Syria

Steve.

The twirlies don’t freeze to death you twat. They die mostly from respiratory illnesses complicating pre-existing medical conditions. Unlike your fellow countrymen who do freeze to death after a skinful of drain cleaner and anti-freeze (somewhat ironically).
None of this makes any of what he says less stupid however the deaths he refers to are classed as ‘avoidable’ and caused in the main by older people not being able to afford to heat their homes properly and lack of appropriate social care to pick up when they are ill if they live in their own. We are the worst for this in Northern Europe currently.

It’s about the only thing he’s said where he does actually have a modicum of a point.

But I digress....

None of this makes any of what he says less stupid however the deaths he refers to are classed as ‘avoidable’ and caused in the main by older people not being able to afford to heat their homes properly and lack of appropriate social care to pick up when they are ill if they live in their own. We are the worst for this in Northern Europe currently.

It’s about the only thing he’s said where he does actually have a modicum of a point.

But I digress....
My mother was one of those number. Her care had been excellent including a number of visits and inpatient stays in the local hospital but she had got to the stage that she had had enough.

As to the freezing in their own homes maybe we should have a system in which the older people living in large rented houses could downsize to smaller more affordable accommodation, rather than heating a large rented house they have always lived in.

Syria is death trap for civilians, U.N. refugee chief warns
Further on the donor aid meeting. UNHCR Grandi warning of the next 'disaster' with a possible assault on Idlib:
U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees Filippo Grandi was warning of a new disaster if the rebel-controlled Syrian city of Idlib was the next target of the Syrian military.

“The country is becoming a trap, in some places a death trap for civilians,” Grandi told Reuters during a donor conference for Syria.

“There is an entire population out there that cannot bear its refugees anymore, that is suffering from one of the worse ordeals in modern history.”
I wonder if Sergey will accept this little SOHR titbit? Most estimates put it between 350 - 500,000 or so killed and the refugee numbers refer to those registered, 11.6M quoted as displaced both internally and externally:
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a British-based war monitor, said last month about 511,000 people had been killed in the war since it began in March 2011.

Some 5.5 million Syrians are living as refugees in Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey, and now account for a quarter of Lebanon’s population. Another 6.1 million people are still in Syria but have been forced to flee their homes.
2M apparently live in and around Idlib. It's where most of the relocations have been sent. They're not 'besieged' yet, but it's pretty much a question of time:
“Idlib is where an area where a lot of fighters have transferred,” Grandi said. “If fighting moves more decisively to that area, it could be very dangerous for civilians.”

However, Grandi and other aid agencies predict they will have nowhere to flee to because Turkey’s southern border with Syria at Gaziantep is tightly controlled, mainly letting aid supplies through to Idlib, forcing refugees deeper into Syria.

“I think we are going to lose not only a generation but a population,” Grandi said.

Syria is death trap for civilians, U.N. refugee chief warns
Further on the donor aid meeting. UNHCR Grandi warning of the next 'disaster' with a possible assault on Idlib:

I wonder if Sergey will accept this little SOHR titbit? Most estimates put it between 350 - 500,000 or so killed and the refugee numbers refer to those registered, 11.6M quoted as displaced both internally and externally:

2M apparently live in and around Idlib. It's where most of the relocations have been sent. They're not 'besieged' yet, but it's pretty much a question of time:
So Reuters says that the SOHR told something. But where is original SOHR publication on its site?
I have found this article on SOHR's site (24-11-2017). 5 months ago the SOHR reported
http://www.syriahr.com/en/?p=79337
Syria’s grinding war has killed over 340,000 people since it broke out in 2011, including more than 100,000 civilians, a monitor said on Friday.
Note, civilians are about 30% of the killed (according to the SOHR).
So during 6 years 340,000 were killed - about 4-5 thousands per month (according to the SOHR).
Recent months number of killed per months was lower (according to the SOHR).
Overall during the past four months, nearly 12,000 people died across the country — including 3,001 civilians.
12000 during past 4 months means about 3 thousands per month.
So we have recent estimate 3 thousands per month and upper estimate 5 thousands per month (during the whole war).
Now let's estimate number of the killed (according to the SOHR)
Lower estimate 340000 + 5*3000 = 355000
Upper estimate 340000 + 5*5000 = 365000
So according to the SOHR own data and reasonable estimates, number of the killed to this day is 355-365 thousands that is much less than 511 thousands.
According to Reuters SOHR claims that during the last 5 months 171000 were killed in Syria. About 34000 per month that is too high number.

