Syria

New from Robert Fisk. I would probably describe Fisk as fair minded but sympathetic if not to the regime, to the idea of a secular Syria. Very interesting article. It has been seized upon by some opponents of the idea of a chemical attack having happened but Fisk is careful in his reporting to report the full context, such as those doctors who were present during the attack not being present to be interviewed.

The search for truth in the rubble of Douma - and one doctor’s doubts over the chemical attack

I said previously that I would try to compare the Russian and American list of targets to see how they line up. They are close, provided you accept that some of the missiles were aimed at targets near those the Americans grouped things under.

Russian count of missile targets as published on the 14th and 16th of April. The numbers are listed as "number shot down"/"total number of missiles".
  • Damascus International Airport - 12/12
  • Blai airdrome - 18/18
  • Shayrat airbase - 12/12
  • Tiyas airfield (new) - 2/2
  • Mazzeh airdrome - 5/9
  • Homs airdrome - 13/16
  • Barza and Jaramana R&D - 7/30 (14th Apr) and 5/"nearly 30" (16th Apr)
Total launched: 99 (approx). Total shot down: 67 (as per 16th of April).

The only changes were Tiyas airdrome was added to the list, and Barza and Jaramana R&D was changed from 7 out of 30 shot down to 5 out of "nearly 30" shot down.

Also, it was claimed that some of those 30 at Barza and Jaramana were "corrected air bombs". This appears to suggest that the building was overflown and air dropped bombs were used. Either this is a mistranslation, or there is the rather interesting suggestion that US planes directly overflew Damascus and dropped bombs with impunity. I will write this off as unexplained until and unless something more concrete emerges and just count these as missiles.

US count of missile targets as per their video press release on the 15th of April:
  • Barza research centre (Damascus) - 76 missiles.
  • Chemical weapons storage faciility near Homs - 22 missiles.
  • Chemical weapons bunker facility near Homs - 7 missiles.
The Americans claim that none were shot down.
Total launched: 105.

The only overlap between the names the US used for list of targets and the names the Russians used is Barza and Jaramana R&D. However, the Americans may be lumping together several different locations which the Russians list separately.

The locations of these targets as listed by Russia are:
  • Damascus International Airport - Damascus.
  • Blai airdrome - I can't seem to find this one.
  • Shayrat airbase - Near Homs.
  • Tiyas airfield - Near Homs.
  • Mazzeh airdrome - Damascus.
  • Homs airdrome - Near Homs.
  • Barza and Jaramana R&D - Damascus.

Leaving aside Blai (as I don't know where it is), we have three locations near Damascus and three near Homs. The Mazzeh airdrome and Damascus airports in Damascus we might lump in with Barza and Jaramana R&D. That accounts for ~30 + 9 + 12 missiles, or 51. I can't find Blai airdrome, but if it is near Damascus, then we can add 18 to the Damascus total for 69. That is very close to the American total of 76.

Shayrat airbase, Homs airdrome, and Tiyas airfield are near Homs (although Tiyas is somewhat to the east). If the chemical weapons storage facilities in the Homs region come under the administrative authority of those airbases, then the Russians may have chosen to list those official names rather than the generic labels the Americans used. That accounts for 12 + 2 + 13 missiles, for a total of 27. That is very close to the American figure of 29. Out of those 29, 3 supposedly got through while the rest were shot down.

Overall, the totals for the two sets of claims appear to be close (assuming that Blai airdrome is near Damascus) once we account for the Russian figures being split up amongst several supposed targets in the same area.

As to whether there were 7 targets or only 3 is an open question. The difference might simply be the Americans are grouping things differently than the Russians are. Alternatively, the Russians may be creating detail to make their numbers look more "solid" and credible. Both sides of course have a variety of motivations for trying to control how their message appears in the press.

