T.A UPGRADING TO REGS

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by bullet-magnet, Jan 4, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ive been in the T.A 3 years now and have heard stories that if you upgrade to regs you miss out some training. is this true or do you still go from 0. are there any advantages to joining with T.A Training or not.

2. upgrade?

some would argue that its an upgrade.

3. Upgrade? You are not a car - don't put yourself down!

If you want to join the regs you can go to your local careers office and sign on the dotted line just like the rest of the new recruits, or you can take your training and expertise and join the regs on an S Type engagement (normally for 1 year). You go straight to a Bn/Reg and join a platoon. If you like it and they like you then there is an option to stay on. I don't believe you have anything to gain by doing basic again but if this is what you want to do then use the year to settle in and get some more experience. You might even get a few courses under your belt in that time - instead of learning how to put up a bivvy and all that bull.

4. didnt know about s types how do you get one

5. Go and see your SPSI/PSAO. Your parent unit will always be on the lookout for attachments regardless of impending tours or garrison duties, or you can join a unit getting ready to go on a tour. If you sign up then be sure of the type of engagement - an S Type makes you a reg from day one and it's easier to stay on.

6. what other types are there.

7. Not sure now - check with your SPSI/PSAO. If you have any time during the week pop your head in and have a chat. It helps if they are at a loose end and drill nights they might be too busy. What type of unit are you in?

8. im in a sig unit just had word with spsi and theres telic based oman for early feb start. which is very soon

9. Good luck if you go for it - I worked alongside a RS Ptarmigan Det in Bosnia in '96 - good lads and great bbq's! 8)

10. looks like a tiger team thing if u know what that is

11. what is the upper age limit with s-type engagements?

12. For S Type info may I recommend switching to this thread:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/p=508465.html#508465

The S Type is basically designed for those who are over 29 (too old for regular direct entry) with plenty of mil experience. As for upper age limit they give you a 5 year contract initially so I guess you should be young enough to fit that in.

13. Ah, So it's not just me wanting to go full time then?? Good luck mate ;o)

14. anyone know anyother ways of getting in rather than having to do full basic again

15. Correct me if I’m wrong but STABs don’t do anything like the full reg basic.