Syria

I have just bought what seems a very good book on the early stages of the Syrian Civil War. It's 'The Syrian Conflagration. The Civil War 2011-13' by Tom Cooper and is published by Helion & Co.
The book is a factual account of the beginning of the war and the author does not appear to be grinding any axes. It is a traditional narrative style history, in A4 softcover form, and containing many illustrations - including aircraft and vehicle profiles, unit emblems, etc. The book is 64 pages long.
Interesting details so far have been the origins of the siege at Dez, and the early (earlier than I thought) role in Syria of Liwa al Quds, Hezb, and other Shia groups. The lack of reliability of much of the SAA is also very apparent, ranging from outright defection, to a refusal to fight (a refusal which sometimes exposed allied units to heavy losses). This seems to have caused an immediate shortage of men, which continues to this day. The importance of the SyAAF in holding the govt. line in the early years is well explored.
The author does not avoid discussion of the nature of the government's attempt to repress the 2011 protests, efforts which included the destruction of Sunni areas of large towns, and all who lived in them.
The book was published in 2015 and does not cover the recent reversal of fortunes of the warring parties. It is recommended for the in-depth discussion / narrative of the origins of the conflict, and the military events of 2011-13.
Recommended.

Last edited:
I have just bought what seems a very good book on the early stages of the Syrian Civil War. It's 'The Syrian Conflagration. The Civil War 2011-13' by Tom Cooper and is published by Helion & Co.
The book is a factual account of the beginning of the war and the author does not appear to be grinding any axes. It is a traditional narrative style history, in A4 softcover form, and containing many illustrations - including aircraft and vehicle profiles, unit emblems, etc. The book is 64 pages long.
Interesting details so far have been the origins of the siege at Dez, and the early (earlier than I thought) role in Syria of Liwa al Quds, Hezb, and other Shia groups. The lack of reliability of much of the SAA is also very apparent, ranging from outright defection, to a refusal to fight (a refusal which sometimes exposed allied units to heavy losses). This seems to have caused an immediate shortage of men, which continues to this day. The importance of the SyAAF in holding the govt. line in the early years is well explored.
The author does not avoid discussion of the nature of the government's attempt to repress the 2011 protests, efforts which included the destruction of Sunni areas of large towns, and all who lived in them.
The book was published in 2015 and does not cover the recent reversal of fortunes of the warring parties. It is recommended for the in-depth discussion / narrative of the origins of the conflict, and the military events of 2011-12.
Recommended.
The review on Amazon is good. As for early Hezbollah use, you only need to read the first dozen pages of this thread. All denied of course:

He writes on ‘War is Boring’ and elsewhere I believe:

Pretty impressive bibliography imo:

The review on Amazon is good. As for early Hezbollah use, you only need to read the first dozen pages of this thread. All denied of course:

Glad the reviews are good. I found the book just by chance. It is an eye-opener. Assad's technique for dealing with the protest seems to have been 'pretend it is not happening and kill everyone involved so it can be denied'.

I would like to quote your the first source - the Amazon review
Furthermore, foreign Jihadists motivated by al-Qaida joined the fray, aiming to establish an Islamist state and clandestinely cooperating with the government, they fell into the back of insurgency.
Does the author sincerely believe that foreign al-Qaida linked jihadists arrived to Sytia to 'cooperate' with Assad regime? And what about domestic al-Qaida branch - Nusra front? Did it also 'cooperate' with the government?

Last edited:
I would like to quote your the first source - the Amazon review

Does the author sincerely believe that foreign al-Qaida linked jihadists arrived to Sytia to 'cooperate' with Assad regime. And what about domestic al-Qaida branch - Nusra front. Did it also 'cooperate' with the government?
Where’ve you been? It’s been a while.

I think you should read the book and then comment on the review. In fact ask @Red Hander about it.

As for jihadists cooperating with Assad’s govt there’s a few sources. What provenance to give them over yours and Assad’s govt rhetoric ....... Here’s one for a start

We could go into the previously discussed supplies of oil by IS to Assad’s govt. but you’ll deny it. We could ask what happened to all those Jihadi’s captured by Assad’s regime and joining local militia’s. You’ll probably ignore it.

I think you should read the book and then comment on the review. In fact ask @Red Hander about it.

