Syria Conflict Escalation - Syrian Troops Attack Refuge Camp in Turkey

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by DesktopCommando, Apr 9, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I wonder if this a deliberate attempt, by whichever side, to draw other nations directly into the conflict?

2. Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly does the Syrian government gain by picking a fight with Turkey? They are having enough trouble dealing with the rebels.

I suppose Assad could be banking on an external threat causing support for the rebels to collapse, but it's bloody risky. Even the Israeli's would probably think twice before accusing the Turks of spilling their pint...:threaten:

3. You assume that I implied that the shooter was from the government forces.

4. Fair point, well presented. But you did say, "by whichever side". So my question still stands.

5. If Syrian forces attack across the border unto Turkish soil and have killed Turkish soldiers..... Is that not Casus Belli for Turkey?

Bit bloody stupid of the Syrians, they're under enough pressure.

6. Attacking refugee camps is practically traditional but Kofi Annan will be so disappointed in Bashar.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Handy for the Russian hoards to come south then!

8. BBC now reporting that a cameraman with Lebanese TV has been shot on the Syrian border.

No linky yet.

9. I hope the Turks mallet them, they've had it coming and to be honest it's shameful that the Syrian government have got away with it so long. Ok invading the place would be messy but I can see no reason we couldn't have done some good i.e. bombing the gun lines they're using to shell civvies.

10. Too right this is probably an unlawful international incident and indeed “Casus Belli” as far as the Turkish Government is concerned. How they decide to deal with it is for them to decide, everybody else must sit back and wait, to intervene at this time would possibly be ill-advised and exacerbate the situation. Obviously diplomatic channels will have been used in the first instance but whether they will achieve the desired result is another matter as it is becoming patently obvious that President Bashar al-Assad cannot be trusted, moving the goalposts to suit himself and his despotic regime. To say the Turkish authorities are not best pleased would be an understatement; newscasts by numerous reputable news agencies coming from Kilis seem to indicate that Syrian troops are deliberately targeting Turkish territory. If this is the case then we are seeing war crimes and crimes against humanity, genocide even, therefore the Turkish authorities must act appropriately and with caution, ensuring they are seen to be acting in the best interests of the refugees. As diplomatic relations between Turkey and Syria have been broken down the Syrian charge d'affaires in Ankara has been summoned and told such indiscriminate attacks must cease forthwith.

In the last hour Al-Jadeed (Lebanese media) are reporting that one of it photographers has been killed by Syrian forces near the Lebanese town of Wadi Khalid close to the Syrian border. From what can be ascertained from translation (Arabic is not my strong subject), it would appear to be an unprovoked attack on the part of the Syrians.

As for military intervention by any country other than Turkey, would be unacceptable to the UN, especially to Russia and China and any intervention by the Turks would have to be a measured response of the defensive kind. An outright assault on Syrian soil would be seen as a warlike act, therefore something similar to the Tunisians actions during the Libyan crisis, whereby no matter which side “attacked” Tunisian soil, they were snatched and held by Tunisia.

The question now is how many more errors of judgement will President Bashar al-Assad make? Will he try sending his troops to fire on refugee camps in Israel & Jordan? That would cause real problems - the Israelis only need the slightest excuse to go for a lunchtime jolly before returning home for afternoon tea and cakes!! As for the Russian hoards rushing south, please excuse the pun, this would be difficult in the extreme as it would require the acquiescence of surrounding nations - something that is very unlikely to happen. As for the Russian arriving by sea, that too is highly unlikely as the Turks would certainly refuse access to the Bosporus and the Sea of Marmara!!!

11. Hmm.. could this be the Turks creating a "GLEIWITZ" incident :- Gleiwitz incident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia just to get an excuse to invade Syria, if so stand by for the Russkies getting involved!!

12. IF you wanted to dust off the desert kit again...
    http://www.nato.int/nato-welcome/pdf/nato_treaty_en_light.pdf
    Article 2
    If the Republic of Turkey becomes a Party to the North Atlantic Treaty, Article 6 of the Treaty
    shall, as from the date of the deposit by the Government of the Republic of Turkey of its
    instruments of accession with the Government of the United States of America, be modified
    to read as follows:
    For the purpose of Article 5, an armed attack on one or more of the Parties is deemed to
    include an armed attack:
    1. on the territory of any of the Parties in Europe or North America, on the Algerian
    Departments of France, ON THE TERRITORY OF TURKEY or on the islands under the
    jurisdiction of any of the Parties in the North Atlantic area north of the Tropic of Cancer;

Technically speaking, if Turkey presses the Article 5 button, all of NATO should pile in.
    All it really needs is some Syrian government forces to get caught on the wrong side of the border.

13. Would the Turks need to? I believe the Turkish Armed Forces are somewhere north of 600,000 regulars, with about half as much again in reservists and paramilitary units.