Syrian SCUDs supplied to Hezbollah-or not?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by HectortheInspector, Apr 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'd be making a fuss. SCUD holds more of Israel at risk than the other rockets Hezbollah have had access to. If Hezbollah do have them, then it indicates a willingness (if not a desire) to increase the threat to Israel, presumably in the hope of igniting another ground skirmish or something- they can't be stupid enough to expect Israel to sit back and let them fling SCUDs.

2. True, but they are obsolete, Israel has quite a good network of ABM systems, and the Israelis are more than capable of detecting the launch in good time. They are so big that they can't really sneak close to the border.
    It would be a worrying bit of proliferation, but my personal guess would be that this is a Syrian wind-up in revenge for the Israelis flattening that mysterious building full of North Koreans that looked amazingly like a nuclear reactor a year or so back.

It costs them nothing to leak that they are shipping some old junk across the border. Then all they have to do is sit back and listen to the Israelis squawk.

I doubt very much if Hezbollah has a secret garage big enough to park these things. They might very well want to escalate things, but I do doubt their capacity and capability to do it.

3. While I don't disagree with most of what you said, I think the bit about them being inaccurate is irrelevant considering all they would really do anyway is point and shoot at the population center du jour.

It does beg the question however as you touched upon that if Hizbolleh has something so large and so unavoidable to find, could a launch then be conceived as an act of war by Syria or Lebanon?

4. I know hezbollah are pretty keen on heading for paradise but trying to set one of those beasts up the Israelis not spotting it and then not completely bat shit.

5. Iran support Hezbollah too, not sure if Syria would be involved due to the Golan heights / Sea of Galillee issues they are discussing with Israel. I really wouldn't put it past Iran to stir the sh*t in this way. Last thing it wants is a deal between damascus and Tel Aviv.

6. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

They were obsolete in 1991 but look at the problem they caused then too.

If true, bare in mind this is in the press, Syria are being monumentally stupid in supplying these to Hezbollah.

As an aside, the current noise from Iran, Syria, Hezbollah and the Gaza Strip, are we looking at another offensive against Israel, it's been a while after all....

7. Did Tubbs 1970 write the article? :policeflat:

8. Probably. The Iranians and Syrians would love to sucker the IDF into charging towards the Litani again and this is just the way to do it. That's what the HA missiles always were: bait in a bear trap.

No Israeli government is going to hit Iran's nuke program without slapping down HA first, the SCUDs make that even more likely. After the poor job the IAF did last time the IDF will go in heavier on the ground creating a target rich environment. HA's seasoned light infantry will be waiting, well dug in.

9. Given that Syria and Iran are officially BFFs, I'd be very surprised if they weren't facilitating weapons shipments between Iran and it's key state proxy.

10. A deal is more or less out of the question, until Israel and Syria can reach some kind of deal over the Golan.
    (Syria,Hezbollah and Iran)
    (Resistance display)

The maintenance of the 'resistance credentials' of Syria seems to be key to their position within the Middle East. With a state of war still officially existing between Syria and Israel, Syria needs a friend in the region. Despite their recent efforts to make bigger friends (Syria/Saudi), Iran is the biggest credible ally they have at this moment in time.

11. the soviet 8k14 ,r-17, r-3oo type {scud} maybe an old missle system and with older models having a range of approx 43 miles{70km} may not seem cutting edge to us in the west, but to the hezbollah, this would top notch. the mere thought of one of these systems poiniting at isreal would make iran happy. old weapon systems are better than no weapon system!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    do you realy think isreal would retaliate with nukes if a chemical warhead was to land on them ?????????????????

=| =| =| =| =| =| =| =| =| =|

12. I would not be so sure about that. Didn't they silkworm an Israeli patrol ship. They are not small.

13. Yup. Israel are likely champing at the bit to give Iran a bit of 'instant sunshine'. A weapon of mass destruction detonating on Israeli soil would give the slightly belligerent Israelis an excuse.