However, while we know that Barza and Jaramana R&D got a good working over, as evidenced by photos released, some also supposedly hit Mazzeh airdrome (Damascus) and Homs airdrome (near Homs). Mazzeh is supposedly unoccupied, although it does seem to be covered by some sort of air defence. Homs airdrome supposedly took 3 hits, but no significant damage was supposedly done. It is not clear whether damage to unused storage facilities would count as "significant".

The American position will no doubt be that they're not going to give more details at this time and that they hit everything they wanted to hit.

In their more recent press release the Russians gave the total "score" for each of the air defence systems used.
  • Pantsyr AD system fired 25 missiles and hit 24 targets;
  • Buk system fired 29 missiles and hit 24 targets;
  • Osa system fired 11 and hit 5 targets;
  • S-125 system fired 13 missiles and hit 5 targets;
  • Strela-10 system fired 5 missiles and hit 3 targets;
  • Kvadrat system fired 21 and hit 11 targets;
  • S-200 system fired 8 and hit no targets.
The Russians note that S-200 is designed to hit aircraft, not cruise missiles.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the Russians are likely analysing information provided to them by the Syrians. The Syrians may be reporting "kills" based on the battery claiming it as opposed to the ultimate intended target, which the Syrians would not necessarily have known.

However, the Russian press release has made claims about having shot down a large number of cruise missiles. I so far have not seen any photographs of bits of cruise missile anywhere. There ought to be quite a few scattered here and there.

Until I see some hard evidence otherwise, I will assume that the claims of lots of missiles shot down are primarily for Syrian domestic consumption in order to maintain morale. As noted in a previous post, the average Syrian man in the street seemed convinced that they had shot down a significant number.

I said previously that I would try to compare the Russian and American list of targets to see how they line up. They are close, provided you accept that some of the missiles were aimed at targets near those the Americans grouped things under.

Russian count of missile targets as published on the 14th and 16th of April. The numbers are listed as "number shot down"/"total number of missiles".
  • Damascus International Airport - 12/12
  • Blai airdrome - 18/18
  • Shayrat airbase - 12/12
  • Tiyas airfield (new) - 2/2
  • Mazzeh airdrome - 5/9
  • Homs airdrome - 13/16
  • Barza and Jaramana R&D - 7/30 (14th Apr) and 5/"nearly 30" (16th Apr)
Total launched: 99 (approx). Total shot down: 67 (as per 16th of April).

The only changes were Tiyas airdrome was added to the list, and Barza and Jaramana R&D was changed from 7 out of 30 shot down to 5 out of "nearly 30" shot down.

Also, it was claimed that some of those 30 at Barza and Jaramana were "corrected air bombs". This appears to suggest that the building was overflown and air dropped bombs were used. Either this is a mistranslation, or there is the rather interesting suggestion that US planes directly overflew Damascus and dropped bombs with impunity. I will write this off as unexplained until and unless something more concrete emerges and just count these as missiles.

US count of missile targets as per their video press release on the 15th of April:
  • Barza research centre (Damascus) - 76 missiles.
  • Chemical weapons storage faciility near Homs - 22 missiles.
  • Chemical weapons bunker facility near Homs - 7 missiles.
The Americans claim that none were shot down.
Total launched: 105.

The only overlap between the names the US used for list of targets and the names the Russians used is Barza and Jaramana R&D. However, the Americans may be lumping together several different locations which the Russians list separately.

The locations of these targets as listed by Russia are:
  • Damascus International Airport - Damascus.
  • Blai airdrome - I can't seem to find this one.
  • Shayrat airbase - Near Homs.
  • Tiyas airfield - Near Homs.
  • Mazzeh airdrome - Damascus.
  • Homs airdrome - Near Homs.
  • Barza and Jaramana R&D - Damascus.

Leaving aside Blai (as I don't know where it is), we have three locations near Damascus and three near Homs. The Mazzeh airdrome and Damascus airports in Damascus we might lump in with Barza and Jaramana R&D. That accounts for ~30 + 9 + 12 missiles, or 51. I can't find Blai airdrome, but if it is near Damascus, then we can add 18 to the Damascus total for 69. That is very close to the American total of 76.

