Syria

Assad pledges to regain control of northern Syria by force if needed
Before the southern rebels are defeated, Assad is threatening those to the north. He’s talking about the areas held by Tr sponsored FSA apparently. Interesting times ...:
“We have chosen two paths: the first and most important one is reconciliation... The second path is to attack terrorists if they don’t surrender and refuse to make peace,” Assad said in the interview

“We will fight with them (rebels) and return control by force. It is certainly not the best option for us, but it’s the only way to get control of the country,” said Assad, responding to a question about the northern part of Syria where rebel groups backed by Turkey hold some territory.
He also doesn’t want western money for reconstruction. They have enough ‘strength’ to do it themselves and if needed will borrow from ‘friends’ from ‘Syrians living abroad’. He’s not mentioning the £Bn’s spent on supporting refugees abroad clearly:
Assad said in the same interview on Sunday that Syria would not accept any Western money to help rebuild the country, which is shattered after seven years of war.

“We have enough strength to rebuild the country. If we don’t have money - we will borrow from our friends, from Syrians living abroad,” Assad said.
E2A: Israel says fires Patriot at drone from Syria, which turns around...
Israeli Patriot apparently missed an Iranian drone supporting Assad’s allies battling the rebels in the south:
“The drone is for operations in southern Syrian around where the battles are going on,” a commander in the regional alliance supporting President Bashar al-Assad told Reuters.

The southwest is of strategic concern to U.S.-allied Israel, which has this year stepped up attacks on Iran-backed militia allied to President Bashar al Assad.

Israel says it will continue to target Iranian assets in Syria with the goal of forcing Tehran out of the war torn country.

I would actually argue that the nature of fighting in cities and the horrible infantry attrition will be the drivers of two options.

Firstly, an acceptance of the use of chemical weapons in the urban environment as used by the Syrians and actively condoned or assisted by their Russian and Iranian friends.

This should not be a surprise. It was an expected part of conventional warfare in the 1930s and I suspect everyone was a bit surprised that chemical air strikes did not occur in 1940. Issue of respirators to civpop were an indication of this.

There is of course a perception cost, but again, as our Russians have shown, if you don't really give a shit, you can ignore that.

Secondly, I think you are likely to see a lot of autonomous drones of different types being developed to take the war into the city instead of humans.

As command and control will be impossible, you will likely see these as being " smart" but only within limits. There won't be the ability to programme for LOAC, probably just IFF.

I think the future of urban warfare will be much more dehumanised and atrocity prone.

This suits some of our adversaries who think "human rights" are low scoring words in Scrabble, but will be a political liability for us.
Interesting article from Popular Mechanics about the results of Russian testing of un-manned ground fighting vehicles. It seems you are correct about their present limits:

. Russia’s Tank Drone Performed Poorly in Syria

Interesting article from Popular Mechanics about the results of Russian testing of un-manned ground fighting vehicles. It seems you are correct about their present limits:

. Russia’s Tank Drone Performed Poorly in Syria
Entirely predictable, based on the limitations of remote control radio frequencies in urban environments.
It would probably perform better in the open, but that rather defeats the objective.

Hence my prediction of more autonomous, but dangerously "dumb" systems that won't rely on a human controller.

This T-90 was captured in June 2016 near Aleppo by Nour al-Din al-Zenki group, it was destroyed by Syrian Army T-72 in 2017. The tank of the SAA Tiger Force was reportedly malfunctioned and suffered a complete power cut at Al-Mallah, near Aleppo on June 9, 2016. The crew did not manage to overcome the problem and decided to abandon the tank. They tried to destroy it by hand grenades but were forced back by the fire from enemy positions. The tank was recovered by the Islamists and later sold to An-Nursa group for $300,000. With An-Nursa it served as part of the armored group along with 3 BMPs during the fighting for Taybat-Al-Imam and Northern Hama . According to SAA sources the tank was destroyed by SAA T-72 near Al-Lataminah on Sep 19, 2017. One T-72 kept the T-90 occupied while another approached from the side and hit the turret with sabot that detonated the ammo killing the crew and destroying the tank. In total 3 T-90 were captured – two in 2016 (both used by An-Nursa) and one in October 2017. As mentioned above, one was destroyed, another tank was abandoned in September 2017 near same Al-Lataminah and recovered by SAA.

36137156_2294028267291381_6602818241079279616_o.jpg

Syrian government forces are bombing and shelling a rebel enclave near the border with Jordan. U.S. offers no help to rebels as Syria violates ceasefire agreement, attacks 'safe zones' | CBC News
The Syrian government is pounding a rebel-held enclave along the Jordanian border with barrel bombs, missiles and artillery, as an emboldened President Bashar al-Assad moves to retake control of what were supposed to be ceasefire safe-zones.
The story has little actually new from today, but provides a good summary of the recent activities of the Syrian government to recapture some of the rebel enclaves. it is also interesting for couple of the pictures which I have included below.

This is a rebel tank in Daraa.

The town of al-Harak in Daraa being bombed.

Syrian government forces are bombing and shelling a rebel enclave near the border with Jordan. U.S. offers no help to rebels as Syria violates ceasefire agreement, attacks 'safe zones' | CBC News

The story has little actually new from today, but provides a good summary of the recent activities of the Syrian government to recapture some of the rebel enclaves. it is also interesting for couple of the pictures which I have included below.

