Syria

Hallo 'Steve' from 'Yorkshire, but that was taken so I went for the next best thing, Lancashire'
You dominate the forum so that any mildly interested parties will quickly turn off. You are the Arrse version of the BBC - boring and repetitive.
It has been 'dominated' by a plethora of people since it started. Most post their views, ask questions and find out more information as @Red Hander mentioned. Again, most people have set their stall on wanting Assad to win or not, or like me, actually comply with another of those 'pesky' unanimous UNSCR's.

TBH, I'd rather be the Arrse version of the BBC than RT, or any other agitprop site.

Posters of agitprop like yourself are often given short shrift because they act as you do. Post agitprop but don't read or discuss opposing views. When challenged, they get very upset and ask for some tissues. Sergey and I go way back btw. Or at least I should say, the principle holder of his account.
Why do you use an Avatar avatar? Do you associate yourself with Jake Sully and the natives, or the exploitative mercenaries?
Neither. I thought it was cool when I saw the film. I haven't bothered to change it since.
Please try not to answer a question with a question, if you can.
Please try and answer some of the points put across to counter your agitprop.

SteveLancs said:

Scalie Avator-man "Please try and answer some of the points put across to counter your agitprop."

You couldn't do it, could you? Missing off the question mark doesn't do the trick.

All of which detracts from the point of this particular thread, which is about what is going on in Syria.
Why not watch the interview with Baroness Cox and comment on that? She went, saw, and reported. Why ignore her?

Much clearer photos of the alleged missile parts referred to earlier. Russia says they show parts of missiles that malfunctioned.

The earlier versions looked like they were from stills of a 1980s video camera.

Last edited:
SteveLancs said:

Scalie Avator-man "Please try and answer some of the points put across to counter your agitprop."

You couldn't do it, could you? Missing off the question mark doesn't do the trick.
It’s a statement, not a question. A Yorkshireman would understand that.
All of which detracts from the point of this particular thread, which is about what is going on in Syria.
Why not watch the interview with Baroness Cox and comment on that? She went, saw, and reported. Why ignore her?
I asked you to answer the questions I posed first. You can’t even do that.

At least Sergey answers more often than not and engages. You’re unable to. Probably something to do with your psyche.

Much clearer photos of the alleged missile parts referred to earlier. Russia says they show parts of missiles that malfunctioned.

The earlier versions looked like they were from stills of a 1980s video camera.

Some photos of the parts in place where they were claimed to have come down would have been useful. There isn't really any doubt about whether some western cruise missiles hit Syria after all. The question is where they hit.

Syria donors fall short without U.S. aid, warn of cruel end-game
Anyway, back to Syria and 'real' news. $10Bn asked for, $4.4Bn pledged. As mentioned before, the UK have given or pledged over $6Bn since the civil war began. The US has not pledged any more money at this time:
International donors raised $4.4 billion (3.15 billion pounds) in emergency aid for Syria and its neighbours on Wednesday, but the total fell well short of the U.N. target for 2018 after the United States failed to submit a pledge.
Aid agencies also believe Idlib will be next after the final clear ups around Damascus. I personally believe he'll go south and relocate those who don't want to remain under Assad govt control to Idlib:
Humanitarian agencies also pleaded for peace before the Syrian military and its Russian and Iranian backers turn their firepower on the rebel-controlled Syrian city of Idlib, warning of civilian suffering on a greater scale than during the siege of Aleppo last year.

“What I fear is a very cruel battle engulfing Idlib. We cannot accept the war moves towards what is essentially a gigantic refugee camp,” Jan Egeland, head of the Norwegian Refugee Council and a senior U.N. adviser on Syria, said of the northwestern Idlib region.

“There have to be talks to spare the civilians from the fighting,” he said, adding that 2.5 million people were at risk.
The US isn't currently in a position to confirm its budget apparently, but the money is doubtful due to Trump's views on Syria. They're in a similar boat to the UK with providing over a $Bn in aid per year helping those countries support the millions of refugees who fled Syria:
“A number of important donors have not yet been in a position to confirm their financing for 2018 because of the status of their internal budgetary discussions,” U.N. Emergency Relief Coordinator Mark Lowcock told a news conference.

