Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

T-Shirt business

rafterman2

Swinger
Hi Guys - anyone here have experience in printing T-shits for a living? Due to leave in a few years and have a few thoughts ans questions...Any help would be appreciated thanks.

rafterman2 said:
Hi Guys - anyone here have experience in printing T-shits for a living? Due to leave in a few years and have a few thoughts ans questions...Any help would be appreciated thanks.

I think the ability to spell might be an advantage ;)

msr

There are a lot of companies doing it, check out Vistaprint for one, they will be a big competitor of yours if you get into it. A lot of them get the printing done in Europe as well, then it's shipped over.

Hope this helps

The best and easiest way to get into the T-Shirt business is simply to start up a very quick and painless CafePress Online Shop, it only costs around $7 a month. The only thing you have to do is upload the High Res designs to the site and place them onto Products like T-shirts, sweat shirts, Beer Steins, Wall Clocks etc. even if only one person orders one t-shirt with one of your designs on, CafePress print the design on the product and send it, giving you a small % commission...

rafterman2 said:
Thanks for the feedback guys - am off to look at these sights just now!

As most of you who follow my work will know, I produce T Shirts already and sell them both on my own site and my EBay shop.
Rafterman mate, having looked carefully at Cafe Press..........make sure you don't disregard going to a print shop and enquire on what kind of deals they can do for your designs. A tip would be not to go to a printer who retails designs themselves. If you want a specific process make sure they do it themselves on site not, through a third party as you're paying 2 markups. There are plenty of cheap retail 'create your own' printers who'll knock up your design quite cheaply but, you might find a few designs getting 'half inched' off you. You will need some sort of written agreement from them that your design copyright will not be breached by them.
I could go on for ages as it's more complicated than you'd think.
My artwork 'business' thus far has been a side hobby but, employment problems are making me think very seriously about how I could potentially turn it into something full time that I can make a living at....the TShirts though would only be a small part of that as it's so competitive.My designs though are unique albeit quite expensive to print currently which means I'm rethinking my strategy/policy which means knew designs. Don't ever forget the golden rule....don't sell anything you're not happy with yourself that means print quality and many test washes and ironings!!!! By all means mate, contact me on my email via my website if you have questions.