syria giving it a go

Discussion in 'Syria, Mali, Libya, Middle East & North Africa' started by Grumblegrunt, Mar 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

on AJ now protests in half a dozen cities
  2. Here's a link.

Violence erupts at protests in Syria - Middle East - Al Jazeera English

It seems to me, that an underlying criticism of the Middle Eastern countries by the majority of the proteters, is the corruption of 'the ruling elite'
    I can't see the x factor, dancing on ice etc etc, having a mind numbing effect on the majority of the populace, as it seems to do in the West.
  3. May not end well…

"…The Hama massacre (Arabic: مجزرة حماة‎) occurred in February 1982, when the Syrian army bombarded the town of Hama in order to quell a revolt by the Muslim Brotherhood. An estimated 17,000 to 40,000 people were killed, including about 1,000 soldiers,[1] and large parts of the old city were destroyed. The attack has been described as possibly being "the single deadliest act by any Arab government against its own people in the modern Middle East".[2]…"

Hama massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  4. Grumblegrunt

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

I'd put the Syrians second only to the Iranians in their capacity for Middle Eastern nastiness. Those demonstrators are better men than me by several leagues.
  6. Grumblegrunt

AJ had another reference to it today but as usual like bahrain and yemen its risking being drowned out by libya and press frenzy.

shame I cant understand the arabic version
  7. Grumblegrunt

8. you should remember this

YouTube - great Syrian army 1973

meanwhile oum kal soum, sout al arab, singing love songs, the blackest irony, smell of cardoman and then the boomage.

YouTube - ‫
  9. Grumblegrunt

its certainly gathering momentum considering the press blackouts and 50 year state of emergency - nowt like paranoia.
  10. Went around Syria a couple of years ago; they are the very best of people, their capacity for kindness to strangers has to be experienced to be believed (they're about ten times as civilised as the Lebanese). Another Hama would be dreadful, but I'd like to see the Assads get the Mussolini treatment they deserve.
  11. At last a bit of the Arab Spring Qom will not be delighted by.

However they don't call mass casualty atrocities Syrian Solutions for no reason. R2P and No Fly Zone anyone?
  12. On Syria Comment Syria Dividing: Most Large Cities Calm. The Troubles in Latakia Lead to Army being Deployed by Joshua Landis