Syria

One piece of “Good News” to come from the present debacle, has just been mentioned on Ch4 NEWS, is that Turkey is/has bombed (some) prisons containing captured ISIS fighters.

Do we/rest of “the West”, have any munitions/UAV in the area, that we could now deploy/use, under the present confusion - specifically for JUST that limited objective?!
I saw a news report of this earlier today. It sounded like good news at first until the story mentioned that the concern was that this would allow the prisoners to escape rather than killing them all.

The prisoner problem by the way is another likely reason why the Americans want out ASAP. The Kurds don't want them, the Americans don't want them, and the Americans haven't been able to get anyone else to take them off their hands.

The Americans had collected a certain amount of intelligence from questioning the prisoners, but little or no evidence that could be used in court. Canada looked into the issue not too long ago and came to the conclusion that the chances of prosecuting any of them according to Western standards of justice was pretty much nil which is why Canada has avoided getting involved. If the prisoners were to be brought to the west, most of them would have to be allowed to walk free.

The obvious solution would be to hand them over to the local legal authority, the government of Syria, for prosecution in Syrian courts under Syrian law. However, there isn't an obvious way of achieving this without the Americans losing face after having burnt their bridges with Damascus pretty thoroughly years ago.

So now the Americans will leave the problem behind them in a cloud of dust before they get saddled with thousands of prisoners they don't want.

Big mistake by Trump, both domestically and internationally.
I agree - biggest mistake of his Presidency in my opinion. But why isn't the U.K putting troops there instead? Or the U.N? Or N.A.T.O ( obviously not Turkish.. :crazy:). I think it stinks and feel for the Kurds, but Trumps under constant attack and has this plan to stop being the World policeman, as the cost is only to the U.S.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I agree - biggest mistake of his Presidency in my opinion. But why isn't the U.K putting troops there instead? Or the U.N? Or N.A.T.O ( obviously not Turkish.. :crazy:). I think it stinks and feel for the Kurds, but Trumps under constant attack and has this plan to stop being the World policeman, as the cost is only to the U.S.
There are SF troops there from the UK, but they can't stay without US support. It's the Kurds who have done much of the fighting there and Trump has dumped them.

There are SF troops there from the UK, but they can't stay without US support. It's the Kurds who have done much of the fighting there and Trump has dumped them.
Depending on reports its 25-50 to 1000 troops. If the U.K cant scrape that together, that proves Trumps point.

Its a very poor showing and I feel bad for the Kurds... But the West has let them down, just as much as Trump.

Because nobody else wants to be the "World Police" either.

I'm not a fan of Trump with respect to many of his policies (trade in particular), but I can't really find fault in his decision to pull out of Syria. IS no longer present a major threat to Mid-East oil production, so job done in that respect. Anything beyond that and you are into "World Police" job descriptions again.

Trump said right from the beginning that he was not going to get sucked into another Iraq or Afghanistan in Syria, and that's what this would turn into if the US decided to carve out a protectorate in northeastern Syria.

There have been a number of pundits saying that the US should stay in Syria, but I haven't seen a single one come up with any sort of viable plan for what that would mean over the long term. Where's their plan for where the US will be one year from now, five years from now, ten years from now? They seem to either be silent on that one or else it's just another way for them to call for "onwards to Damascus!" again.

If you go back through this thread you should be able to find posts where a number of site members were favourable to the idea of the US making an alliance of convenience with the Kurds, and this was while the US were still trying (and failing) with their "train and equip" plan to come up with a viable Arab rebel army instead of working with the Kurds. Evan at that time however, those here advocating that idea were saying that at some point the Kurds would need to plan for the time when the US pulled out after the short term objective was achieved.