As for jihadists cooperating with Assad’s govt there’s a few sources. What provenance to give them over yours and Assad’s govt rhetoric ....... Here’s one for a start

We could go into the previously discussed supplies of oil by IS to Assad’s govt. but you’ll deny it. We could ask what happened to all those Jihadi’s captured by Assad’s regime and joining local militia’s. You’ll probably ignore it.
It appears from the book that the Assad govt did not encourage Jihadists to enter Syria but that, as I think you have mentioned before, it suited the government to characterise the revolt as Jihadist in nature. In July 2011, the government released from custody many thousands of members of the Moslem Brotherhood. These activists appear to have been instrumental - along with Turkish pressure / support - in turning the FSA into a Jihadist body, and in splintering the opposition into competing Jihadist groups. This aided Assad as the Islamisation of the opposition persuaded the West to step back from direct intervention. The cost of this was the actual Islamification of the opposition, and the Gulf States beginning to support the same.

I think that Assad was cooperating quite nicely with AQ all through the US occupation of Iraq. The jihadists didn't arrive in 2011; they never left.

OK. Let's scrutinise your source.
The author Michael Becker (Ph.D. student) refers to the article in the Telegraph
Here we see
Western intelligence suggests Bashar al-Assad collaborating with jihadists to persuade West the uprising is terrorist-led
The Syrian regime of President Bashar al-Assad has funded and co-operated with al-Qaeda in a complex double game even as the terrorists fight Damascus, according to new allegations by Western intelligence agencies, rebels and al-Qaeda defectors.
So, they are only suggestions, allegations. In fact nothing has been proved.
The allegations by Western intelligence sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity,...
Of course anonymity. So technically they are only unconfirmed rumours produced by 'anonymous sources'.

Likely you agree that presentation of allegations as proven facts is a form of black propaganda. Here we see a typical example of this sort.

Last edited:
I think that Assad was cooperating quite nicely with AQ all through the US occupation of Iraq. The jihadists didn't arrive in 2011; they never left.
That's also mentioned in the book. Not AQ in name, but that Syrian intelligence fed Jihadists into Iraq from their country of origin. Some Syrian Int officers apparently posed as preachers online to seek volunteers to fight in Iraq.

OK. Let's scrutinise your source.
The author Michael Becker (Ph.D. student) refers to the article in the Telegraph
Here we see

So, they are only suggestions, allegations. In fact nothing has been proved.
The first thing you do after a week away, with everything that’s going on around the world, especially Russia with weekly protests, ammo dump explosions and missile engine explosions with radiation releases etc etc is whine about a review of a book I posted? To do some denial and obfuscation about Assad?

Should I be honoured? Or should I repeat the assertion you are nothing but a mouthpiece of your ‘crooks and thieves’.
Of course anonymity. So technically they are only unconfirmed rumours produced by 'anonymous sources'.
He has a few sources. You’ve used one.

Do I trust Western Int services over the proven lies of you, your govt and Assad’s govt? Indubitably.
Likely you agree that presentation of allegations as proven facts is a form of black propaganda. Here we see a typical example of this sort.
You’re like another poster who likes putting words in others posts when they get upset.

The first thing you do after a week away, with everything that’s going on around the world, especially Russia with weekly protests, ammo dump explosions and missile engine explosions with radiation releases etc etc is whine about a review of a book I posted? To do some denial and obfuscation about Assad?

Should I be honoured? Or should I repeat the assertion you are nothing but a mouthpiece of your ‘crooks and thieves’.

He has a few sources. You’ve used one.

Do I trust Western Int services over the proven lies of you, your govt and Assad’s govt? Indubitably.

You’re like another poster who likes putting words in others posts when they get upset.
I was overloaded by work, occupied by family problems. Also it was busy week on the forex market. New Zealand Central bank sharply reduced interest rate on 0.5 basic points - from 1.5% to 1%. It caused fall of NZ$ and also Australian and Canadian dollars (commodity currencies) fell. Meanwhile pres.Trump in fact unleashed a trade war against China. As a result Euro, Swiss Frank and especially Japanese Yen (safe haven currency) firmed. It needed my attention. Btw, my daily earnings on Forex are about 170 US$.
So In fact I hadn't much time to post on ARRSE.
As for the protests in Moscow then I commented them and nothing special happened except the criminal case opened against some opposition leaders (mr.Navalny and others). Their (political) organization received money (millions $$) from unknown sources using bitcoins. From my point of view political organization may accept donations but not from abroad and only from known legal sources.
As for the explosion and fire in the arms depot in Siberia then Putin's rule is marked by a lot of (even more serious) accidents and even catastrophes to begin with Kursk disaster.

