Syrian Tank Clip

Discussion in 'RAC' started by CH512O, Aug 30, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 2
  1. I like the improvised Bar Armour. I'm assuming that's what it is meant to be? Decent video.
  2. There are a few photos of T72's with all that reactive armour stuff on (small box) but i suspect its just empty boxes as there a lot that have been taken out. I suppose its there to initiate the warhead pior to hitting the tank itself?
  3. AT-13 and AT-14 are tandem warhead missiles, designed to take out vehicles with reactive armour...

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  4. Interesting video CH5120, cheers.
  5. Cracking video, now confirmed as to why I became a medic rather than tanks!

6. Syrian tanks have Kontakt-1 ERA;
    Yeah it's there to initiate HEAT rounds and degrade EFP ; no use against tandem rounds such as RPG-29.

Wiki; Reactive armour - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

7. The thing i took away from the clip was DUST, DUST and a bit more DUST.
    Im assuming the need to wait for it to clear or do us foreign types just work through it with Gucci sights?
  8. Funnily enough they do have some tanks with thermal; however they have no ERA; go figure?
  9. Im aware of the reactive type armour, I was referring to the improvised looking stuff you can see on the sides of one of the tanks and on the front of the turrets.

Looks like bits of re-bar welded on. Just wondered if it was inspired by the Bar armour we have on our Mastiffs etc to combat the RPG threat?
  10. Bar armour is exactly what it is and yes it's rebar. Someone over at tanknet actually worked out the protection level of the bricks etc, presumably the rubble was actually put there on purpose.
  11. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Well impressed with the camera.

Excellent definition and seems to be able to put up with some serious abuse.

If I had anything interesting to film, I'd get one.
  12. Some fine examples of obscuration!