TA = 4th Emergency Service and the Army Reserve

#1
Just a thought, we are branded as one, but in reality the TA is evolving into two seperate organisations.

Take the TA infantry - they are really an Army Reserve unit, although they have 'Territorial' role as framework units for the CCRF. They essentialy exist to form Force Protection coys for the regular army

Then take Signals (2(NC)Sig Bde), they are traditional Territorials, they exist to assist the other 3 blue light services (and armed forces) in major terrorist/natural disasters and I suppose now have more in common with special constables or part time firemen.

The ways that you recruit for each group are very different, for the first group you'd sell action and adventure (for someone elses community), for the other one it'd be sold as a duty to your local community. Are we now two seperate organisations, sold as one?
 
#2
Mountain Rescue and the Coast Guard might have something to say about you claiming to be the 4th Emergency service.
 
#5
A marginally blinkered view their Polar. If the TA consisted of Infantry and Signals units alone then you might have had a point, however, you fail to make any reference to RAC, RLC, REME, RE etc. Now I'll be the first to admit that I know the sum total of bugger all about other units responsibilities but I'll wager that every Regt, Corp, Guide unit etc in the TA have at some stage had members called up for active service in a sandy destination and the non teeth arm units among them might get a wee bit snakey at your suggestion that they are a glorified home help.

That said if you aren't a teeth arm you're still a big girls blouse. :lol:
 
#6
polar said:
Then take Signals (2(NC)Sig Bde), they are traditional Territorials, they exist to assist the other 3 blue light services (and armed forces) in major terrorist/natural disasters and I suppose now have more in common with special constables or part time firemen.
What about six, seven scots, 71 engineer reg and the scottish transport reg doing an ex at bishopton not so long ago- civilian asistance to a flooding with the odd jumbo crash thrown in.?

link here
 
#8
BeastAppreciationSociety. said:
What about six, seven scots, 71 engineer reg and the scottish transport reg doing an ex at bishopton not so long ago- civilian asistance to a flooding with the odd jumbo crash thrown in.?

link here
Thanks for the link. Yes I did generalise but which one do you sell to the potential recruits: civil disaster or temp agency for the regualars?

I can't even sell the TA to my own family, they still think I run around shooting guns on weekends

Bullet Sponge said:
the non teeth arm units among them might get a wee bit snakey at your suggestion that they are a glorified home help.

That said if you aren't a teeth arm you're still a big girls blouse. :lol:
hmm ... I have no problems with the size of my :p :p :p ....... My sig sqn has probably as much inf experience as the average inf coy (cause most of us are ex teeth arms).
 
#9
polar said:
Just a thought, we are branded as one, but in reality the TA is evolving into two seperate organisations...........


Then take Signals (2(NC)Sig Bde), they are traditional Territorials, they exist to assist the other 3 blue light services
Surely the traditional role of the TA was to provide the Army with cover during that embarrasing gap between the Regular Army getting itself killed or captured and the Conscripts turning up to win the war ?

Once that wee hiatus was over the TA would then provide the middle management that did the staff work, ran the logistics etc while the few remaining Regulars promoted themselves to Brigadier.
 
#10
Trossachs said:
Surely the traditional role of the TA was to provide
Been researching this recently, the TA when it was formed in 1908 was an alternative to conscription (yes I do know about the volunteers).

In both wars regulars had accelerated promotion but conscripts didn't win the wars. The 'elite' units were generally a lot closer to home (volunteers vrs diluted regulars and conscripts)
 
#11
The TA has an invaluable role and even more so now since Blair has commited british troops to several wars on several fronts.

Territorial units have a wide and interesting role many with more experience then regular counterparts but to say that they are an emergency service suggest that the regs are as well making them, if anything, the fifth emergency service but the RSPCA will be bothered then!
 
#12
[quote="polar

In both wars regulars had accelerated promotion but conscripts didn't win the wars...... [/quote]

There are a couple of blokes down the Legion who want a word with you...
 
#13
manchestercop said:
Mountain Rescue and the Coast Guard might have something to say about you claiming to be the 4th Emergency service.
I have it on good authority from an acquaintance in the force that the 4th Emergency Service is in fact Pizza Hut.
 
#14
polar said:
Thanks for the link. Yes I did generalise but which one do you sell to the potential recruits: civil disaster or temp agency for the regualars?

I can't even sell the TA to my own family, they still think I run around shooting guns on weekends

Bullet Sponge said:
the non teeth arm units among them might get a wee bit snakey at your suggestion that they are a glorified home help.

That said if you aren't a teeth arm you're still a big girls blouse. :lol:
hmm ... I have no problems with the size of my :p :p :p ........
Blouse? :twisted:
 
#15
By the sounds of some editorials at the moment. The TA are Tony's emergency manpower. Whenever a public service ups sticks and complains they are pulled in to fill the gpas in shoddy public services.

With the rate at which bits of the machine are falling off national service could be reintroduced instead of pulling people out pof employemnt (where they are actually working) to plug the gaps in the spendthrifts infrastructure.
 
#16
Trossachs said:
polar said:
In both wars regulars had accelerated promotion but conscripts didn't win the wars......
There are a couple of blokes down the Legion who want a word with you...
They probably didn't realise they were in territorial units :p :p

Just going back to my original post, is a bde that doesn't take rifles on ops, doesn't use cam nets, uses mainly white fleet wagons part of the same TA as everyone else, I've even heard rumours that we are ditching C95 and will use black coveralls like the police???
 

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
#17
Polar,

I think that you might be on to something here and it's been bothering me for a while. When I joined up I didn't really have much of an idea about the TA as such, my view was that I wanted to be reservist in the British Army. The thought of being a Blue Light auxillary has all the appeal of chewing cardboard, for me personally, and I'm wondering if I should make a leap sooner rather than later.
 
#18
polar said:
Just a thought, we are branded as one, but in reality the TA is evolving into two seperate organisations.

Take the TA infantry - they are really an Army Reserve unit, although they have 'Territorial' role as framework units for the CCRF. They essentialy exist to form Force Protection coys for the regular army

Then take Signals (2(NC)Sig Bde), they are traditional Territorials, they exist to assist the other 3 blue light services (and armed forces) in major terrorist/natural disasters and I suppose now have more in common with special constables or part time firemen.
I disagree, i'm in 2(NC) and we are not a fourth (or fifth, sixth or any other for that matter) emergency service... as we don't carry the same responsibility of saving or protecting the public.

2(NC)'s responsibilities (which have never been tested) are to support the real emergency services. We're not there to put out fires (Firemen/Regs do that), we're not there to save lives (ambulance service) and we don't deal with the law (CivPol). We don't figure in any of the above.

However, my unit have sent personnel for top cover duties in Iraq, so we are definitely more like reserve forces, only we'll never be branded as such as i think it would cause an mass exodus.

TB
 
#19
polar said:
Then take Signals (2(NC)Sig Bde), they are traditional Territorials, they exist to assist the other 3 blue light services (and armed forces) in major terrorist/natural disasters
I resigned myself to the notion that this will probably never happen.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Juniors 10
expat The Intelligence Cell 7
Heavy_Lift Aviation 7

Similar threads

Top