Unless we are going to do another Sykes-Picot and draw a new map of the Middle East, then at some point the Kurds will need to reconcile with Damascus. If the Americans really want to do something for the Kurds, then they should be focusing on how they can help bring that about.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
So you want to champion the cause of a new state who will be surrounded by enemies, with no access to the sea, with no real economic base, and ruled by militant Marxists with strong links to a group you acknowledge as being terrorists. In doing so you will permanently alienate all of the regional powers, including a NATO member. I can see that going well.
Sounds like Israel in the 1940s:wink:

Depending on reports its 25-50 to 1000 troops. If the U.K cant scrape that together, that proves Trumps point.

Its a very poor showing and I feel bad for the Kurds... But the West has let them down, just as much as Trump.
A bad show all round but sooner we are out the better. Another reason we should not have had a military footprint in any ME or SWA country and certainly should never do so again.

Agreed, although perhaps not his biggest mistake but I won't quibble since your point is sound, especially your last bit.

I wonder what the international response will be if the Syrian Kurds have to exit Rojava and their ISIS prisoners suddenly " all commit suicide" .? Will there be a massive UN investigation ?

A bad show all round but sooner we are out the better. Another reason we should not have had a military footprint in any ME or SWA country and certainly should never do so again.
Leaving a nothing but space?

I've read a lot on here and on other sites on this issue. I understand the US were going to pull their support for the Kurds at some point, but their (US) timing is shocking.

The US or some coalition force should of stayed where they were, preventing Turkey from invading Syria. Innocent civilians are now dying as a result of the Turkish invasion. Whether Turkey are using proxies or their own troops, a NATO partner has gone on the offensive.

Was the bombing of the prison holding ISIS fighters a mistake or was it a modern day OP Jericho. Trying to release the prisoners. Apparently according to another report I read those incarcerated prisoners did attempt a breakout after the bombing.

Trump threatening Turkey with sanctions won't do a damn thing. Sanctions never effect those at the top, but do effect those at the bottom. If it happens it will be the innocent Turks that will suffer, not Erdogan or his elk. The Kurds are suffering now though.

Will Erdogan stop when he gets to the 20 mile demarcation line in the sand, I have my doubts. If the western powers i.e. NATO the UN do nothing to prevent the continuation of this invasion, then what's to stop Erdogan riding roughshod over the lightly armed Kurds, and the whole of Kurdistan.

The Kurds probably only have a limited supply of ATWs to take on the Turkish M1 Abrahams, once they run out, the Kurds are pretty much fooked. They have no air support, no heavy artillery, and no NATO country can supply them now as the aggressor is a NATO country.

And breath. No drugs of any sort were used in this uneducated rant. It's just my thoughts.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
This is not good

For JJH, who can't access twitter

In a closed door session of the UNSC the UK, France, Germany, Belgium, Poland & Estonia tabled a statement condemning Turkey's incursion into Northern Syria and calling upon Turkey to cease hostilities.

The US & Russia just vetoed it.

If this is gen then the US really are stabbing the Kurds in the back, twisting the knife, and rubbing salt in the wound all at the same time.

So has Trump done a u turn on destroying Turkey's economy, as he publicly stated. Or has Trump sanctioned the invasion with the caveat that it only goes so far!

It appears to me that because the different factions could not come to an agreement over the buffer zone, Erdogan has been allowed to re-draw the map himself, with a sanctioned invasion at the expense of the Kurds.

This is not good

For JJH, who can't access twitter

In a closed door session of the UNSC the UK, France, Germany, Belgium, Poland & Estonia tabled a statement condemning Turkey's incursion into Northern Syria and calling upon Turkey to cease hostilities.

The US & Russia just vetoed it.
Many thanks. Strange bedfellows I suppose and IMHO another example of the uselessness of the UN in terms of its original intended remit. I have also always had great reservations at Turkey's bona fides.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Many thanks. Strange bedfellows I suppose and IMHO another example of the uselessness of the UN in terms of its original intended remit. I have also always had great reservations at Turkey's bona fides.
Turkey was fairly solid, until Erdogan turned up on the scene, as were you guys until Trump showed up. As I said earlier, he has not just betrayed the Kurds, but also the honour and fidelity of the US Military.

Latest Threads