Syrian Cluster Bomb - a turning point?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Herrumph, Nov 26, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC World News is reporting that the Syrian Government have used cluster bombs against a school killing at least 10 kids.

Is this likely to be the turning point which loses Assad any remaining support amongst his people or worse, the emotive sort of trigger for western intervention?

edited to make plural before the pedants start

2. I would imagine that the Syrians are buying CBUs or are being supplied with them by some-one. The question is who?

3. There was me thinking its a misprint, he meant cluster ****.

4. A cluster bomb against a school....damn those pesky schools, always starting shit.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

They've been using CBs for some time. First irrefutable reports of their use came out some months ago. That didn't affect anything, and neither will this - unless of course the cease-fire in Gaza moves attention back to Syria (and if Egypt doesn't explode).

• Like Like x 1
  6. The ever so happy "free Syrian Army" officer who was on Hermannic Reichstelly yesterday waving a bomblet tail-section in his hand, was saying Russia and China!

7. The turning point you are seeking in this Syrian civil set too would have to look like this:

"Damascus, massive **** off oil reserves discovered under the Syrian capital!"

Otherwise they'll be left to rot and must learn to like it............!

8. Russia,who else?.

9. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

"Support of his people"? ??? As I understand it the assad family are part of an Alawi minority who will get theirn throats cut if the majority eventually take over. Which is powerfully motivating, and the Assads & supporters will bash on regardless.

10. Seeing as they're not signatories to the cluster bombs convention and they've been happily slotting women and children for over a year I don't think it'll change much.

11. Don't forget the PR war being waged by all sides.

I'll accept a cluster bomb exploded near a school, and I'll accept 10 children therein were killed.

But to extend that to say the school was deliberately targeted is just spin, and given only 10 victims I'd say it was by accident rather then design.

All absolutely outrageous, but to say that someone deliberately lobbed a CBU into a school full of children is pushing things.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Nail-head.

What else is he supposed to do? Give up and get himself killed by the mob or strung up by the newly elected courts?

**** it might as well go out fighting and looking at the growing influence the Muslim Brotherhood has in the rest of the "liberated" parts I would say we (as in the west) should be ****ing cheering him on.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Saint Diana of Harrods will not be happy!

Now let's all let the Syrians have their own wee war in their own wee country. When it's done we can be friendly with whoever's left to run the place. Whether they choose to kill them old, young or pre-nataly or what they want to do it with is really none of our business.

14. On the upside, at least it wasn't napalm, apparently that sticks to kids.

15. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

And to be honest, the Syrians themselves aren't being helped by those nice International Lawyers and Judges in the Hague. Once upon a time, a despot who was likely to be overthrown by his own people (Idi Amin, for example) could flee to somewhere vaguely sympathetic and be left to spend his few million on extra supplies of hookers and blow until he popped his clogs. This has changed, and now, should Assad surrender or flee, he knows he will be hounded by the "International Community" and brought to justice.

This gives him zero options. It's fight or die, rather than fight or flight.

So, nice idea in theory, but quite probably an indirect cause of many deaths, in Syria now, and Libya last year.

• Like Like x 3