As for alleged cooperation of Assad with AQ and even with ISIL then the allegations are (from my point of view) just politically motivated fantasies. There are no any proven facts that back the allegations. By contrast close cooperation of Nusra Front with KSA and other gulfies is well known. Only one arms depot in Aleppo captured by governmental troops contained 2 millions of Bulgarian made shells bought by KSA and sent to jihadists.
For years Deir Ez-Zor was surrounded and besieged by ISIL forces. In this context the allegations about 'cooperation' look as absurd... Though I would not be surprised if we will hear that Stalin cooperated with Hitler during Stalingrad battle.

In few words the conflict in Syria (from my point of view) look this way. Initially it was a part of so called the Arab spring, revolt against de facto monarchy of Assad family. Initially there were Muslim radicals among the rebels but their share was growing and reached almost 100% mark. Also Syria was overcrowded by foreign jihadists.
According to London based Observatory for Human right 40% of killed anti-Assad militants in Syria are foreigners. By contrast vast majority of the killed soldiers on Assad side are Syrians.
Syria in fact became a cell in geopolitical chessboard where interests of many countries were involved. Now as we see Moscow is winning in the Syrian geopolitical conflict that began as a civil war but resulted in the new geopolitical realities in the ME.

I was overloaded by work, occupied by family problems. Also it was busy week on the forex market. New Zealand Central bank sharply reduced interest rate on 0.5 basic points - from 1.5% to 1%. It caused fall of NZ$ and also Australian and Canadian dollars (commodity currencies) fell. Meanwhile pres.Trump in fact unleashed a trade war against China. As a result Euro, Swiss Frank and especially Japanese Yen (safe haven currency) firmed. It needed my attention. Btw, my daily earnings on Forex are about 170 US$.
So In fact I hadn't much time to post on ARRSE.
Of course
As for the protests in Moscow then I commented them and nothing special happened except the criminal case opened against some opposition leaders (mr.Navalny and others). Their (political) organization received money (millions $$) from unknown sources using bitcoins. From my point of view political organization may accept donations but not from abroad and only from known legal sources.
As for the explosion and fire in the arms depot in Siberia then Putin's rule is marked by a lot of (even more serious) accidents and even catastrophes to begin with Kursk disaster.
Probably better in your own ‘Dedicated’ thread
As for alleged cooperation of Assad with AQ and even with ISIL then the allegations are (from my point of view) just politically motivated fantasies. There are no any proven facts that back the allegations.
Proving it is a bit like you, your ‘crooks and thieves’ and Assad’s govt actually admitting there was cooperation. Irrespective of any evidence, the denials, lies and obfuscation, ‘whataboutery’ etc. will continue. It’s a well known modus operandi
By contrast close cooperation of Nusra Front with KSA and other gulfies is well known. Only one arms depot in Aleppo captured by governmental troops contained 2 millions of Bulgarian made shells bought by KSA and sent to jihadists.
That some gulf states have supported various rebels over time and some weapons have been captured by Jihadists is not doubted.
For years Deir Ez-Zor was surrounded and besieged by ISIL forces. In this context the allegations about 'cooperation' look as absurd... Though I would not be surprised if we will hear that Stalin cooperated with Hitler during Stalingrad battle.
There was a siege, supplied by many. If that’s your argument that members of IS in one area were besieging some of Assad’s Forces, that no local agreements or cooperation were also ongoing, I have a bridge for sale you may be interested in.
In few words the conflict in Syria (from my point of view) look this way. Initially it was a part of so called the Arab spring, revolt against de facto monarchy of Assad family. Initially there were Muslim radicals among the rebels but their share was growing and reached almost 100% mark. Also Syria was overcrowded by foreign jihadists.
That would depend on your definition of ‘radicals’, but Jihadist types have never been anywhere near 100%. It also depends on your views of ‘terrorists’ as you, your ‘crooks and thieves’ and Assad’s govt call all opposition that word.