Shayrat airbase, Homs airdrome, and Tiyas airfield are near Homs (although Tiyas is somewhat to the east). If the chemical weapons storage facilities in the Homs region come under the administrative authority of those airbases, then the Russians may have chosen to list those official names rather than the generic labels the Americans used. That accounts for 12 + 2 + 13 missiles, for a total of 27. That is very close to the American figure of 29. Out of those 29, 3 supposedly got through while the rest were shot down.

Overall, the totals for the two sets of claims appear to be close (assuming that Blai airdrome is near Damascus) once we account for the Russian figures being split up amongst several supposed targets in the same area.

As to whether there were 7 targets or only 3 is an open question. The difference might simply be the Americans are grouping things differently than the Russians are. Alternatively, the Russians may be creating detail to make their numbers look more "solid" and credible. Both sides of course have a variety of motivations for trying to control how their message appears in the press.

However, while we know that Barza and Jaramana R&D got a good working over, as evidenced by photos released, some also supposedly hit Mazzeh airdrome (Damascus) and Homs airdrome (near Homs). Mazzeh is supposedly unoccupied, although it does seem to be covered by some sort of air defence. Homs airdrome supposedly took 3 hits, but no significant damage was supposedly done. It is not clear whether damage to unused storage facilities would count as "significant".

The American position will no doubt be that they're not going to give more details at this time and that they hit everything they wanted to hit.

In their more recent press release the Russians gave the total "score" for each of the air defence systems used.
  • Pantsyr AD system fired 25 missiles and hit 24 targets;
  • Buk system fired 29 missiles and hit 24 targets;
  • Osa system fired 11 and hit 5 targets;
  • S-125 system fired 13 missiles and hit 5 targets;
  • Strela-10 system fired 5 missiles and hit 3 targets;
  • Kvadrat system fired 21 and hit 11 targets;
  • S-200 system fired 8 and hit no targets.
The Russians note that S-200 is designed to hit aircraft, not cruise missiles.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the Russians are likely analysing information provided to them by the Syrians. The Syrians may be reporting "kills" based on the battery claiming it as opposed to the ultimate intended target, which the Syrians would not necessarily have known.

However, the Russian press release has made claims about having shot down a large number of cruise missiles. I so far have not seen any photographs of bits of cruise missile anywhere. There ought to be quite a few scattered here and there.

Until I see some hard evidence otherwise, I will assume that the claims of lots of missiles shot down are primarily for Syrian domestic consumption in order to maintain morale. As noted in a previous post, the average Syrian man in the street seemed convinced that they had shot down a significant number.
Thanks. That's a great article. I probably need to read it tomorrow again when I am more alert, to do it credit. Blai airfield is id'd here:
Screenshot_2018-04-16-23-11-56-204.jpeg

I agree that the Syrian and Russian reports about shoot-downs seem to be unconvincing. I haven't seen a single image of anything that has been proved to be a downed missile. If such a thing existed, it would be all over the web.

Am I right in reading the Russian 'knock down' tally as meaning that, in their view, 40 missiles got through? If yes, that's not good enough, given the fact that targets are now guaranteed to be hit by anything that gets through the SAM network.

Last edited:
New from Robert Fisk. I would probably describe Fisk as fair minded but sympathetic if not to the regime, to the idea of a secular Syria. Very interesting article. It has been seized upon by some opponents of the idea of a chemical attack having happened but Fisk is careful in his reporting to report the full context, such as those doctors who were present during the attack not being present to be interviewed.