So, being well aware about habits of Reuters of the World, I regard this number 511000 as allegation made by Reuters until I see SOHR article by own eyes.

So Reuters says that the SOHR told something. But where is original SOHR publication on its site?
I have found this article on SOHR's site (24-11-2017). 5 months ago the SOHR reported
http://www.syriahr.com/en/?p=79337

Note, civilians are about 30% of the killed (according to the SOHR).
So during 6 years 340,000 were killed - about 4-5 thousands per month (according to the SOHR).
Recent months number of killed per months was lower (according to the SOHR).
Look again. It's SOHR quoted in 'ArabNews' As you say, from November last year when Assad 'won'.

12000 during past 4 months means about 3 thousands per month.
So we have recent estimate 3 thousands per month and upper estimate 5 thousands per month (during the whole war).
Now let's estimate number of the killed (according to the SOHR)
Lower estimate 340000 + 5*3000 = 355000
Upper estimate 340000 + 5*5000 = 365000
So according to the SOHR own data and reasonable estimates, number of the killed to this day is 355-365 thousands that is much less than 511 thousands.
According to Reuters SOHR claims that during the last 5 months 171000 were killed in Syria. About 34000 per month that is too high number.
I'm still laughing at you quoting regime favourable articles on SOHR without back up yet dispute them in what Peskov calls a 'reputable' news source.

So, being well aware about habits of Reuters of the World, I regard this number 511000 as allegation made by Reuters until I see SOHR article by own eyes.
I think SOHR are high personally and that's what I said "Most estimates put it between 350 - 500,000 or so killed".

Still, you carry on posting SOHR which accords with your viewpoint and dismiss it when it doesn't :rolleyes: Alternatively, you could read your HOTO notes for the previous discussions and only post their data when from other sources.

If you did a decent search you would have found this as well: http://www.syriahr.com/en/?p=80436
he Syrian Observatory for Human Rights indicates that this statistic does not include the 45000 citizens who were killed under torture in the detention centers and prisons of Bashar al-Assad’s regime, and the observatory got the information about their death during the period of their detention.

It also doesn’t include the fate of more than 5200 abducted civilians and fighters in the prisons the “Islamic State” organization, in addition to that, it does not include also the fate of more than 4700 prisoners and missing of the regime forces and militiamen loyal to them, and more than 2000 kidnapped by the rebel and Islamic factions, the “Islamic State” organization and Fateh al-Sham Front (Jabhat Al-Nusra earlier) on charges of the loyalty to the regime.

Also the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights estimates the real number of who were killed to be about 90 thousand persons more than the numbers that the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights was able to document, and this estimate of the number of the casualties of the regime forces an the armed militiamen loyal to them of Syrian, Arab and Asian nationalities, the fighters of the rebel and Islamic factions, the “Islamic State” organization, the organizations of Jund al-Sham, Fateh al-Sham Front (Jabhat Al-Nusra earlier), Jund Al-Aqsa, Liwaa Al-Umma, Al-Battar Battalion, al-Mujahedeen and al-Ansar Army, the Islamic Party of Turkestan and Jund al-Sham al-Shishan, came due to the extreme secrecy on the number of casualties by the fighting parties, and due to presence of information about civilians casualties the Observatory was unable to document their death, because of the difficulty of reaching some remote areas in Syria.

