Syria - the Russian persepctive

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Apologies if posted already - the search function suggested not. Article in the Observer written, ostensibly, by the Russian Ambassador to the UK:

Russia came to Syria to fight terrorists. And we are succeeding | Alexander Yakovenko

Selected quote:

Our military does what it can, verifying the targets to make sure these are not civilian objects, to exclude any loss of life and limit damage to civil infrastructure. (We are always ready to concede concrete evidence that our strikes have hit civilian targets, and investigate accordingly – but we have so far seen none.)
It's being received quite favourably by BTL commenters.

Aleppo air strike kills 14 members of one family - rescue workers
Russia came to Syria to fight terrorists. And we are succeeding | Alexander Yakovenko
Our military does what it can, verifying the targets to make sure these are not civilian objects, to exclude any loss of life and limit damage to civil infrastructure. (We are always ready to concede concrete evidence that our strikes have hit civilian targets, and investigate accordingly – but we have so far seen none.
Another one for Russia to investigate. Apparently this is the first :rolleyes:

If these 14 all are militants then they and their fortified position was a legitimate target. Was it made by RuAF or SyAF? It is unclear. Russian doesn't bear any responsibilty for actions of SyAF.
Indeed, they won't take any responsibility for Syrian actions, they don't even take responsibility for their own actions.

Apologies if posted already - the search function suggested not. Article in the Observer written, ostensibly, by the Russian Ambassador to the UK:

Selected quote:

It's being received quite favourably by BTL commenters.
Let's continue with selected quotes
The combat is tough in Aleppo, where the Syrian army is wrestling with the rebels, over half of whom belong to Jabhat al-Nusra, an offspring of al-Qaida...
Nusra is a cancer that should be eliminated along with (maybe) healthy Syrians (rebels) if they prefer to fight shoulder to shoulder with Nusra militants.
Those who fight in eastern Aleppo shamelessly use civilians as a human shield, block their passage to safety through established humanitarian corridors, and hamper the delivery of humanitarian aid (they say they didn’t want a ceasefire and humanitarian aid).
Meanwhile
Syria war: Russia announces Aleppo humanitarian pause - BBC News
Russia has announced a "humanitarian pause" in its bombing of the Syrian city of Aleppo.

Moscow said it would halt operations in Aleppo on Thursday for an eight-hour span between 08:00 (05:00 GMT) and 16:00.

The Russian defence ministry said the pause was agreed so that civilians and rebels could leave the city.

Indeed, they won't take any responsibility for Syrian actions, they don't even take responsibility for their own actions.
US/UK/NATO AF bombed Syrian troops near Deir Ez-Zor with dozens of killed soldiers.
What is the result of the investigation that was promised?
What responsibility would bear Washington or London? I may suggest - zero.

US/UK/NATO AF bombed Syrian troops near Deir Ez-Zor with dozens of killed soldiers.
What is the result of the investigation that was promised?
What responsibility would bear Washington or London? I may suggest - zero.
Maybe the investigation is not finalised yet.

I believe that 7-8 years would be enough.
It's not Russia, the West don't just get a fall guy and have a show trial on trumped up charges (like certain female Ukrainian pilots).

If these 14 all are militants then they and their fortified position was a legitimate target. Was it made by RuAF or SyAF? It is unclear. Russian doesn't bear any responsibilty for actions of SyAF.
Highly unlikely. Tell me what steps your govt have made to investigate the deaths?

Highly unlikely. Tell me what steps your govt have made to investigate the deaths?
There is no ground to begin any investigation.
Next time rebels/terrorists would say that 140 are killed during airstrike and all are women and children.
Information provided by rebels/terrorists is unreliable.

There is no ground to begin any investigation.
Next time rebels/terrorists would say that 140 are killed during airstrike and all are women and children.
Information provided by rebels/terrorists is unreliable.
Okay, just what evidence would you accept as being 'worthy' of investigation? Just who can make a complaint and to whom?

