Syrian Government In Exile Organizing

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Not_Whistlin_Dixie, Jan 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "BERLIN (Reuters) - Former Syrian vice president Abdel-Halim Khaddam, a fierce critic of President Bashar al-Assad, told a German magazine he was forming a government in exile and believed Assad would be forced from power this year.

"Khaddam, who now lives in Paris, told the weekly Der Spiegel on Saturday that Assad was facing growing pressure from economic problems at home and the international investigation into the killing of former Lebanese prime minister Rafik al-Hariri.

[Mr. Khaddam stated that ] 'I'm convinced: the order [to assassinate former Lebanese PM Rafiq Hariri] came from Assad. He is an extremely impulsive man, he is always losing his cool.'"

"Syria's Khaddam forming exile government - press"
    Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:37 AM GMT
  2. Would you happen to have a link for that, NWD? Preferrably the original German, if you don't mind.

3. Bugsy7:

Spiegel story in English:,1518,393129,00.html

The page links to Spiegel's German language website. I didn't see it there.

EDITED: Linked article only discusses UN investigatory commission's desire to question current Syrian president regarding circumstances of Mr. Hariri's death.

I can't seem to get the search function on the Spiegel website to function; it just brings up the home page.
  4. msr

msr LE

One hopes that they are better organised than the Iraqi government in exile.

5. Thanks for that, NWD! I had a very careful butcher's on the (German) Spiegel site, but I couldn't find the story.
    Mind you, I couldn't find the English version either!