Syria, Iran intelligence services aided Hezbollah during war

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by GuyT, Oct 3, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "Syria, Iran intelligence services aided Hezbollah during war"
    http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=769538&contrassID=1&subContrassID=5
    (Article from Israel's Haaretz this morning)

Article starts:

"During the fighting in Lebanon Hezbollah received direct intelligence support from Syria, using data collected by listening posts jointly manned by Russian and Syrian crews. Hezbollah was also fed intelligence from new listening posts built on the Syrian side of the Golan Heights, which are operated jointly with Iran...."

Interesting information about listening posts follows in the article.

More on Hezbollah at: http://www.tt-iraq.com/Default.aspx?nw=HEZBOLLAH&pn=LEBANON

2. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I don't think this should come as a surprise to anyone really.

The Russians used to lend covert/overt support the Arabs, and the USA still do the same for Israel.

3. True. Interesting to see its confirmation though.

4. Nothing new, terrorist states sponsoring their war by proxy.

Israel should have taken out the listening posts.

5. Did they catch any? No? Any evidence? No, just he said she said. What a surprise. Iranian RGs are, as I've said before, like the busload of nurses from Rheindahlen - everyone's heard the story but nobody's ever seen one.

6. A country that is in a state of war with Israel transferred intelligence about its enemy to another enemy of Israel. Nothing special.

Russian involvement? I see only suppositions and theories.

7. Surely they were'nt listening posts but weather stations (to tell wether the enemy is coming or not )
    :twisted: :twisted:

8. Now there's confirmation if ever I heard it :D

9. Probably so they could understand all the Russian Immigrants fighting in the IDF ? Over 1 million immigrants from Russia since 1990, a very high proportion of them not recognised as "Jewish" by the religious authorities.

http://www.news.uiuc.edu/ii/03/0724/07israel_P.html

10. Given the number of times Israel has come bounding across the border who would blame them !

....and exactly what are those golf balls on Mt Olympus in Cyprus anyway ? Pot, meet Mr Kettle.

11. I agree, doesnt sound like a new concept to me

12. I'm shocked to hear this.

Next thing you'll be telling me the Yanks helped out the Israelis by shipping them vast quantities of AP ordinance via the sweaties, that would be so unsporting.

13. The more intriguing thing is that certain Arab presses are convinced that the Saudi, Egyptian and Jordanian intelligence services actually provided intelligence to Israel during the war.

14. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

"The Russians have also reportedly invested in two Syrian ports, he added.

If they switch their Black Sea fleet there it would be their first Mediterranean base since the 1950s, said Dr Fox, who repeated his warning in a speech in the main conference hall at the Bournemouth conference centre."

[align=center]Source[/align]

15. Could it be because the Israelis shot up the Liberty?????