Syria

Al Qaeda in Mesopotamia first distributed death lists in Mosul for any civilian in contact with US forces back in 2004, in 2006 the Mujahidin Shura Council and later Islamic State of Iraq did the same

So same old same old leopard not changing it's spots

I have just got this. Looks good - it is a part two in effect to the other Tom Cooper book which is v good, some silly typos aside. The first book left the War hanging so this volume, with a helpful catch up section preceding the story of Russian intervention, is v welcome.
The focus of this volume is primarily upon the role of the RuAF in Syria. As with Cooper's first book, about the start of the SCW, there is however a good mix of political and military history, as well as of a discussion of the technology used by Russia in Syria, and a colour profile section.

Last edited:
I have just got this. Looks good - it is a part two in effect to the other Tom Cooper book which is v good, some silly typos aside. The first book left the War hanging so this volume, with a helpful catch up section preceding the story of Russian intervention, is v welcome.
The focus of this volume is primarily upon the role of the RuAF in Syria. As with Cooper's first book, about the start of the SCW, there is however a good mix of political and military history, as well as of a discussion of the technology used by Russia in Syria, and a colour profile section.

Thanks, looks interesting and I (undoubtedly much to some’s chagrin), agree with the review. Hence, I too have bought it.

Thanks, looks interesting and I (undoubtedly much to some’s chagrin), agree with the review. Hence, I too have bought it.
The reviews are very good. One makes the point about placing the events, locations, and strategies of the war in an understandable order. Without spoiling this new book for you, there are some insights within which really make you reflect upon the events. For example, the rise of IS in Syria being aided by Syrina traditions of hospitality, which IS exploited. The role of IS in opposing the FSA is examined here and it makes the contention that Assad encouraged IS more understandable. Let me know what you think of the book, SB.

The reviews are very good. One makes the point about placing the events, locations, and strategies of the war in an understandable order. Without spoiling this new book for you, there are some insights within which really make you reflect upon the events. For example, the rise of IS in Syria being aided by Syrina traditions of hospitality, which IS exploited. The role of IS in opposing the FSA is examined here and it makes the contention that Assad encouraged IS more understandable. Let me know what you think of the book, SB.
Wilco, albeit it’s about fifth in my list unless it arrives before my holiday :)

Wilco, albeit it’s about fifth in my list unless it arrives before my holiday :)
Thanks. Look forward to reading your views.
Reading about the situation in Syria at the time Russia decided to intervene, it was a (non religious) miracle Assad had survived to that date. For example, one Ru general assessed that the government had only 25k troops capable of doing any fighting.
Have a good holiday :)

An interesting aside mentioned in this Twatter thread is the inculcated ATGW competence that Syria has engendered.

When a YouTube clip is needed as proof for re-supply, levels of activity and competency are verifiable.

What's also of note from some of the vids is that these ATGW are used on any type of Tgt, even infantry in the open.

Latest Threads