This is a rebel tank in Daraa.

The town of al-Harak in Daraa being bombed.
Interesting article.
I feel sorry for the crew of the T54/55 - the added armour looks like it might improve morale but not much else.
It looks as if the Rebels are going to make a fight of it in Daraa, at least initially. I did wonder whether the RuAF/SyAAF bombardment might be followed by a quick offer of buses to Idlib.

Chemical arms watchdog wins right to assign blame for attacks
Mentioned on the Skripal thread. The U.K. has won the vote (82-24) to allow the OPCW investigations to not only say ‘what, where and when’ but also ‘who’. ‘Why’ will always remain the prerogative of the user. 2/3 needed to pass.

Negotiations now on how the ‘investigative mechanism’ will be set up.

Last edited:
I take the good bergers of Idlib are investing in Anderson shelters and gas masks for the upcoming rematch with Assad?

Hallo Steve Lancs from Yorkshire who used Lancs ‘as Yorkshire was already taken, so I went for the next best thing’.

Iranian militia’s have repeatedly tried to advance on coalition forces near al-Tanf. At one stage an Iranian drone was shot down as was a SAAF jet.

I’d take the reported cas from SAA sources with a pinch of salt personally. They’ll report cas and try and mix it up with the assault on rebels to areas near the Jordanian and Israeli borders.

Whether coalition forces withdraw from al-Tanf remains to be seen but there is comms and warnings given.

Another video showing, inter alia, Syrian Army operations in West Daraa. English captions this time.
Until 4.23, the video shows rebel footage you if you don't want a lot of 'God is Great' [he is, but hearing every two seconds is wearing] you can skip to 4.23!

Hallo Steve Lancs from Yorkshire who used Lancs ‘as Yorkshire was already taken, so I went for the next best thing’.

Iranian militia’s have repeatedly tried to advance on coalition forces near al-Tanf. At one stage an Iranian drone was shot down as was a SAAF jet.

I’d take the reported cas from SAA sources with a pinch of salt personally. They’ll report cas and try and mix it up with the assault on rebels to areas near the Jordanian and Israeli borders.

Whether coalition forces withdraw from al-Tanf remains to be seen but there is comms and warnings given.
Mark Hookham and Tim Ripley byline but as relevant as "SAS sniper shoots DAESH executioner" and similar.

I wondered why an attack by British forces was reported in The New York Times rather than the British press, and therefore whether anyone here knew what was going on...that's all.

I wondered why an attack by British forces was reported in The New York Times rather than the British press, and therefore whether anyone here knew what was going on...that's all.
Sure you did ‘Steve Lancs from Yorkshire who used Lancs as Yorkshire was already taken, so I went for the next best thing’.

Did you miss this bit in the article you posted? “......according to the Sunday Times of London.”

Did you read this? RAF bombed Assad’s border fighters
The RAF bombed pro-Syrian regime forces after a desert battle erupted near a British SAS training base.

A Typhoon fighter jet dropped a 500lb laser-guided bomb during a firefight last month near the intersection of Syria’s border with Iraq and Jordan. A Syrian army officer was killed and seven others were wounded, according to local reports.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a British-based monitoring group, reported that “explosions” had been heard in the desert near al-Tanf, a fortified garrison used by US and British special forces to train a Syrian rebel group fighting Isis.
The rest is behind their paywall.

Just to clarify things, who's side is Britain on? ISIS? Al Qaeda? Israel?, USA? France? Please provide a list.
Don't try to tell me that Britain is making its own decisions for its own well-being because it just won't hold water. What would British citizens have to gain? Angry refugees? That's the result, is it not?
If it's not absolutely clear why British fighters bombed Syria bearing in mind that it is a war crime, why risk British lives for a vague purpose?

Shouting at pigeons again ‘Steve Lancs from Yorkshire who used Lancs as Yorkshire was already taken, so I went for the next best thing’? It is your usual MO rather than use the quote function.
Just to clarify things, who's side is Britain on? ISIS? Al Qaeda? Israel?, USA? France? Please provide a list.
You’ve been pointed to the unanimous UN Resolution 2249 previously: https://www.securitycouncilreport.org/atf/cf/{65BFCF9B-6D27-4E9C-8CD3-CF6E4FF96FF9}/s_res_2249.pdf
Don't try to tell me that Britain is making its own decisions for its own well-being because it just won't hold water.
As part of an international coalition to defeat IS.
What would British citizens have to gain? Angry refugees?
That has to be amongst the most stupid questions ever presented. The refugees in Syria are caused by many reasons, (not least the 11M or so displaced) but coalition attacks on IS are pretty low. More to do with Assad and allies and the wilful use of indiscriminate munitions and of course CW. To say otherwise, we’d obviously see the millions returning from Lebanon and elsewhere. There are dribs and drabs but not a large return bearing in mind how many left.
That's the result, is it not?
Not. And how many Syrian refugees have flocked to Russia comrade? How much money is Russia providing to support the displaced outside Syria?
If it's not absolutely clear why British fighters bombed Syria bearing in mind that it is a war crime, why risk British lives for a vague purpose?
Self defence. If armed units are approaching British ground forces and are not heeding calls to stop, I’m quite glad the RAF provide 500lb of deterrence frankly.

Latest Threads