As an example, a FSA unit is not fighting Assad’s forces, but aNF. Assad’s forces attack the FSA but not aNF. Who is aiding who?

There’s a large difference in composition from ‘11 to ‘13. From then until ‘15 and to where we are now
According to London based Observatory for Human right 40% of killed anti-Assad militants in Syria are foreigners. By contrast vast majority of the killed soldiers on Assad side are Syrians.
Not ‘vast’. Not when you add Hezbollah, other Sh’ite Militia and IRGC. The ‘majority’ definitely.
Syria in fact became a cell in geopolitical chessboard where interests of many countries were involved. Now as we see Moscow is winning in the Syrian geopolitical conflict that began as a civil war but resulted in the new geopolitical realities in the ME.
Define ‘winning’. And also define ‘winning the peace’. In fact, define ‘peace in Syria’.

There’s a lot more deaths, displacement of millions and Assad ego massaging to go yet. That is if he does in fact regain control of all Syrian territory.

Proving it is a bit like you, your ‘crooks and thieves’ and Assad’s govt actually admitting there was cooperation. Irrespective of any evidence, the denials, lies and obfuscation, ‘whataboutery’ etc. will continue. It’s a well known modus operandi
Assad’s govt actually admitting there was cooperation? Really?
What is the source of this claim? Maybe Reuters reported about it?
There was a siege, supplied by many. If that’s your argument that members of IS in one area were besieging some of Assad’s Forces, that no local agreements or cooperation were also ongoing, I have a bridge for sale you may be interested in.
Anyway any allegations about so called 'cooperation' of Assad government with NF of ISIL should be backed by facts. Maybe Reuters has reported about the facts?
That would depend on your definition of ‘radicals’, but Jihadist types have never been anywhere near 100%. It also depends on your views of ‘terrorists’ as you, your ‘crooks and thieves’ and Assad’s govt call all opposition that word.
OK, then name even one numerous Syrian rebel group that can not be called as radical Islamist one (btw, FSA was an umbrella organization that included many factions). Maybe Reuters at time reported about such a secular or at least not radical organization&
As an example, a FSA unit is not fighting Assad’s forces, but aNF. Assad’s forces attack the FSA but not aNF. Who is aiding who?
It could happen for tactical, operational reasons. This or that point on the front line could be more important than others.
There’s a large difference in composition from ‘11 to ‘13. From then until ‘15 and to where we are now
On this point I agree. Radicalization of Syrian opposition was a process that lasted for years.
Not ‘vast’. Not when you add Hezbollah, other Sh’ite Militia and IRGC. The ‘majority’ definitely.
Previously I posted data provided by Syrian Observatory for human rights.
1565423876222.png

Rebels+terrorists lost 75859 combatants
Government and pro-government forces lost 88616 combatants
We see that vast majority of killed combatants on Assad side were Syrians. There were only 4.75% of foreigners - less than 5%. By contrast proportion of foreigners in rebels ranks is very high. 47% of died are foreigners. So the civil war in Syria has formidable international component. It is not merely internal Syrian conflict but rather geopolitical contest of some global and regional forces.
Define ‘winning’. And also define ‘winning the peace’. In fact, define ‘peace in Syria’.
There’s a lot more deaths, displacement of millions and Assad ego massaging to go yet. That is if he does in fact regain control of all Syrian territory.
I didn't use the expression 'winning the peace' though Syria now is much more peaceful than previously.
i mean 'winning' in geopolitical competition with Washington that in fact lost ground in Syria in direct and indirect meanings on this word.

Assad’s govt actually admitting there was cooperation? Really?
Whatever the claim. CivCas, CW, cooperation. All denied
What is the source of this claim? Maybe Reuters reported about it?
You’re still maintaining a wibble about Reuter’s?
Anyway any allegations about so called 'cooperation' of Assad government with NF of ISIL should be backed by facts. Maybe Reuters has reported about the facts?
I’ve already quoted one source which used a number. You deny. Same old same old
OK, then name even one numerous Syrian rebel group that can not be called as radical Islamist one (btw, FSA was an umbrella organization that included many factions). Maybe Reuters at time reported about such a secular or at least not radical organization&
Still wibbling about Reuter’s. Sucking eggs re FSA. Now, not so much. The Tr FSA aren’t ‘Jihadists’ in the conventional sense. Even Russia says they need to be separated. In the beginning, most. Now try SDF
It could happen for tactical, operational reasons. This or that point on the front line could be more important than others.
Cooperation then
On this point I agree. Radicalization of Syrian opposition was a process that lasted for years.