Also the continued military operations, shelling and explosions have injured more than 2 million Syrian citizens with different injuries and permanent disabilities, while about 12 million other citizens including hundreds of thousands of children and hundreds of thousands of citizen women were displaced between the refuge and the displacement areas, also the infrastructure, hospitals, schools, and private and public property have been destroyed greatly.
Yet another 'big fat Freddie' from the agitprop merchant.

Russian briefing at OPCW chemical arms body is stunt - UK envoy
British Ambo to OPCW calling a duck a small sized member of the avian species known as waterfowl, renowned for paddling on water with webbed feet and has a bill etc. Popularised in cartoons by characters with names like Daffy and Donald.
Britain’s ambassador to the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) said on Thursday that a briefing arranged by Russia and Syria on the OPCW’s premises was a stunt.

Russia and Syria say they have brought several Syrians from Douma, where the OPCW is investigating possible use of chemical weapons in an April 7 attacks, as proof that no chemical attack took place.

Ambassador Peter Wilson said any witnesses should be interviewed by OPCW investigators instead, adding that Britain and its allies would not attend.

“The OPCW is not a theatre” he said in a statement.

Look again. It's SOHR quoted in 'ArabNews' As you say, from November last year when Assad 'won'.

I'm still laughing at you quoting regime favourable articles on SOHR without back up yet dispute them in what Peskov calls a 'reputable' news source.

I think SOHR are high personally and that's what I said "Most estimates put it between 350 - 500,000 or so killed".

Still, you carry on posting SOHR which accords with your viewpoint and dismiss it when it doesn't :rolleyes: Alternatively, you could read your HOTO notes for the previous discussions and only post their data when from other sources.

If you did a decent search you would have found this as well: http://www.syriahr.com/en/?p=80436

Yet another 'big fat Freddie' from the agitprop merchant.
I see
http://www.syriahr.com/en/?p=80436
The title is
"About 500000 persons were killed in Syria during 81 months after the Syrian Revolution started"
However, this number is not mentioned in the text. But
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights has documented the deaths of 346612 persons on the Syrian territory since the start of the Syrian revolution on the 15th of March 2011 until the 10th of December 2017
Remaining 150-160 thousands are just estimate based on some considerations but not backed by any information.
Btw, almost half of militants (jihadists/terrorists) are foreigners, not Syrians. So number of died Syrians and number of killed in Syria are not the same numbers.

I see
http://www.syriahr.com/en/?p=80436
The title is
"About 500000 persons were killed in Syria during 81 months after the Syrian Revolution started"
However, this number is not mentioned in the text. But
Remaining 150-160 thousands are just estimate based on some considerations but not backed by any information.

Have I said any differently? They mention killed under torture, abductees, prisoners killed etc etc. The real figure could be higher or lower and that's one of the reaons why SOHR are not quoted unless corroborated by other sources or explained.
Btw, almost half of militants (jihadists/terrorists) are foreigners, not Syrians. So number of died Syrians and number of killed in Syria are not the same numbers.
Again, those figures can be disputed and this is the estimated total by SOHR for the civil war of whatever nationality be they Indonesian Jihadi's or Russian 'contractors' or anything in between.

Mattis expects 're-energized' effort against Islamic State in Syria
Talking of things having an affect on the fight against Islamic State, YPG fighters are returning to the SDF now that Tr operations in Afrin seem to have halted. I've heard something else on that matter, but AS AR on that for now.

Mattis expects operations to continue against IS in Syria and against any IS resurgence in Iraq with the upcoming elections:
“You’ll see a re-energized effort against the middle Euphrates River Valley in the days ahead and against the rest of the geographic caliphate,” Mattis told a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing, referring to territory held by the group.
The 'operational pause' whilst Turkish operations were ongoing, seems to have stopped and a return to the job:
U.S. officials have said that in recent days they have seen fighters from the U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), an alliance of militias in northern and eastern Syria dominated by the Kurdish YPG, returning to the middle Euphrates River Valley to fight against Islamic State.

