Syria

Just as in the death of Tito resulted in the fragmentation of the former Yugoslavia, Qadhafi’s demise removed the strongman/chief sh*t that held everything together...until his intentions to depopulate Benghazi led to his downfall.

In the 4 years I flew in Libya I was amazed at the rabid hostility shown between the Triplotanians and the Ceryniacans. They were probably the most xenophobic people I have ever met in my travels round the globe.

Thanks - very interesting. Any suggestions for a (short) reading list?
If your request is still live, I'd recommend two books by Tom Cooper: Syrian Conflagration, The Civil War 2011-13; and Moscow's Game of Poker. Russian Military Intervention in Syria, 2015-2017. Both books mainly cover military aspects but there is sufficient info also on causes of the War, of Russian intervention, etc.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
If your request is still live, I'd recommend two books by Tom Cooper: Syrian Conflagration, The Civil War 2011-13; and Moscow's Game of Poker. Russian Military Intervention in Syria, 2015-2017. Both books mainly cover military aspects but there is sufficient info also on causes of the War, of Russian intervention, etc.
Yes thanks.

Israel continues its policy of surgical strikes in Syria under the new PM Bennett, while it doesn't confirm any information about them.
The Syrian government has never acknowledged the strikes are aimed at Iranian assets, which it has said are limited to some advisors.
Apparently the Iranians have more than 'some advisors' in Syria. As ever
An Israeli army spokesperson said the Israeli military does not comment on foreign reports. Israeli officials have said earlier missile strikes slowed Iran’s entrenchment in Syria.
It's important to note that
The airstrikes are the first since a new Israeli government led by Naftali Bennett came to power last month.
Just now Syria is unable to retaliate but it can not last forever.
Bennett has vowed to maintain his predecessor's policy of containment of Iran's military expansion in Syria, a development Israel's defence establishment says has upset the region's strategic balance.
From strategical point of view Iran has very good prospects in Syria and later or sooner retaliatory strikes aimed at Golan Heights or even Israeli territory will happen. I suppose that the Iranians wait for proper geopolitical context to act. Political changes in Russia and replacement of pro-Israeli Russian president Putin could trigger a major conflict with unpredictable outcome.
Western intelligence sources say Israeli strikes on Syria are part of a shadow war approved by the United States and part of a policy to undermine Iran's military power without triggering a major increase in hostilities.
Washington is losing ground in Syria and it is a part of global geopolitical retreat. Now we see withdrawal from Afghanistan and US presence in Iraq is under question.
Washington recently carried out strikes against facilities belonging to Iranian-backed militias in eastern Syria in response to rocket attacks against U.S. targets in Iraq.
Probably such attacks will continue.
The Pentagon earlier this month said it was deeply concerned about a series of retaliatory attacks on U.S. personnel based in the northeast of the country who came under fire from Iranian backed militias operating in the area that borders Iraq.
At this stage Iran likely will not hit Israel. It is too early for such a move. But retaliatory strikes in Iraq are possible.

Only marked funny, as I assumed the Captagon is like those halal steriods I used to see all the time in the middle east.

Perhaps DaManBugs would know, they claim to be the resident expert in pharmaceuticals

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Perhaps DaManBugs would know, they claim to be the resident expert in pharmaceuticals
I'm no expert in farmer-cuticles and I've never claimed that. However, Captagon was the go-to "upper" for students, those in very high-stress jobs and especially "Drücker"* in the 1970s in West Germany. While the pills do a fine job of "switching you on" they do tend to have a few unpleasant side-effects on a long-term basis. For instance: restlessness, mild paranoia, depression on coming down etc.

* "Drücker" (literally "doorbell pressers"). Organised teams of young folks going from door to door flogging magazine subscriptions. They were treated rather badly on the whole; which explains the very high turnover rate. Many of them took Captagon to stave off the inevitable demoralisation they felt after a short time in the "job". I only have experience of "Drückerkolonnen" (subscription-selling teams) in Hamburg organised by the very unsavoury Bauer Verlag, so I can't really offer any opinion about other West German cities.

MsG

In the strength sports world there's definitely a belief that you can get any kind of weird steroid you like in the Middle East.

Oh it would be very well founded on what I saw.

Many of the people at one BJJ club I was a member of would chuckle at one Arab member, and would smile at the rapid gains and the effort he was putting in - and the "Halal help", because you don't get like that بإذن الله

Latest Threads