Previously I posted data provided by Syrian Observatory for human rights.
View attachment 409611

Rebels+terrorists lost 75859 combatants
Government and pro-government forces lost 88616 combatants
We see that vast majority of killed combatants on Assad side were Syrians. There were only 4.75% of foreigners - less than 5%. By contrast proportion of foreigners in rebels ranks is very high. 47% of died are foreigners. So the civil war in Syria has formidable international component. It is not merely internal Syrian conflict but rather geopolitical contest of some global and regional forces.
2015. It’s now 2019. And thank you for admitting CivCas.
I didn't use the expression 'winning the peace' though Syria now is much more peaceful than previously.
You say ‘win’, you define ‘victory’, declared at least twice and of course ‘win’ means ‘winning the peace’
i mean 'winning' in geopolitical competition with Washington that in fact lost ground in Syria in direct and indirect meanings on this word.
Really? Who leads the international coalition for defeating IS in Syria and Iraq? How much of Syria do the SDF control?

Assad, once Idlib falls and millions are displaced in Turkey and Lebanon, needs to take ‘East of the Euphrates’ along with Tr sponsored FSA areas unless his rhetoric is more lies

Whatever the claim. CivCas, CW, cooperation. All denied

You’re still maintaining a wibble about Reuter’s?

I’ve already quoted one source which used a number. You deny. Same old same old

Still wibbling about Reuter’s. Sucking eggs re FSA. Now, not so much. The Tr FSA aren’t ‘Jihadists’ in the conventional sense. Even Russia says they need to be separated. In the beginning, most. Now try SDF

Cooperation then

2015. It’s now 2019. And thank you for admitting CivCas.

You say ‘win’, you define ‘victory’, declared at least twice and of course ‘win’ means ‘winning the peace’

Really? Who leads the international coalition for defeating IS in Syria and Iraq? How much of Syria do the SDF control?

Assad, once Idlib falls and millions are displaced in Turkey and Lebanon, needs to take ‘East of the Euphrates’ along with Tr sponsored FSA areas unless his rhetoric is more lies
Unsourced claims could be interesting but I prefer to have sources based discussion. Let's look at these articles
The great victory train clattered across eight time zones and back before groaning into a military-exhibition ground outside Moscow last month. It pulled car after car of trophies from Syria, as well as wagonloads of patriotism and conspiracy theories. Here was a pockmarked American-made Humvee; there pickup trucks turned into battering-rams for suicide car-bombers. Various home-made bombs included one hidden in a can of Russian beer.
Amid the fanfare of military bands, veterans on the platform recounted how Russia had intervened in 2015 to stop Syria falling into the hands of jihadists, notably Islamic State (IS), who had been secretly armed by NATO. “A lot of what you’re seeing here could have been delivered directly by the Americans,” explains one guide. “It’s not just my opinion. Many think so.” Never mind that Russia fought mostly against non-IS groups, or that America did much to crush the is “caliphate”.
Do you agree that indeed IS and moreover other terrorist/jihadist groups were openly or secretly armed by NATO?

The US President has been accused of continuing to isolate the US from the international community through diplomatic belligerence and aggressive protectionism. In Turkey, for example, tensions have risen over President Tayyip Erodgan’s decision to purchase RussianS-400 missiles instead of US Patriot ones. It has meant their now former ally – seen as a crucial one due to Turkey’s geopolitical status near the Middle East – has moved closer to President Vladimir Putin and Beijing.
Do you agree that demonstration of military capabilities by Moscow in Syria affected relations of the USA and Turkey?

President Donald Trump's surprise decision to withdraw forces from Syria presented a rare and unmistakable victory for Russian President Vladimir Putin, whose relationship with the Trump administration has been anything but predictable.
With the departure of US troops, Moscow would become the undisputed international power broker in the war-torn country and win an opportunity to consolidate a countrywide victory for its ally, Syrian President Bashar Assad.
Do you agree with it?

