Syria

I meant would they would be defending Cyprus or the SBAs

We didn't get involved when Turkey Invaded the North. We would almost certainly defend the Sovereign Base Areas. I don't believe that the UN troops took any action either. That is not what they were there , or equipped to do.

I meant would they would be defending Cyprus or the SBAs

You don't need to be threatened by Russian LRA that is quite capable of flying across the Atlantic to need to worry about defending your own bases.

philc

LE
Found this an interesting read, one of the Professors in the UK that defends the regime and the gassings etc are the work of the CIA/MI6 caught right out, he does sound a loony tune at best, how he has a job in Academia is baffling.

A British professor corresponded for months with a man called only "Ivan", seeking assistance to discredit an organisation that helps bring Syrian war criminals to justice. He also asked "Ivan" to investigate other British academics and journalists. The email exchange, seen by the BBC, reveals how, a decade on from the start of the Syrian conflict, a battle is still being waged in the field of information and misinformation.

Found this an interesting read, one of the Professors in the UK that defends the regime and the gassings etc are the work of the CIA/MI6 caught right out, he does sound a loony tune at best, how he has a job in Academia is baffling.

A British professor corresponded for months with a man called only "Ivan", seeking assistance to discredit an organisation that helps bring Syrian war criminals to justice. He also asked "Ivan" to investigate other British academics and journalists. The email exchange, seen by the BBC, reveals how, a decade on from the start of the Syrian conflict, a battle is still being waged in the field of information and misinformation.
Agreed. A somewhat transparent fellow traveller of Muscovy.

That's a link to a photo. Is there a link to the article?
ETA found it. Linked two posts down.

Last edited:

At about 2:38:00
Thanks, I already found and posted the link above your posts.
Post asking about link now updated.

And that c**t of a so called "professor" is working for a British University ?
Excellent article. Sometimes the BBC almost redeem themselves, though they may have some issues of their own. Interesting that the university was keen to defend his freedom of speech. There is a Russian Embassy in Edinburgh as well as Sputnik, a state sponsored propaganda outlet, similar to RT.

Interesting that as with UK SAGE (Official) and SAGE (Unofficial) which have a communist in them and lean to the left, ScotGov use or have used this pro-Russian conspiracy theorist.

philc

LE
Excellent article. Sometimes the BBC almost redeem themselves, though they may have some issues of their own. Interesting that the university was keen to defend his freedom of speech. There is a Russian Embassy in Edinburgh as well as Sputnik, a state sponsored propaganda outlet, similar to RT.

Interesting that as with UK SAGE (Official) and SAGE (Unofficial) which have a communist in them and lean to the left, ScotGov use or have used this pro-Russian conspiracy theorist.

Follow the money.

SENIOR politicians yesterday questioned Edinburgh University’s acceptance of a £240,000 donation from a Russian foundation linked to the Kremlin.

Follow the money.

SENIOR politicians yesterday questioned Edinburgh University’s acceptance of a £240,000 donation from a Russian foundation linked to the Kremlin.
A long time ago I mooted the idea that Russia would be interested in gaining influence is Scotland to push for the break up of the UK, to weaken an adversary, just as they promoted Brexit to weaken the EU as an economic rival.

philc

LE
A long time ago I mooted the idea that Russia would be interested in gaining influence is Scotland to push for the break up of the UK, to weaken an adversary, just as they promoted Brexit to weaken the EU as an economic rival.

Alec Salmon on Russian TV springs to mind. I am sure RT is interested in the musings of a chippy jock with a fondness for Whisky and women's arses.

Maybe I am just too far gone, but I am not at all surprised at the willingness of an academic to be willingly blind to who they are talking to.

A few of the people I like reading on niche subjects sail close to the wind in their scepticism of "The West", but they are very good on their area.

What I did chuckle about is this chap has a very good understanding of the Official Secrets Act and the lack of a generic "Agent of a Foreign Power" law in the UK. I mean, almost as if he was calculated to remain within what was legal, whilst being "incurious" as to what we was helping?

TL;DR?

Farking Guilty.

A fair point.

All this

Was of course written before the Int and Sy Committee's Russia report came out. Which pretty much made it clear we'll have to wait for at least a new PM before we have any of these ideas come into law.

We anticipate, too, that forcing lobbyists who work for foreign governments to register; toughening up rules on registering interests in the Lords or work undertaken by former Ministers, and slowing, say, the flow of Chinese money into our universities and civil society will also be resisted.

Slowing Chinese money cannot be separated from staunching Russian money either. The Int and Sy Cttee farted in church by talking about that too.

People may enjoy this

TMS (not Test Match Special) is a good read in general, and writes with genuine affection on Yemen.

In the spirit of the above debate, I'm not blind to some of the comments about his writings alleged shortcomings towards Judaism and Israel; but his work is still very readable.

Travels in Dictionary Land is a favourite book of mine.

And that c**t of a so called "professor" is working for a British University ?

No surprise really. Universities are rife breeding ground for far left idealism. Have been for a very long time. And some of these young ideologists are easily impressed by the speakings of those professors who maybe under the influence of the ‘other nation services”.
If other nations security services can coerce both students and professors then it’s a win for them in spreading their thoughts and ideology.
It’s been happening for a long time.
Unfortunately some students have no mind of their own and are easily led (either by right wing or left wing influence). They want to be a ‘part’ of something. To change the world etc. Poor naive little lambs..

*Michael Foot was a known informant (loose term maybe?) for the KGB. He never knew state secrets but would have lunch with KGB agents and tell them the inner workings of what he knew in Parliament. And got paid for it.
Foot would never have really become PM. He would have been asked politely to stand down...
Jeremy Corbyn I believe was suspected just the same as Foot. He would never have made PM either...

*From a book I read about a KGB officer who was MI6 informant. Smuggled via Finland/ Sweden to get to U.K. Can’t remember name of book though!

No surprise really. Universities are rife breeding ground for far left idealism. Have been for a very long time. And some of these young ideologists are easily impressed by the speakings of those professors who maybe under the influence of the ‘other nation services”.
If other nations security services can coerce both students and professors then it’s a win for them in spreading their thoughts and ideology.
It’s been happening for a long time.
Unfortunately some students have no mind of their own and are easily led (either by right wing or left wing influence). They want to be a ‘part’ of something. To change the world etc. Poor naive little lambs..

*Michael Foot was a known informant (loose term maybe?) for the KGB. He never knew state secrets but would have lunch with KGB agents and tell them the inner workings of what he knew in Parliament. And got paid for it.
Foot would never have really become PM. He would have been asked politely to stand down...
Jeremy Corbyn I believe was suspected just the same as Foot. He would never have made PM either...

*From a book I read about a KGB officer who was MI6 informant. Smuggled via Finland/ Sweden to get to U.K. Can’t remember name of book though!

Possibly his memoir -
Next Stop Execution, by Oleg Gordievsky.

The book by Ben MacIntyre is excellent.