Syrian Home Made Tank

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Wordsmith, Dec 10, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

This will not end well - Syrian rebels have constructed a home made tank.

Syrian rebels battle Assad using home-made tank equipped with PS3 controller | The Sun |News

Syrian Tank.png

I'm not sure this will qualify for a Darwin Award - maybe we should instigate the Charge of the Light Brigade award for the most militarily suicidal idea.

2. Assad must have locked the rebels up in a barn filled with steel plate, welding gear and an easily-repaired pickup. It only remains to be seen whether they've fashioned a gas nailer into a GPMG.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  3. I smell a TV series there, I wonder if it would ever take off.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Anybody catch the RT report this morning from a journo with Gvt forces in Homs? Showing off a small trebuchet for lobbing nail bombs? Big long spring with what looked like the scoop from some potato scales bolted on the end. Cant find a link or pic but I did find this gem...

gun thing.jpg
  5. Reminiscent of some of the ad hoc armoured cars put together by the Home Guard, circa 1940; it does look slightly more warry than the HiLux technicals seen in other sunny climes.
  6. Crazy fools!

Don't they know the best way to procure an AFV is to spend 4 years on OA, requirements definition, and total fleet systems trades, before issuing an Expression of Interest in the European Journal allowing vendors the opportunity to bid for a 2-years technology demonstration phase?
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Not convinced that its really 1" armour, looks more like 1/4", might stop the odd 9mm, but suspect it might have a bit of an issue when someone actually fires a 23mm cannon at it!!
  8. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Latest anti tank weapon...

• Like Like x 2
  9. Don't show Cameron for fecks sake!
    • Like Like x 6
  10. Laugh all you want, it's a newer piece of kit than we have (or will have) for a while.
  11. Can't we just flog them some of the umpteen hundred CR2's we no longer can afford to own?
  12. Even if it is proof against 23mm (which seems doubtful at best) it's going to struggle against 100mm or 125mm, which the Syrians aren't exactly short of!
  13. No we'll need them (at massive expense to get them in working order) for shennanigans in Africa soon.
  14. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Depends how smart they were. If they took the time to case harden the steel in a primitive furnace it might have better anti-penetration capabilities. And I don't know if it was intentional but they've got sloping armour front and rear which will help as well.

If they were even smarter, they would have operated it from a 20 foot long lead using cameras from behind a corner. Then the Syrian army could shoot it to shit without killing the occupants.

• Like Like x 1