“That includes the United States, which has been providing more than $1 billion a year to Syria and the region in recent years,” he said.

While the United Nations said more money may still come in, the U.S. government is reviewing its Syria policy, including its humanitarian support, and Trump has questioned the value of such aid as he pursues his “America First” agenda.
The aid package to Turkey is also struggling to be agreed by EU members:
The European Union, which along with the United States is the world’s biggest aid donor, is also struggling to agree with its member governments a three billion euro (2.62 billion pounds) package for refugees in Turkey.

“The war hasn’t stopped, people are still being bombed and live in refugee camps. The pledges today show that the conditions for Syrians will only get worse in the future,” said Rouba Mhaissen, a Syrian-Lebanese activist working for refugees.
Russia only sent its EU rep to the Conference and he's upset that EU money for rebuilding isn't promised as they want Assad to go. I suppose its like not buying South African apples years ago:
The international community’s split over Syria was also highlighted by the fact that Damascus was not taking part in the conference organised by the EU. Russia sent no top state officials and was only represented by its EU ambassador.

The envoy, Vladimir Chizhov, challenged the EU’s line that the West would only focus on humanitarian assistance but provide no money for reconstruction of Syria for as long as Assad does not share power with the opposition.

“It’s high time the international community takes bold decisions to help Syria and its people get their country back together, build peace and reconstruction,” Chizhov said.

But the West has ruled that out, seeing money as its best leverage to try force Assad into peace talks, so far, in vain.

Last edited:
Some photos of the parts in place where they were claimed to have come down would have been useful. There isn't really any doubt about whether some western cruise missiles hit Syria after all. The question is where they hit.
Good point. That, and the time delay, are telling. There's also the question of whether missile components survive when the missile fulfils its function. I would say yes (fwiw) which poses the question you refer to - shot down/malfunctioned or parts left after impact on target?

Edit: it could also be the case that Russia has long had cruise missile parts from the Gulf Wars, etc.

Last edited:
Exclusive - France asked U.S. not to bomb Lafarge factory in Syria...
Ooops. 2014 France asks the US not to bomb the LeFarge factory in N Syria whilst it was in a region controlled by IS. French investigation ongoing about LeFarge apparently paying money to armed groups including IS:
“This French investment should be protected,” France’s Syria envoy, Franck Gellet, who is based in Paris, said in a Sept. 19, 2014 email to senior foreign ministry officials, referring to the Lafarge plant about 87 km (54 miles) from Raqqa.

“It seems legitimate that we ask Washington not to do anything about this site without checking with us first,” Gellet said in the email, that included the plant’s GPS coordinates.

The email is among a cache of correspondence sent by Gellet, Lafarge’s then security chief Jean-Claude Veillard and other French officials, seen by Reuters.
E13M to keep it going allegedly:
Human rights lawyers in December said Lafarge paid close to 13 million euros to armed groups including Islamic State militants to keep operating in Syria from 2011 to 2015.

Meanwhile, according to the SOHR
http://www.syriahr.com/en/?p=90267
The last convoy from the Eastern Qalamoun arrives in the north-east of Aleppo carrying hundreds of fighters, their families and citizens who refuse the agreement with the Russians and the regime
Official Syrian news agency SANA reports
12 buses carrying terrorists prepared to leave al-Rahiba in Eastern Qalamoun to northern Syria – Syrian Arab News Agency
The evacuation process of the third batch of terrorists along with their families from Eastern Qalamoun in Damascus countryside to be bused later to north Syria ended on Monday afternoon, in preparation for declaring the area free of terrorism.
According to Reuters
Enclave northeast of Damascus free of rebels: Hezbollah media unit
A media unit run by the Syrian government’s Lebanese ally Hezbollah said on Wednesday an opposition enclave northeast of Damascus was now free of rebels and under state control.

