!

7. Blushes... would this be the thread?

8. Don't nail the recruits, especially the female ones

9. msr

msr LE

10. I thought that was mandatory at some units :D :D :D

11. The higher the rank the better,, :lol: too!!

12. OMg!

13. Cheers everyone, good advice! So by the sounds of it, what I put in is defiantly what I’m going to get out of it! Looking forward to it!

Just one last check but you 100% sure about not nailing ...........Aaahhh OK! lol

14. Just don't put the video on YouTube.