Syria

@loofkar - So do you reckon that's their best effort against targeted airstrikes or something?
I would have thought everyone in that region would know modern weaponry isn't fooled* by even effective screening let alone that effort.
*or are the aggressors using relative low tech visual targeting and not really giving a damn about collateral damage?

I've no idea. Looks a bit rum though.

@loofkar - So do you reckon that's their best effort against targeted airstrikes or something?
I would have thought everyone in that region would know modern weaponry isn't fooled* by even effective screening let alone that effort.
*or are the aggressors using relative low tech visual targeting and not really giving a damn about collateral damage?
As paddyplanty implied the smoke screen is not overly convincing. I've seen aerial shots of German smoke screens from WWII, they were massive and effective. Modern guided weapons have a variety of means of getting round smoke screens. A GPS guided system finds its target day or night, with or without smoke, radar guided sees straight through smoke but can be jammed. Infra red depending on the exact wave length and nature of the smoke can see straight through it. So what was that tiny smoke screen supposed to achieve?

It’s striking in its complete ineffectiveness. I note one of the Twitter comments spotted a Russian sub at the end of the bottom pier but that’s not going to be THAT unusual is it? It’s unlikely to have got in unspotted by US intelligence.

It’s striking in its complete ineffectiveness. I note one of the Twitter comments spotted a Russian sub at the end of the bottom pier but that’s not going to be THAT unusual is it? It’s unlikely to have got in unspotted by US intelligence.
Indeed: and here it is:

FDyy2v_X0AELHBg

a) Possibly it's not a smokescreen but something else we haven't thought of.

b) Perhaps it is a smokescreen, but the photo was taken when the smokescreen was either starting up or finishing, and not when it was at its height.

If they were hiding anything, it was possibly the offloading of large kit they didn't want other people to see them getting.

I see the port of Latakia in Syria got the good news from the IAF. As there's a large Russian presence there, Must have been a valuable target they were after. Well done Israel. :salut:;-P

Maalox

On ROPS
On ROPs
" In addition, Russian fighter jets armed with a new hypersonic “aircraft carrier killer missile” have been sent to a base in Syria to monitor the Royal Navy's HMS Queen Elizabeth strike force which is sailing in the eastern Mediterranean. It is the first time Russia has deployed its Kinzhal hypersonic missile overseas ."

See original image

Attachments

• 1642172401207.png
    1642172401207.png
    691 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Yokel

LE
Cudos to the Master for navigating that narrow and shallow waterway before mooring atop Bath Road. That must be the first demonstration of a ship borne anti-gravity field enabling transition from sea to land. 2m draught indeed. lol. December as well.

I thought our Honourable Banzai friends had got there first with the Yamato? :scratch:

Can't wait to see QE Class Batch 2 as the flagship of the new Royal Naval Space Service.