The search for truth in the rubble of Douma - and one doctor’s doubts over the chemical attack
Thanks. Theresa May not only puts her govt (halfway through a Brexit transition) on the line with almost certainty that a certain ‘unkempt’ individual will take her place. With an ongoing investigation into Novichok use in a British city and is prepared to trash any shred of believability left in the SIA and act on ‘rubble dust’? :)

I’m reminded of the UK Ambo’s words a year ago. He said with absolute certainty CW were used and he was proven correct by the JIM. If only they hadn’t been vetoed four times.

Why aren’t OPCW on site? Why is there still a delay over a week after the event?

Thanks. Theresa May not only puts her govt (halfway through a Brexit transition) on the line with almost certainty that a certain ‘unkempt’ individual will take her place. With an ongoing investigation into Novichok use in a British city and is prepared to trash any shred of believability left in the SIA and act on ‘rubble dust’? :)

I’m reminded of the UK Ambo’s words a year ago. He said with absolute certainty CW were used and he was proven correct by the JIM. If only they hadn’t been vetoed four times.

Why aren’t OPCW on site? Why is there still a delay over a week after the event?
Tass say OPCW on site Weds. No idea why the delay. I agree with your other remarks but, as someone said a few days ago in this thread, the Russians are winning the propaganda battle ATM. May have won even as they have sown so much doubt about the chemical attacks.

Tass say OPCW on site Weds. No idea why the delay. I agree with your other remarks but, as someone said a few days ago in this thread, the Russians are winning the propaganda battle ATM. May have won even as they have sown so much doubt about the chemical attacks.
That someone was probably me re the propaganda war. I think it’s time to ratchet it up personally, but not the way it has been :)

Chlorine will likely have dispersed after all of this time. Not sure on Sarin tbh

Thanks. That's a great article. I probably need to read it tomorrow again when I am more alert, to do it credit. Blai airfield is id'd here: View attachment 331210
Using that as a starting point, I can find several sources which equite Marj Ruhayyil Airbase with either "Blai" or "Bali", although none are authoritative. This is near Damascus, and it seems reasonable for our purposes to do as I posted earlier, to lump those missile totals in with the Damascus total.

I agree that the Syrian and Russian reports about shoot-downs seem to be unconvincing. I haven't seen a single image of anything that has been proved to be a downed missile. If such a thing existed, it would be all over the web.

Am I right in reading the Russian 'knock down' tally as meaning that, in their view, 40 missiles got through? If yes, that's not good enough, given the fact that targets are now guaranteed to be hit by anything that gets through the SAM network.
Yes, roughly 40 missiles got through under those claims, the bulk of them at Barza and the rest at Mazzeh and Homs. The former unquestionably got thoroughly pummelled, but the latter two supposedly suffered no significant damage.

Of course what constitutes "significant" is open to interpretation. If a few unused buildings were destroyed, then that might not be considered significant. Keeping in mind that the local chemical weapons program was supposedly dismantled a while ago, the storage buildings may indeed have been empty as they were an obvious target for future inspection.

The key point though is that the majority of missiles were supposedly shot down while the Americans say that none were. That is "none" as in "zero". Supposedly the Syrians didn't even get a shot off until the attacking missiles had already hit their targets. In addition, supposedly every attacking missile worked flawlessly, unlike in some previous cruise missile attacks in which some fell out of the sky on their own.

If the Syrians can show us some plausible looking wreckage in a plausible location, then they have a massive PR coup in their favour. I've not seen a single one yet however.

Tass say OPCW on site Weds. No idea why the delay. (...)
I've seen reference somewhere to some of the people with the OPCW delegation not having the proper UN documentation upon arrival. I don't know whether that refers to the actual OPCW people themselves or to other people with them. I don't know any details beyond that, and I can't recall exactly where I read it. I think this should be considered as unconfirmed until we see something more definitive, but it is something to keep an eye out for.

