Syrian WMD capability

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Astatine, Jul 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Any Syrian aircraft intending to spray aerosolised Anthrax, Sarin or Mustard Gas over Israel would be immediately shot down.

But how effective can a Scud or SS21 with a 500-1000kg payload of these be if hitting a city or exploding 1000 above it?

Would deaths be 1000s or 100s of 1000s?

Have any of these 3 agents ever been used in a real war delivered by katyusha, large rocket or aircraft bomb?

2. Where on earth do you get the idea Syria is going to attack Israel with WMDs?

Are you living on this planet?

Forget the number of deaths from WMDs, there's only one death I want to read about right now.

3. Not terribly likely though, is it? The Israelis would immediately make Damascus glow in the dark.

4. IDF: Syrian chemical threat targets Israel. Obama warns Assad against

Saddam wasn't afraid to "muddy the waters" and try save himself by firing 40 Scuds at Israel in 1991. He hoped that Israeli involvement would force the Arab components of the coalition against him (which included Syria!) to at least withdraw, if not turn on Israel, the US and the UK.

Is it so implausible that in desperation Assad could not do the same? Unlike a Christian and a Jew, a Muslim, whether Shiite, Sunni or Alawite, craves a martyr's death.

[​IMG]

And unlike Saddam's "Gerald Bull Specials", Assad's Scuds & SS21 have almost point accuracy.

5. Everyone here is assuming that the fall of Bashar Al-Assad is imminent; I'm not so sure...

6. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

I don't know enough about air defence to comment on the question, but the fear (mine and military commentators I have read) is not chemicals / nerve agents on the end of a rocket, but in an extremists rucksack. Four kilograms of Botulinum if made airborne could wipe out all life on the planet. Possibly with the exception of cockroaches and Keith Richards. Four kg will fit into a suitcase.

7. Which is why a Sunni-inspired insurgency becoming successful in Syria is not what we want - AQ is Sunni, not Shi'ite or Alawite, both of whom they regard as heretics.

8. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

And Hezbollah is Sh'ite and an Iranian proxy with a big presence in Syria, aligned to the current administration / army. This means Al Q or Hezbollah may be poised to get their hands on WMD, depending who is where when proper anarchy breaks loose. This for me is of far greater concern than some Syrian squaddie pushing the big red button, besides which it seems their high tech is controlled / serviced by Russians? Who have no desire to trigger Israel to go nuclear.

9. After school has finished, but before daddy molests you again, ask one of your neighbours who has actually served in the IDF

10. The Russians have no interest in the conflist escalting to that level - it would be interesting if the Russians are assisting in the evacuation of the chem/bio stockpile to Tartus, for example.

11. Despite absorbing 40 Scuds on its cities, Israel did not respond to Saddam in 1991 at all. They heeded John Major's Common's plea not to fight back because it would break up the Coalition.

As a reward for Israel's masterly inactivity, Major ordered in Andy McNab's Bravo 2 Zero team in to Iraq to take out the Scuds being fire on Israel.

I can yet see Cameron sending in short order the latest British team, Bravo 3 Zero, in to Syria to take out their WMDs.

[​IMG]

12. Of course, Israel paid particular attention to Major, he was such an international statesman, Israel holds the UK in such high regard and the UK was/is such a massive world power that his word was taken as gospel.

Now i really know you're from another planet.

You're just reinforcing my opinion of you now. :rolleyes:

13. I don't think the genie is going back in the bottle now. It could rumble on for years, but things won't go back to the way they were.

14. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

I love the Keith Richards bit, but don't forget Motorhead's Lemmy!