A Turkish offensive in Afrin against the Kurdish YPG militia, which Ankara regards as an extension of a Kurdish insurgency at home, led to an “operational pause” in the fight against Islamic State in eastern Syria in March.
French SF also appear to have been allocated to the task along with an expected increase in Ops against IS in both Syria and Iraq::
Mattis added that he was also expecting increased operations against Islamic State militants on the Iraqi side of the border and France had reinforced the fight against the militant group in Syria with special forces in the past two weeks.

U.S. President Donald Trump on Tuesday said he wants to withdraw American troops from Syria “relatively soon” but not before their mission is completed, adding that negotiations over the crisis there should be part of a larger deal regarding Iran.

Interesting bit on PM at 40 mins. It's from the OPCW conference. It would seem that the Russians have flown in some witnesses from the Syrian CW attack to tell their side of the story. Russia are having a hard time as they have not got all their ducks in a row. They are saying on one hand it never happened but on the other it was a false flag.

The full transcript will be interesting to read and to see if these witnesses are the same actors from the Syrian drama filmed last year that Russia has already used as proof that the attack never took place, or may have taken place but it was not us, but we checked the area and it was clear, but there may have been a false flag by the UK and the OPCW will find evidence of this, but no attack took place and you were very bad to have blown up bit of Syria, but we did show evidence of homemade bombs used in the attack which never took place.

Interesting bit on PM at 40 mins. It's from the OPCW conference. It would seem that the Russians have flown in some witnesses from the Syrian CW attack to tell their side of the story. Russia are having a hard time as they have not got all their ducks in a row. They are saying on one hand it never happened but on the other it was a false flag.

The full transcript will be interesting to read and to see if these witnesses are the same actors from the Syrian drama filmed last year that Russia has already used as proof that the attack never took place, or may have taken place but it was not us, but we checked the area and it was clear, but there may have been a false flag by the UK and the OPCW will find evidence of this, but no attack took place and you were very bad to have blown up bit of Syria, but we did show evidence of homemade bombs used in the attack which never took place.
Interesting stuff there. I wonder if Russia attacking the story from several angles is intentional - they have sown doubt about all aspects of the attack and, whenever the OPCW report is published, they can select the counter story that best refutes the FFM findings.
The Russian delegation's tactics look tacky and almost Soviet in terms of being scripted.

Interesting stuff there. I wonder if Russia attacking the story from several angles is intentional - they have sown doubt about all aspects of the attack and, whenever the OPCW report is published, they can select the counter story that best refutes the FFM findings.
The Russian delegation's tactics look tacky and almost Soviet in terms of being scripted.
Errr.... refutes? :) If OPCW FFM say no CW, they can always say ‘told you so’.

They are good at obfuscation. The story has gone from ‘no CW’, to ‘false CW’ to ‘CW factories’. We’ll see but I doubt there’s any urgency. OPCW FFM will say what they say. The problem is the ‘mechanism’ for establishing blame has been vetoed repeatedly. Let’s hope the 3 can convince the entire U.N. there needs to be a mechanism even if (undoubtedly) their results will be vetoed.

Y
PARIS: France concluded after technical analysis of open sources (FB/twitter etc)and "reliable intelligence" (White lids) that a chemical attack on Douma on April 7 was carried out by Syrian government forces, a declassified intelligence report showed on Saturday.
You'll be making shit up again. OS is what it is, OS. Reliable intelligence is usually Sat imagery and comms intercepts. HTH.

Certainly is........
There's a reason I crossed out "Do you think...

Thanks for confirming my good judgement.

Now explain from your extensive time in the ME why the Arabs are so fond of rhetoric.

Ver Russian behaviour from the Russians.

Bringing Douma residents to the OPCW so they can be displayed to the world, interviewed and have their recollections noted by the media.
If the mountain will not come to Mohammed etc....

The usual suspects have thrown their toys out of the pram- big time.

Russia slammed for ‘obscene masquerade’ at OPCW

Russia today sought to rebut allegations of Syrian involvement in the chemical attack on Douma earlier this month by bringing 17 witnesses to the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) headquarters in The Hague.