On ROPS
On ROPs
It may also have something to do with the fact it's a purely 9-man UK delegation for OPCW and not an independent delegation from OPCW.
UK Delegation OPCW (@UK_OPCW) | Twitter
OPCW inspectors 'not yet' allowed in Syria's Douma: UK delegation

I imagine that if it wasn't a solely UK delegation, considering who dropped stuff on Syria a few days ago, the Syrians would have stuck to what they said a week ago.
Syria Invites OPCW to Investigate Alleged Chemical Attack in Douma

Just as the US/UK/Frogs put in airstrikes just before the investigation began.....

Having a purely UK OPCW investigation comes over as being exactly the same as the UK not sharing int with the Russians ref Salisbury.

Many arrseholes also drummed the exact gov/coy line....

'A UK official said that Russia asking to be involved in the investigation of the Salisbury nerve agent attack is akin to an arsonist "investigating his own fire". '
Russia's asking to be involved in Salisbury probe like arsonist ‘investigating own fire', says UK ambassador

You can't expect to have it both ways unless you're with the good guys, apparently.

5 days after the non-evidenced CW attack ( fed from western-funded jihadis) and the day before the US/UK/frog strikes went in-

Edit for links

Last edited:

On ROPS
On ROPs
That someone was probably me re the propaganda war. I think it’s time to ratchet it up personally, but not the way it has been :)

Chlorine will likely have dispersed after all of this time. Not sure on Sarin tbh
More accusations based on evidence and proof or more agitative propaganda, for which you just asked for?
Seem's your wish has just been granted.

Up to 400 Australian companies caught up in cyber attacks blamed on Russia

Key points:
  • Authorities say infected routers could be used for future attacks
  • No indication information in Australia was compromised, minister says
  • US, UK call on victims to report any infections found
  • No evidence of anything involving Russia or any other potential party

Turnbull government blames Russia after hack targets Australian organisations

"The current state of US network devices — coupled with a Russian government campaign(?)
(based on solid evidence) to exploit these devices — threatens the safety, security, and economic well-being of the United States," the alert said.

A few months ago DPRK were gettng blamed for exactly the same offences and defamed, also with no evidence or proof ever provided to substantate any claims.

. ‘North Korea is directly responsible’
North Korea behind WannaCry attack which crippled the NHS after stealing US cyber weapons, Microsoft chief claims

The more you repeat a falsehood the more it becomes true?

That's true agitative propaganda for you.
The liars in govt are busy creating the 'illusion of truth'.

And it does actually work.
How many of you totally believe, without question or evidence, everything from the hacking claims (above) to Skripal/Salisbury and Syria?

A majority % by the look of it.

On ROPS
On ROPs
Very interesting article. It has been seized upon by some opponents of the idea of a chemical attack having happened but Fisk is careful in his reporting to report the full context, such as those doctors who were present during the attack not being present to be interviewed.

Seized upon? I can't think why.

'...The senior Syrian doctor then adds something profoundly uncomfortable: the patients, he says, were overcome not by gas but by oxygen starvation in the rubbish-filled tunnels and basements in which they lived, on a night of wind and heavy shelling that stirred up a dust storm....

...As Dr Assim Rahaibani announces this extraordinary conclusion, it is worth observing that he is by his own admission not an eyewitness himself and, as he speaks good English, he refers twice to the jihadi gunmen of Jaish el-Islam [the Army of Islam] in Douma as “terrorists” – the regime’s word for their enemies, and a term used by many people across Syria. Am I hearing this right? Which version of events are we to believe?

...There are the many people I talked to amid the ruins of the town who said they had “never believed in” gas stories – which were usually put about, they claimed, by the armed Islamist groups....

...So the story of Douma is thus not just a story of gas – or no gas, as the case may be. It’s about thousands of people who did not opt for evacuation from Douma on buses that left last week, alongside the gunmen with whom they had to live like troglodytes for months in order to survive...