First — and most importantly — Russian bombing turned the tide of the war in Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s favor. When the Russian military deployed to Syria, Assad was in serious trouble, with many predicting the regime could collapse. Five months later, after recapturing key chunks of territory in both the south and north, Assad clearly holds the military upper hand. Even Lt. Gen. Vincent R. Stewart, head of the United States Defense Intelligence Agency, admits “the Russian reinforcement has changed the calculus completely.”
Do you agree with general Stewart?

Unsourced claims could be interesting but I prefer to have sources based discussion. Let's look at these articles
Yeah, that band played in Palmyra and then look what happened
Do you agree that indeed IS and moreover other terrorist/jihadist groups were openly or secretly armed by NATO?
Going by the lies on the kit on your ‘roadshow’ I’d say most IS, aNF etc kit came from Russia. But as usual, more often captured

Do you agree that demonstration of military capabilities by Moscow in Syria affected relations of the USA and Turkey?
No. Turkey got a sad on when they didn’t get US support after shooting down a Su24, so Erdogan jumped in with Putin and will pay the price

Do you agree with it?
Which year and time was it Russia announced a withdrawal? There’s been so many ....

Do you agree with general Stewart?
Turned the tide in Assad’s favour of course.

None of which address the original point and you still have not defined ‘win’ bearing in mind + or - 25% of Syria is still not controlled by Assad. Let alone the IS controlled areas west of the Euphrates.

None of which address the original point...
The original point that I made looks this way
There are no reliable proven facts that back allegations about so called 'cooperation' of Assad's government with Nusra or ISIL.
It is impossible to prove that something doesn't exist. However, anyone is free to present respective facts.
Has it been made by Reuters? Still you avoid to address this question. It could be just "I don't know". Why not?
...and you still have not defined ‘win’ bearing in mind + or - 25% of Syria is still not controlled by Assad. Let alone the IS controlled areas west of the Euphrates.
1. I didn't wrote about geopolitical victory. So my definition (see below) is not related to Syria (at least now)
2. I wrote that Moscow is winning. It means that it is close to victory but still it is not complete victory.

Definition. Geopolitical victory in a country or in a region means complete or near to complete military, political, economical control by geopolitical player at expense of another one that loses military, political and economical control over the country (the region).

There are no reliable proven facts that back allegations about so called 'cooperation' of Assad's government with Nusra or ISIL.
It is impossible to prove that something doesn't exist. However, anyone is free to present respective facts.
Has it been made by Reuters? Still you avoid to address this question. It could be just "I don't know". Why not?

1. I didn't wrote about geopolitical victory. So my definition (see below) is not related to Syria (at least now)
2. I wrote that Moscow is winning. It means that it is close to victory but still it is not complete victory.

Definition. Geopolitical victory in a country or in a region means complete or near to complete military, political, economical control by geopolitical player at expense of another one that loses military, political and economical control over the country (the region).
The devil makes work of idle hands and the east/west are both far too bored, detached from reality and generally clueless about fixing its own problems to not pause and consider what a mess of the world they are making... On top of that we have Sunni vs Shia, Turk vs Kurd and a myriad of tribal conflicts all highlighting the sheer idiocy on both sides.

The original point was you jumping in with both feet about something written in a review about a book somebody else was reading. Despite everything else going on in the world, you rushed to defend Assad’s regime again. I never wrote the review and his other articles and books appear to be well respected.
Again with Reuters. You’ve had a sad on about them since they quoted Bellingcat on MH17. Anyone would think you were fixated by them

The US has never had to my knowledge that kind of sway over Syria since the Assad’s took over. Let alone lose it to Russia.

Russia was always pushing against an open door with Assad and his father before him. Since 2011 Russia has been supporting Assad’s regime economically and monetarily, with a lot of military aid. Since ‘15, openly in support with the RuAF and SF then PMC’s.

If you mean the US support to the FSA, that died a death even before Trump arrived and he put the final nail in the coffin.

On the other hand the SDF have proven themselves to be the one force which time after time has defeated IS. They control much of Syria but will lose part of it to the Tr armed forces and their sponsored FSA when Erdogan wants a little bit more of Syria. Much as they did in Afrin.

Assad has much to do and a lot more blood to be spilled along with displacing a couple more million before he regains control of all of Syria. When that occurs and he ‘wins’ that peace, you may say he’s ‘won’.

Latest Threads