T.E. Lawrence Adventurous Training - Advice Please

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by IffleyRoad, Jan 20, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good Afternoon.

I am planning on organising an AT trip to re-create one of Lawrence's camel treks. Probably from Wadi Rum to Aqaba.

I would be greatful for advice people can give on any aspect of planning this.

I'm looking to take around 6-8 soldiers and we'll depart from Cyprus so hopefully this should keep the costs down.

Any points on the following would be very helpful:

- Possible funding streams
    - Necessary clearances
    - Admin tips (other than it's not a place in China)
    - Useful contacts
    - Relevant PXRs

Thanks in advance

2. You may want to re-think that, camels are really poor swimmers.
  3. I'm sure I remember reading a book called something like "In the Footsteps of Lawrence of Arabia" written by Charles Blackmore, an officer who led a group of soldiers on a camel trek, Royal Green Jackets, if I remember correctly. Might be worth searching out?
  4. Thanks for the speedy replies. Will definitely look for the book.

Sandmanfez - I have been reliably told that I can procure swimming camels. A bit more expensive but definitely worth it.
  5. Were it possible to include one, perhaps, more 'gap year' ACF type personalities, I could advise on a funding stream which could accommodate their expenses for such a trip.
  6. Could well be possible to include an 'ACF type'. I will look into it. Thanks.
  7. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Try and contact Michael Asher too (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Asher_(explorer), he has done many desert trips on camel in the footsteps of Lawrence and Thesiger, he also ran Camel tours for a number of years in the Sudan, so what he doesn't know isn't worth knowing, you can reach him through his website: Deep Ecology
  8. More very good advice - I will send him an email this weekend.