...“I was with my family in the basement of my home three hundred metres from here on the night but all the doctors know what happened. There was a lot of shelling [by government forces] and aircraft were always over Douma at night – but on this night, there was wind and huge dust clouds began to come into the basements and cellars where people lived. People began to arrive here suffering from hypoxia, oxygen loss. Then someone at the door, a “White Helmet”, shouted “Gas!”, and a panic began. People started throwing water over each other. Yes, the video was filmed here, it is genuine, but what you see are people suffering from hypoxia – not gas poisoning.” ...

...The White Helmets – the medical first responders already legendary in the West but with some interesting corners to their own story – played a familiar role during the battles. They are partly funded by the Foreign Office and most of the local offices were staffed by Douma men....

...Of course we must hear their side of the story, but it will not happen here: a woman told us that every member of the White Helmets in Douma abandoned their main headquarters and chose to take the government-organised and Russian-protected buses to the rebel province of Idlib with the armed groups when the final truce was agreed....

...The town’s complement of Syrian interior ministry civilian police – who eerily wear military clothes – are watched over by the Russians who may or may not be watched by the civilians. Again, my earnest questions about gas were met with what seemed genuine perplexity....

...How could it be that Douma refugees who had reached camps in Turkey were already describing a gas attack which no-one in Douma today seemed to recall? ....

...Ah yes, Ms May, I remembered, whose air strikes had been so intimately connected to this place of tunnels and dust. And gas?....

Ah, Robert Fisk is obviously a Russian troll, conspiraloon and a traitor to his country, why else would he write what he wrote?

Isn't he what's called an investigative journalist?
A multi-award winning investigative journalist?

1523935603475.png

A dying trade-

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
The Russians and Syrians have kept the OPCW out of Douma for long enough for all traces of chlorine in the environment to have dispersed so the inspectors will probably be allowed in now
Kept out because the troop only consists of Brits. And don't forget that one of the places the "allies" banjoed had been visited by the OPCW three weeks ago, where it was certified that CW are no longer being produced there. Curious, eh?

MsG

I
It may also have something to do with the fact it's a purely 9-man UK delegation for OPCW and not an independent delegation from OPCW.
UK Delegation OPCW (@UK_OPCW) | Twitter
OPCW inspectors 'not yet' allowed in Syria's Douma: UK delegation

I imagine that if it wasn't a solely UK delegation, considering who dropped stuff on Syria a few days ago, the Syrians would have stuck to what they said a week ago.
Syria Invites OPCW to Investigate Alleged Chemical Attack in Douma

Just as the US/UK/Frogs put in airstrikes just before the investigation began.....

Having a purely UK OPCW investigation comes over as being exactly the same as the UK not sharing int with the Russians ref Salisbury.

Many arrseholes also drummed the exact gov/coy line....

'A UK official said that Russia asking to be involved in the investigation of the Salisbury nerve agent attack is akin to an arsonist "investigating his own fire". '
Russia's asking to be involved in Salisbury probe like arsonist ‘investigating own fire', says UK ambassador

You can't expect to have it both ways unless you're with the good guys, apparently.

5 days after the non-evidenced CW attack ( fed from western-funded jihadis) and the day before the US/UK/frog strikes went in-

Edit for links
Why do you think the OPCW team in Syria is comprised of Brits? There is nothing to that effect in the article you quote.
The article means that the UK representatives (or delegation) to the OPCW have expressed concern at delay to access to the site. NOT that the team itself is British.
If you and @DaManBugs keep repeating that allegation it will literally be fake news (unless you can support your contention that the OPCW FFM is comprised of Brits only).
I have checked OPCW documents about the FFM and its composition is not touched upon other than in general terms.

And @184461 one of your posts questions the independence of the OPCW. No one else has questioned this. In fact, Russia and Syria ASKED the OPCW to visit Douma. The OPCW visit is important precisely because it is independent.

OPCW Will Deploy Fact-Finding Mission to Douma, Syria

From which comes this quote:

'Today, the OPCW Technical Secretariat has requested the Syrian Arab Republic to make the necessary arrangements for such a deployment. This has coincided with a request from the Syrian Arab Republic and the Russian Federation to investigate the allegations of chemical weapons use in Douma. The team is preparing to deploy to Syria shortly.'

