Syria, Iran intelligence services aided Hezbollah during war

"Syria, Iran intelligence services aided Hezbollah during war"
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=769538&contrassID=1&subContrassID=5
(Article from Israel's Haaretz this morning)

Article starts:

"During the fighting in Lebanon Hezbollah received direct intelligence support from Syria, using data collected by listening posts jointly manned by Russian and Syrian crews. Hezbollah was also fed intelligence from new listening posts built on the Syrian side of the Golan Heights, which are operated jointly with Iran...."

Interesting information about listening posts follows in the article.

More on Hezbollah at: http://www.tt-iraq.com/Default.aspx?nw=HEZBOLLAH&pn=LEBANON

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
I don't think this should come as a surprise to anyone really.

The Russians used to lend covert/overt support the Arabs, and the USA still do the same for Israel.

Did they catch any? No? Any evidence? No, just he said she said. What a surprise. Iranian RGs are, as I've said before, like the busload of nurses from Rheindahlen - everyone's heard the story but nobody's ever seen one.

A country that is in a state of war with Israel transferred intelligence about its enemy to another enemy of Israel. Nothing special.

Russian involvement? I see only suppositions and theories.

Surely they were'nt listening posts but weather stations (to tell wether the enemy is coming or not )
:twisted: :twisted:

KGB_resident said:
A country that is in a state of war with Israel transferred intelligence about its enemy to another enemy of Israel. Nothing special.

Russian involvement? I see only suppositions and theories.
Now there's confirmation if ever I heard it :D

GuyT said:
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=769538&contrassID=1&subContrassID=5
(Article from Israel's Haaretz this morning)

Article starts:

"During the fighting in Lebanon Hezbollah received direct intelligence support from Syria, using data collected by listening posts jointly manned by Russian and Syrian crews. .......
Probably so they could understand all the Russian Immigrants fighting in the IDF ? Over 1 million immigrants from Russia since 1990, a very high proportion of them not recognised as "Jewish" by the religious authorities.

http://www.news.uiuc.edu/ii/03/0724/07israel_P.html

machiavelli said:
Surely they were'nt listening posts but weather stations (to tell wether the enemy is coming or not )
Given the number of times Israel has come bounding across the border who would blame them !

....and exactly what are those golf balls on Mt Olympus in Cyprus anyway ? Pot, meet Mr Kettle.

saladin said:
machiavelli said:
Given the number of times Israel has come bounding across the border who would blame them !

....and exactly what are those golf balls on Mt Olympus in Cyprus anyway ? Pot, meet Mr Kettle.
I agree, doesnt sound like a new concept to me

GuyT said:
I'm shocked to hear this.

Next thing you'll be telling me the Yanks helped out the Israelis by shipping them vast quantities of AP ordinance via the sweaties, that would be so unsporting.

The more intriguing thing is that certain Arab presses are convinced that the Saudi, Egyptian and Jordanian intelligence services actually provided intelligence to Israel during the war.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
"The Russians have also reportedly invested in two Syrian ports, he added.

If they switch their Black Sea fleet there it would be their first Mediterranean base since the 1950s, said Dr Fox, who repeated his warning in a speech in the main conference hall at the Bournemouth conference centre."

[align=center]Source[/align]

saladin said:
machiavelli said:

Could it be because the Israelis shot up the Liberty?????

Nehustan said:

If they switch their Black Sea fleet there it would be their first Mediterranean base since the 1950s, said Dr Fox, who repeated his warning in a speech in the main conference hall at the Bournemouth conference centre."

Is Russia indeed the main enemy of the UK? The question is worth to open a new thread.

Did they catch any? No? Any evidence? No, just he said she said. What a surprise. Iranian RGs are, as I've said before, like the busload of nurses from Rheindahlen - everyone's heard the story but nobody's ever seen one
Just curious, Do think that Iran is helping foment trouble in Iraq ? Is their any evidence of it ?

I'm sure they are supporting SCIRI. In fact we know that - SCIRI was based in exile in Iran. But SCIRI is the government that we are supposed to be supporting, and its private army appears to make up the only effective Iraqi army units outside Kurdistan, despite an unfortunate tendency to drill holes in prisoners' heads. ("Iraqi Special Forces" ex-36th ING/ICDC)

If the SCIRI becomes our enemy, no doubt they will be helping them against us. But in that case, we're dicked anyway - just what coalition forces are there between southern Baghdad and the Aussies at Talil, along the MSR?

More interesting is whether they are helping the Sadr movement - Sadr himself has attacked the government for being too close to Iran, but they are Shia, so you can't rule it out entirely. There's no way the Iranians would help the Sunni insurgents against a SCIRI government.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
KGB_resident said:
Nehustan said:

Is Russia indeed the main enemy of the UK? The question is worth to open a new thread.
Sorry Sergey missed the post. Not in my book, after all they buried one of my heroes Kim Philby with full military honours as befitting.

(Suddenly the Cambridge Spies look like the real patriots, but then they did say that as the time. Imagine 60 years of US nuclear hegemony....shudders.)

Latest Threads