TA 100 - Get your MP to sign EDM

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by OldSnowy, Jan 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

An EDM - Early Day Motion (stop sniggering at the back!) has been proposed as follows:

Campbell, Gregory
    That this House notes the forthcoming centenary of the Territorial Army; congratulates the many thousands of personnel from across all parts of the United Kingdom who, since its inception in 1908, have volunteered, showing bravery and resolve in supporting the regular British Army across the world; and commends those who have served in a range of more recent operations, including in Iraq, Afghanistan and the Balkans.

Given that it is a) a Good Thing, b) free, and c) uncontroversial) then I cannot see why any MP would not wish to support it.

I suggest that you all ask your local MP to sign up. Best way is via "They Work For You":
  2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

E-mail sent to my MP. However she is a lazy, greedy cow who will probably get binned next election. She will only vote as she is told, so I don't hold out much hope.
  3. msr

msr LE

What does an EDM do for us?

4. OldSnowy

In practical terms - nothing at all, in that it wont get us any more money. In political terms - possibly a lot. If MPs are asked by enough Constituents (e.g. their own, registered voters) to sign an EDM, and they have no party political reasons why not, they will. It all helps get the TA noticed - and, God knows, we need all the political mates we can get.

Do not underestimate the ignorance of the 'chattering classes' as regards the Army, TA, in fact anything military at all. Few MPs either know or care about the TA, and those that do - well, let's just say it's a small group that hasn't really changed membership for some years. Even something as simple as this EDM can help spread the word. Associating as we do with the Army, TA, etc., all the time tends to make us think that far more people are 'on side' than is really the case. Publicity usually = good publicity, and that's certainly the case with this.
  5. msr

msr LE

Message sent.

6. Message sent.

7. Message sent only to get rejected by ? apparently my labour mp wants the army to fight with flowers in our hair and use hivis vests for warfighting

8. this motion is dated 22 01 08 thats yesterday :roll: so does it make a difference that you ve posted it a day late fella or can my lazy sponging liebour MP still sign it :?
  9. msr

msr LE

Write to him/her anyway and ask.

10. Not from South Wales are you?
  11. Done.........
  12. OldSnowy

Just to update, this EDM went on yesterday, has already got 17 signatures, and will be 'valid' until the house rises - so (unless the Government falls) that means for many months yet.

Plenty of time to poke your MP about this!
  13. We must be able to get more signatures than the EDMs on other vital issues of the day such as "HAGGIS INDUSTRY SKILLS SHORTAGE" and "FISH AND CHIP SHOP OF THE YEAR"!
  14. But what if your MP is the odious Joyce? I would actually feel better about TA100 not having him sign the EDM, given his history.