Last edited:
The Russians and Syrians have kept the OPCW out of Douma for long enough for all traces of chlorine in the environment to have dispersed so the inspectors will probably be allowed in now
Kept out because the troop only consists of Brits. And don't forget that one of the places the "allies" banjoed had been visited by the OPCW three weeks ago, where it was certified that CW are no longer being produced there. Curious, eh?

MsG
Bullsh1t
Got any actual evidence that the OPCW team are all British or even that any of them are British.
No of course you haven’t now go away you sad little muppet.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Bullsh1t
Got any actual evidence that the OPCW team are all British or even that any of them are British.
Well, yer Ma seems to like me. She said I was far less boring in bed than you.:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

MsG

It’s certainly very curious that the Syrian and Russian authorities are happy to allow journalists to be shepherded around, with access to Doctors who have an opinion, but who weren’t actually eye witnesses themselves and yet there are “pending security issues”preventing the OPCW Fact Finding Mission from entering the area.

Isn’t Peter Fisk British?

It’s certainly very curious that the Syrian and Russian authorities are happy to allow journalists to be shepherded around, with access to Doctors who have an opinion, but who weren’t actually eye witnesses themselves and yet there are “pending security issues”preventing the OPCW Fact Finding Mission from entering the area.

Good point.
Fisk is British.
It is worth pointing out that while Fisk was allowed to wander about, every Syrian is aware of the reach of the secret police and, therefore, of the need to be tactful when answering reporter's questions.
The OPCW are going to have a hard job given the highly politicised nature of the situation and the attempt by the Russians and Syrians to delay and confuse matters.
(Such as press visits when all eyewitness medics are away but, handily, a doctor is on site to refute the story).

On ROPS
On ROPs

It certainly is bizarre, whatever's actually going on.

Robert Fisk? He's been around and got all the t-shirts.
Robert Fisk - Wikipedia

Bullsh1t
Out of the 3 posts all you could concentrate on was the one thing and that wasn't till RedHandler did the maths for you?

How does this read to you although....
You'll have to wait till someone else does the thinking for you then you can reply on the back of his/her/it's coat-tails.

'The British delegation to the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) said on Tuesday that inspectors were in Damascus but still unable to visit the site where more than 70 people were killed by a suspected regime chemical attack.

“OPCW arrived in Damascus on Saturday. Russia & Syria have not yet allowed access to Douma. Unfettered access essential. Russia & Syria must cooperate,” the UK delegation said in a tweet.'

UK accuses Russia and Syria of blocking chemical inspectors from visiting Douma

It read to me as though the delegation was the team and they were all from UK.

The main OPCW page doesn't really mention any delays in Douma OPCW (@OPCW) | Twitter but the UK variety isn't shutting up about it UK Delegation OPCW (@UK_OPCW) | Twitter
I could easily be wrong as the passage of int is sketchy here most times no matter how hard one tries to track down the truth.

If there was anyone else apart from the UK this could have gone differently.

On ROPS
On ROPs
Good point.
Fisk is British.
It is worth pointing out that while Fisk was allowed to wander about, every Syrian is aware of the reach of the secret police and, therefore, of the need to be tactful when answering reporter's questions.
The OPCW are going to have a hard job given the highly politicised nature of the situation and the attempt by the Russians and Syrians to delay and confuse matters.
(Such as press visits when all eyewitness medics are away but, handily, a doctor is on site to refute the story).
He's been around doing this forever.
He did Beirut back in the good old days, Bosnia, Kosovo, Algeria, Iran-Iraq, Pakistan,Afghan, Iraq again and now Syria.
If he had any doubts ref the veracity of information he would have voiced his opinions in the article.
This old dog is nobody's fool.