Under a deal between the Syrian government and rebels reached on Friday, about 3,700 rebels and family members left the East Qalamoun enclave some 40 km (25 miles) northeast of Damascus in recent days.
Only one pocket of rebel-held territory remains near the Syrian capital, an area south of the city where Islamic State holds a pocket next to one held by rebel factions.
Pro-government forces are bombarding the enclave, which includes the Yarmouk Palestinian refugee camp, Hajar al-Aswad district and neighboring areas.
The SOHR reports
http://www.syriahr.com/en/?p=90275
the neighborhood of Al-Manshiya in Daraa Al-Balad in Daraa city, witnessed exchange of fire between the regime forces and gunmen loyal to them against the rebel and Islamic factions, and no information about casualties was reported yet, while the rebel factions targeted yesterday after the midnight
Idlib Province – The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights: explosions were heard in the western countryside of Jisr Al-Shughur city, caused by shelling by the regime forces which targeted areas in Bdama town
It looks as broad offensive on all fronts. 'Most likely' game over moment is not far away.

I had a lot of postings deleted because ??? , well no really honest explanation was given. My posts didn't suit the regime. Also they told everyone I was posting from Thailand, so telling you that didn't tell you anything you didn't already know.
Thailand is the Land of Smiles. Very nice people for the most part, but the reason I retired here is that I had a friend who had done it before and assured me I could live on my savings.
When I said this forum was an enclave of serious discussions about serious subjects, I obviously didn't mean the likes of scalieback who always has to have the last word, even if it is utterly redundant.
Attacking me personally won't change things will it? The more vociferous you are the more desperate you will appear to be to anyone you can't bully ... which is everyone hiding behind a nom de plume. How can you bully someone into accepting your opinion when you don't know who they are?
Na' then.
steve i just want to chirp in with one or two observations: there is no regime here. this is a site for serving and ex-serving squaddies. the discussions are often at a good level of knowledge because some of the posters have experience in the appropriate fields. you seem to not understand anything about persec & opsec. and your constant 'why use nom de plumes' confirms that...if you are from where you say you would be better suited in finding a forum which is more in line with your knowledge of world events; whether they be gleaned from the 'alt-media' sites you say you regularly visit...

this place isn't for you

The only reason the JIM mandate wasn't extended was because the findings were consistently problematic for Assad and by extension Putin. Hence the vetos.

The majority of your post is outrageous fabrication. You do not know what you're talking about or rather you don't care that what you're talking about is utter Jackanory.

I have seen two versions of this story. One says AC-130 are being jammed over Syria; the other that EC-130 are being jammed. Take your pick but an interesting story.

Why Syria may be the most aggressive electronic warfare environment on Earth

Russia Widens EW War, ‘Disabling’ EC-130s In Syria
I'd go with AC130s personally, but I'm biased :). General Thomas's points are in more depth here:
American General Says 'Adversaries' Are Jamming AC-130 Gunships in Syria

I had a lot of postings deleted because ??? , well no really honest explanation was given. My posts didn't suit the regime. Also they told everyone I was posting from Thailand, so telling you that didn't tell you anything you didn't already know.
Thailand is the Land of Smiles. Very nice people for the most part, but the reason I retired here is that I had a friend who had done it before and assured me I could live on my savings.
When I said this forum was an enclave of serious discussions about serious subjects, I obviously didn't mean the likes of scalieback who always has to have the last word, even if it is utterly redundant.
Attacking me personally won't change things will it? The more vociferous you are the more desperate you will appear to be to anyone you can't bully ... which is everyone hiding behind a nom de plume. How can you bully someone into accepting your opinion when you don't know who they are?
Na' then.
I've asked several times why you're spamming us with Russian agitprop. You still haven't answered. Why is this?

Yeah,let's look at the scores on them doors...
In its latest report published Saturday, the European-Saudi Organization for Human Rights (ESOHR) said executions by the Saudi government in the first quarter of 2018 increased by 72 percent.
Saudi Arabia has been named as one of three countries who bear responsibility for 87% of all world death sentences. This was confirmed by Secretary – General of the United Nations.

