Syria

At 6.20 in this clip, the Russian Su25 pilot shows his NAZ survival kit, including a Stechkin pistol with 200 rounds, a rifle with 4 magazines and 2 grenades!

Equivalent RAF ground-attack crews are today not even issued an FN with 8 rounds.

Soviet Russian Air Force Fighter Pilot Su MiG Survival Kit NAZ-7 Ejection Seat

Soviet Russian Air Force Pilot Survival Kit Naz-7m For Ejection Seat K-36

Last edited:
Given that RAF FJ crew have never been issued with ' . . . an FN with 8 rounds . . . ' (whatever an FN is), I'm curious as to why you wrote that.
I'm not entirely sure what Boollox is talking about, but I think he might be referring to an ancient model of Browning pistol made at the FN factory in Belgium.
Since the last Browning in British service was the 13 round pistol, and that was phased out a few years ago, I don't know why he thinks the Crabs would take off with a half loaded obsolete weapon.

I'm not entirely sure what Boollox is talking about, but I think he might be referring to an ancient model of Browning pistol made at the FN factory in Belgium.
Since the last Browning in British service was the 13 round pistol, and that was phased out a few years ago, I don't know why he thinks the Crabs would take off with a half loaded obsolete weapon.

Given that, before Sh1t Got Real at the turn of the century and FJ crews were armed with Walther's finest PP which first saw the light of day in the 1920s, things were worse than you thought . . .

Coldhands

Clanker
Sorry Terminal been off for a few days. Was expecting to be jumping into secure our vaccine supplies!

Follow Lister on Twitter.

He's reporting on rebel assaults on Daraa and Quneitra.

NATO Air Policing over the Med may be about to get a lot more interesting. Anyone up for a Typhoon QRA det to Akrotiri?

'Russia has been developing the Hmeimim Air Base in Latakia in western Syria in preparation for it to receive strategic nuclear bombers as part of plans to strengthen the Russian presence in the country, Russian Nezavisimaya Gazeta reported.

'The paper said Russia is modernising the Hmeimim Air Base by rebuilding the runway to receive long-range strategic aircrafts capable of carrying nuclear weapons, adding that the strategic bombers would be able, if necessary, to strike "Syrian terrorists" and support the Russian-Mediterranean squadron.

'The paper quoted American analyst Joseph Trevithick as saying that Russia is making the runway longer which will allow it to swing the geopolitical balance in the Middle East in its favour.

"The Hmeimim base is an important tool for the Russian presence in Syria, and it is more correct to say here that Russia is trying to expand its geopolitical and military influence to include the entire Mediterranean," Trevithick said, pointing out that, "Russian bombers equipped with winged missiles, launched from the Hmeimim air base, would be able to endanger targets in Europe and strike at the enemy's navy in the event of a conflict."

'According to the American analyst, these aircrafts will also be able to respond more effectively to crises and unexpected situations in the Middle East and North Africa.'

that would be an interesting one

who’s airspace would they be defending?

Cyprus is only EU member not in PfP or NATO

Well, let's see: there's Turkey, Greece, Albania, Montenegro, Croatia, Slovenia, Italy, France, Spain and the UK (courtesy of Gibraltar) which all have littoral sovereign airspace before you even exit the Med.

Without mentioning the Two Sovereign base areas in Cyprus itself.

Never having been based in Cyprus, I'm uncertain as to the status of ownership of the airspace over the SBAs.

'The United Kingdom authorities shall have the right for United Kingdom military aircraft to fly in the airspace over the territory of the Republic of Cyprus without restriction other than to have due regard for the safety of other aircraft and the safety of life and property in the Republic of Cyprus.'

Last edited:

Latest Threads