The Russian ambassador to The Netherlands, Alexander Shulgin, told reporters that Diab was proof the claims were falsified. “Today we can prove that the footage of the White Helmets is a crude staged action, and that the UK, US and France were afraid to look into Diab’s eyes,” he said.

Mr Shulgin added “The truth will out. It is very important to prevent provocations in the future”.

Russia does not lie”.
:) LOL

Diab, with his father sat beside him, said just a few lines, when directed to by Mr Shulgin. “We were in the basement and heard people shouting that we needed to go to the hospital,” he said. “We went through the tunnels and at the hospital they started pouring water on me”.
The statement was a far cry from the video which showed Diab in tears as he was hosed down with water in response to exposure to suspected chemical weapons just two weeks ago.

Russia slammed for ‘obscene masquerade’ at OPCW

Did they expect the Russians not to pull something like this?
Class out manoeuvring by the Motherland.
'The UK and it's allies have described it as a stunt and will not be attending- sort of like the arsch ignore button!'

@184461 I see your film is titled Russia adn Syria Stunt. The question is are these the same actors who were in the drama film from a year ago which Syria made for the cinema.

But Russia said the attack was a false flag but it never happened but then said it did but it wasn't us it was them. So have they made up their mind yet.

The mountain did go to Mohamed but Russia wouldn't let them walk around freely and the mountain is still investigating so the stunt is a little premature.

Any evidence that JC didn't get the same brief as Moldova.

@184461 I see your film is titled Russia adn Syria Stunt. The question is are these the same actors who were in the drama film from a year ago which Syria made for the cinema.
Not that I'm aware, are you refering to the White Helmets film that was put up for an Academy Award or the Douma residents?
Many of those Douma civvies in Den Haag are also in the most recent footage ref. Douma and shown in the footage from the date..

@184461 But Russia said the attack was a false flag but it never happened but then said it did but it wasn't us it was them. So have they made up their mind yet.
Russia/Syria has no idea how they are getting conned they just know they were.
They appear to be changing their defence as more evidence comes forward.

@184461 The mountain did go to Mohamed but Russia wouldn't let them walk around freely and the mountain is still investigating so the stunt is a little premature..
Russia being Russian they've taken all available Douma residents, who seem more than happy to go to NL on a swan, as the world's press weren't going to Syria and the 'inconvenient' episode of locals against the official-line wasn't rxing too much coverage- It is now.

@184461 Any evidence that JC didn't get the same brief as Moldova.
From these stories we can ascertain that 23 states including Moldova, Croatia, Albania, Republic of Ireland, Macedonia, Montenegro and even Ukraine received a higher classification of int than Corbs.
Considering Corbs is very anti- money-making wars they couldn't show him anything that would/could raise questions at a later date.. OSA or not.

'Britain divulged “unprecedented levels of intelligence” to other countries in order to convince them that Vladimir Putin’s Russia had carried out the first nerve agent attack in Europe since the Second World War.

The material provided to the allies included sensitive reports and the conclusions of the military research base at Porton Down, as well as explanation of how these were obtained. The information, senior government officials hold, was key to 23 states and Nato carrying out a mass expulsion this week of over a hundred Russians working under diplomatic credentials.'
Britain divulged 'unprecedented levels of intelligence' to convince countries Russia was behind nerve agent attack

The government has defended its decision not to share the full intelligence on the Salisbury nerve agent attack with Jeremy Corbyn, insisting the “circle” of those with access to highly sensitive information should be restricted.

Ben Wallace, the security minister, said the number of people entrusted with the most sensitive details of the case should be deliberately kept small so intelligence agents’ lives were not put at risk.

The Labour party leader has received an intelligence briefing on privy council terms, but was not given the same access to highly classified information as David Cameron provided to Ed Miliband over Syria in 2013.

“This is serious stuff and the circle of who gets to see very sensitive information is very small, because if you leak it or it gets out, people’s lives are put at risk,” Wallace said.
Spy poisoning: minister defends not sharing full intelligence with Corbyn