Two Months into 2018: A Rise in beheadings by 167% in Saudi Arabia. Higher than the Monthly Average - European-Saudi Organisation for Human Rights

Then we have all the many wedding parties being killed through the Saudis dropping western kit on Yemenis.
Especially wedding parties.
Maybe KSA wasn't the best example to give as a comparison eh, Graculus?
I note you failed at the first step, comparing with Iran. How Many Syrians have Iran killed?
Look's like he has a better idea than you and is able to alter his opinon based on all sources available.
He isn't though is he?
Who cares and why would that matter? I've spent years in the ME and get my news from tinters as does everyone.
It's the only place to get any news without leaving your own compound/house/flat/pit.
Strangely enough I don't believe you. You lie at the drop of a hat. It isn't hard to leave the compound. It matters because you'd understand the ME, on all levels, tends to value life a bit less.
Always pulled when he really can't add anything, you're completely right our Whitehall troll loves having the last word.
It makes him feel as though he's actually in control of the discussion/converstation.
Spoken like a true narcissist.
This is step 1 in the arsch journey.
When you know you're right as all information you find says 'yeah, you're right' even though you were only trying to confirm the official narrative in the first place and none of what you found was consistent or believable.
Get set for part 2 where you have to start wibbling/ wobbling your head (whatever that actually is) and be otherwise defamed too.
A favorite of backs is 'pigeon shouting' that started when the australia mental health and conspraloon rx'd no hits.
English, do you speak it?
Deflection and distraction while denying any of what you say as though arsch is just a foreign country and the inhabitants 'do things differently there' is pretty standard.

Get ready for the same personalities giving you crap ratings too as though arsch ratings are life/death important although you'll notice that good ratings are desired and played for on here to raise certain members' low self-esteem.

At the moment I have an crab-air REMF (who doesn't read any posts) chasing me around giving me great ratings for every post.
Sounds like "Chase me, chase me"
Get ready for being put on rippers too and/or banned.
The only reason that I'm unable to complement you on anything you write...is rippers cuts the amount of stuff you can do.
Get ready for a lot of angry characters who will do what they can to get you thrown off when they can't beat you.
Sure champ.
You will notice that everyone who thinks the same, except Sergey, is on Rippers too.
That's the inconsequential price we all pay for our dealings.
There are quite a few of who've raised our heads and a lot more who just lurk in the background..
Boo hoo, nobody loves me.
Have you been called a Russian troll or traitor yet?
It'll happen if you carry on although I should imagine you'll just brush it off as desperation, same as the rest of us..
You're a common or garden attention seeker. Your other account ready for an outing?
Welcome to the internet's arrsehole, Mr Lancs..
Yet here you are. Trolling.
If you're here for ratings you've chosen the wrong place but if you're here to show people there's always another side to what systems say it's the place to be.

Chok dee.

Petro-yuan may prove a bigger headache to US than trade wars
China's 'petro-yuan': The end of the dollar hegemony?
Some people have farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr too much time on their hands and not enough tinfoil.

Do try to learn brevity eh?

Could Qatar be next?
According to the Saudi FM- yes, they could.

RIYADH: Qatar should pay for the presence of US military forces in Syria, Saudi Foreign Minister Adel Al-Jubeir said in a statement carried by the Saudi Press Agency (SPA).

FM Jubeir’s statement came following comments made by US President Donald Trump during a joint press conference with his French counterpart Emmanuel Macaron.

Jubeir stated that Qatar must send its military forces to Syria “before the American President cancels American protection of Qatar, which hosts a (US) military base on its lands”.

In his statement, the Saudi FM also said that if US does withdraw its protection - in the form of military base - “the (Qatari) regime would fall there in less than a week”.
Saudi FM Al-Jubeir: Qatar should pay for US troops in Syria
2017- How Qatar Is Being Pushed Into The Arms Of Iran By Saudi Arabia And Its Allies

There doesn't appear to be any elaboration as to who the Sauds think will overthrow the Al Thanis or the relative govt but we need to watch this like a hawk with binos.
Iran are only over the sea a bit from Iran and when the Qatari blockade was imposed by the other GCC Iran actually did supply/food drops to the Qataris to help them out.
They thus get on.
Iran sends aid to Qatar amid fears of food shortages
Arab countries are turning on Qatar; what does it mean for Israel?
Funny old world isn't it? D'ye think that people may Forget it.....

Qatari forces participate in Gulf shield drill in Saudi Arabia

Sorry, I have forgotten to mention the third option - be killed.
It is my opinion. You may agree or disagree but rebels/jihadists/terrorists in Syria have only 3 options
- to surrender
- to flee
- to be killed
Or maybe you believe that they could win?
You could almost be talking about the options for investigative journalists in Russia there Sergei.

Latest Threads