Syria mobilises (maybe)

http://www.ynetnews.com/Ext/Comp/ArticleLayout/CdaArticlePrintPreview/1,2506,L-3526578,00.html

Report: Syrian reservists called up for fear of Israeli strike

London-based al-Quds al-Arabi newspaper quotes sources in Damascus as saying Syria views Israeli media reports, IDF commanders' statements as incitement, attempt to prepare public opinion for war. According to report, Syrian army on heightened alert, conducting wide-scale drills
Roee Nahmias

Syria is preparing for a comprehensive Israeli strike which will be combined with an attack on Hizbullah, sources in Damascus have told the London-based Arabic-language al-Quds al-Arabi newspaper.

The sources, which refused to reveal their identity, reported that Syria was closely monitoring the movement of Israeli forces along the northern border...
http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=49963&sectionid=351020206

Syria denies reports of military drill
Wed, 02 Apr 2008 16:47:31

Syria has denied a report according to which it has massed its forces along the Lebanese border in preparation for an Israeli strike.

"The report, which was published in [the London-based daily], Al-Quds Al-Arabi is totally false," Col. Ahmad Munir Muhammad, a member of the Syrian parliament's National Security Committee, told The Media Line on Wednesday...
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/971398.html

Israel fears Syrian army moves may signal Hezbollah attack

By Amos Harel, Avi Issacharoff, Yuval Azoulay and Barak Ravid, Haaretz Correspondents

Tags: Israel, Syria, IDF, Hezbollah

Israel is concerned that recent actions by the Syrian armed forces are a possible preamble for a Hezbollah operation against the northern border and a broader conflagration.

The Deputy Chief of Staff, Major-General Dan Harel, warned Wednesday that Israel will respond with a heavy hand against anyone trying to target Israel.

In a further sign that tensions are mounting along the Israel-Syrian border, Defense Minister Ehud Barak has canceled a scheduled visit to Germany.

The London-published daily Al-Quds al-Arabi reported Wednesday that the Syrians have recently deployed three armored divisions because Damascus is concerned about an Israeli attack...
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/771495.html

Assad: Syrian military preparing for war with Israel

By Yoav Stern, Haaretz Correspondent

The Syrian military is preparing for war with Israel, Syria's President Bashar Assad told the Quwaiti newspaper Al-Anba on Saturday.

In an interview widely quoted by Syrian news agencies, Assad said Israel could attack Syria "at any moment."

"We must remain ready at all times," said Assad. "We have begun preparations within the framework of our options."..
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/971030.html

IDF Deputy Chief vows 'painful' response to any attack on Israel

By Yoav Stern, Haaretz Correspondent and News Agencies

Israel Defense Forces Deputy Chief of Staff Major General Dan Harel on Wednesday warned Israel's enemies not to attack, saying "anyone who tries to harm Israel must remember that it is the strongest country in the region, and retaliation will be powerful and painful."

Harel's words came during a briefing for reporters at a Tel Aviv army base, hours after London-based Arabic-language daily Al Quds al-Arabi reported that the Syrian army was calling up part of its reserves over fears of an IDF offensive...
Probably nothing... amazing how one London newspaper report can create such a flurry of panicky speculation.

Would be a way of Syria deflecting current unrest with the rest of the Arab world if they attacked Israel.

I doubt that the IDF would be worried. They did manage to kick the be-jaysus out of three Arab (Syria, Jordan, Egypt) countries at once during the Six Day War.

doubt that the IDF would be worried. They did manage to kick the be-jaysus out of three Arab (Syria, Jordan, Egypt) countries at once during the Six Day War.
Yes but they got pasted last year by a bunch of terrorists who did manage to knock out several MBTs .

If say Syria did kick of I think the boys in Gaza would try the back way at the same time- war on two fronts dodgy without resorting to Air and even shiney sand time?

Peres denies escalation with Syria

"We have no intention at all of attacking Syria - Israel is not looking to go to war, and I hear that Syria says the same," said President Shimon Peres Thursday, "but there are some sources who have interests in heating up the [northern border] area."

The president, speaking whilst on a visit in Arad, stated that in his estimation, the sensation of the eve of a war in the north is a sensation only, and it will pass soon...
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1207209967235&pagename=JPost/JPArticle/Printer

Israel 'all set for war with Hezbollah'
Tue, 01 Apr 2008 20:32:41

Israeli war minister Ehud Barak claims the regime has learnt many lessons from the Lebanon war to stand against Hezbollah's great power.

"We have many lessons to learn from the Second Lebanon War, which we will hopefully implement in IDF training," he said.

Israel has experienced "severe failures and faults" during a 33-day war against Hezbollah in summer 2006, the recently published Winograd Report revealed, making the war a total failure for the regime.

Barak also claimed that "Hezbollah is getting stronger, but so is Israel", adding that "I would suggest that no one of the other side of the border mess with Israel, for their own good"...
http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=49848&sectionid=351020202

IMHO the tension up north is not an absolute prelude to war. On the flip side, both Peres and Olmert having spoken publicly in the last day hoped that it would all ease up. Certainly something going on / down by the fact that they mention it. Hopefully it will all pass, but as I mentioned previously there has been the odd radio ad for civil defence preparation and a Ynet article yesterday mentioned re-distribution on the cards for civilian NBC respirators etc.

If it kicks off in the north, Hezb would try & take advantage in the south (, but there again so may the IDF with media attention fixed on the north).

Vis a vis knocked out MBTs and Hezb, the AT kit was top end market and I dont recall the Mk IV Merks being knocked out, just III's. Also, Hezb (though tough fighters) never achieved in ground engagements. That is now (ancient) history, Hezb have re-armed and re-organised and the IDF has been working through it's doctrine since 2006.

The worry would be Syria - Israel - Palestine kicking off, and the Iranians charging in the back door through Iraq. Turkey may also take the opportunity to attack the Kurds. This would leave the USA and the remaining coalition forces stuck in the middle.

Any conflict in this powderkeg of an area could turn into a very very large scale war at the drop of a scud missile.

Recession = Big war - maybe !

Edited to add: I hope the "Powers that be" have thought of this scenario too. I'd hate to turn around and say I told ya so !