The likelihood of 140 being killed is of course exponentially increased by a failure to investigate any

The Russian Ambassador is not the most diplomatic diplomat around is he?

Rubbishing our Foreign Secretary, criticising western foreign policy, whitewashing his own country and saying its all our fault.

It's quite refreshing in one way. Quite shamelessly self serving in another as it boils down to "you lot were useless and we had to come along and do all the heavy lifting". I suppose the exam question is "is he correct".

It would be nice to think that the Sovs had introduced 35,000 ISIS murderers to their god.

Not being in the loop, and dependent on public sources of information, I can only guess about Russia's motives for being in Syria. These are:
(1) Being fed up with the nonsense there, they decided to sort it all out. [America wants help in keeping order in the world, and suggests that China should be more involved in resolving world issues, but why should they when Russia gets criticised for intervening?]
(2) They wanted to make sure that Assad paid for all the weapons Syria had bought from Russia over the past few decades.
(3) They are an evil expansionist empire, and Boris Johnson wants the British public to tell them to stop.
(4) It's something to do with the routes of oil pipelines.

Not being in the loop, and dependent on public sources of information, I can only guess about Russia's motives for being in Syria. These are:
(1) Being fed up with the nonsense there, they decided to sort it all out. [America wants help in keeping order in the world, and suggests that China should be more involved in resolving world issues, but why should they when Russia gets criticised for intervening?]
(2) They wanted to make sure that Assad paid for all the weapons Syria had bought from Russia over the past few decades.
(3) They are an evil expansionist empire, and Boris Johnson wants the British public to tell them to stop.
(4) It's something to do with the routes of oil pipelines.
There is the official version sounded by Moscow - fight with terrorism.
But IMHO it is only one from some other causes.
Of course, it is better to fight with terrorists, extremists, jihadists from Russia on Syrian soil than try to find them in Russia. Noone would deny it.
But another important objective is geopolitical project in the ME with Syria as a base. It includes btw permanent military bases, demonstration of modern Russian military hardware in action.
In more wide context Moscow tries to position itself as major player on the international stage. Not a superpower but something close to it. Soviet military might was respected. And Russian one should be respected as Russian leadership reckons.
There is another effect (calculated by Moscow). On Syrian background, Crimea and events in Ukraine are not in the headlines of mass media.
Kremlin needs a pause to continue its Ukrainian project (that is far from the end). Syrian adventure is intended to fill the pause.

There is the official version sounded by Moscow - fight with terrorism.
But IMHO it is only one from some other causes.
Of course, it is better to fight with terrorists, extremists, jihadists from Russia on Syrian soil than try to find them in Russia. Noone would deny it.
But another important objective is geopolitical project in the ME with Syria as a base. It includes btw permanent military bases, demonstration of modern Russian military hardware in action.
In more wide context Moscow tries to position itself as major player on the international stage. Not a superpower but something close to it. Soviet military might was respected. And Russian one should be respected as Russian leadership reckons.
There is another effect (calculated by Moscow). On Syrian background, Crimea and events in Ukraine are not in the headlines of mass media.
Kremlin needs a pause to continue its Ukrainian project (that is far from the end). Syrian adventure is intended to fill the pause.
You forgot, 'influence over near abroad' and 'upsetting Gulfies'
BBC: Turkey downs Russian jet after alleged airspace violation

DaManBugs

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
The Russian Ambassador is not the most diplomatic diplomat around is he?

Rubbishing our Foreign Secretary, criticising western foreign policy, whitewashing his own country and saying its all our fault.

It's quite refreshing in one way. Quite shamelessly self serving in another as it boils down to "you lot were useless and we had to come along and do all the heavy lifting". I suppose the exam question is "is he correct".

It would be nice to think that the Sovs had introduced 35,000 ISIS murderers to their god.
[My bold in your post] Are those not exactly the same tactics John Kerry employs?

MsG

Latest Threads