Symptoms and advice from similar experiences

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer
I have not had the opportunity to post for while, partly from can't be bothered syndrome, but mostly from self denial.
So with Regards to the thread title, i am going to post some symptoms and would like to know if anyone else has had anyone close to them such as a family member and if there was anything that could help.
I have been told on many occasions that I have an extremely good memory, without trying to big it up or boast what they said was true because among the jobs of my life journey after the Army I did dispatch riding, Taxibike riding and chauffering before putting my knowledge to use as a fleet controller for Addison Lee which at that time was the busiest open call circuit in the country, i took to the job like a duck to water. My starting salary was £250pw but within 18 months I was on £850pw and one of the highest paid controllers in London. Obviously to do the job without all the modern trackers and such, i had to know where all my riders were, where they were going and their strength and weaknesses. What helped was when a rider I had given a job to said that I must really hate him sending him to Dagenham at 18:00 when he lived in Uxbridge, i replied he was correct but it wasn't personal because I hated all of them the same.
So now I have boasted about that it will now be relevant to the rest of my post.
I can remember events going back to when i was 5 years old and i cut my big toe wearing flip flops in an alleyway going to my friend's house in Honolulu, i remember my childhood and everything I did before taking the oath. I can remember my service, my civvy jobs and unfortunately my hair raising experiences as a prison officer.

Now I have trouble remembering why I had gone to the supermarket or what I had for dinner two days ago. Other symptoms are driving somewhere and getting into a panic because I have forgotten where I was going and where I was. When speaking to people I sometimes get lost in conversation and what it was about. Lately my wife has found a box of cereal in the fridge and been woken up by me when I have been cleaning the kitchen at 02:00 or my sons room while he was at work on night shifts. Other symptoms include one where I have trouble forming words as I'm speaking which makes the usual shite I Harp on about seem normal.
I have spoken with some doctors and nurses who have known me for quite a while and who have become friends over the year's, they have urged me to speak with my gp urgently, because of how busy they are I have to wait a month.
This morning I spoke with a ssfa case worker for a couple of hours, i was able to tell her my experiences up to about 3years ago but i was struggling to remember recent events and my finances and at one stage I forgot who she was and why she was in my house, luckily my wife spotted it and helped.
I am quite wortied and scared because I know what the symptoms could be and aged only 52 I was not expecting to show signs of dementia. I'm hoping it could be something else because I have had a few concussions and been knocked out sparko ( one involving a faulty door on a F432 on an ex.

If anyone is able to give me some positive experience they have seen from a family member for friend I would be very grateful.
The unpleasant bit has been told to me that usually from diagnosis to death is usually 6-8 year's.
Guys please don't crayon and remember this isn't the naffi bar

My father at 72 ish had similar problems and we had concerns it could be dementia. After quite a few tests it turned out to be a vitamin deficiency (can't remember which:)) and since increasing certain foods is back to normal. Unfortunately certain things he forgot he still has no recollection of. Get checked out but be aware it may not be dementia! Good luck.

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer
Thank you and im pleased your father was ok.
Mentioning vitamin deficiency has reminded me that I have low testosterone levels and to get it checked again, i used to have test gel which helped me a lot in repairing illness quicker and giving me back my get up and go which unfortunately has got up and gone.

What vitamin was deficient? I'm terrified of losing my mind so read daily and try to do mental maths when just sitting around waiting for others to get their shit in one sock (why is it we spend so much time waiting for others to square away?).

Lately I find things I should know are just not there till I look it up and it becomes obvious. Never been much good with names but it feels like it's getting worse these days. Curmudgeonly behaviour also increasing.

Might be blood pressure related, high BP can f*ck up your cognitive abilities with respect to recent and real-time stuff, so it might be a good idea to get that checked.
Magnesium deficiency might be another thing, do you feel like you"re cramped up and your heart does strange things at times? There are blood tests for magnesium levels, AFAIK. Vitamin deficiency sounds plausible as well.
Mental arithmetic sounds good, I started memorizing decimals of pi some time ago (seriously) and have the feeling it does my short-term memory and general alertness a lot of good.

Waz

Old-Salt
My Mother had similar, but only now and then. Sometimes she would barely know who we were, thinking my eldest son was me, and other times bright as a button. In her case it was a blood sugar issue. Can't recall if it was high or low, but once they had that balanced out she was fine.
Hope you get it sorted.

Get a GP appointment , in fact try and book a double one. Have a full blood work up done to try and eliminate any physical cause. The GP can do a mini mental health assessment by asking you some what seems like daft questions. Mention all your symptoms and occurrences as well. To that end it might be helpful if your wife accompanied you into the appointment.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
What vitamin was deficient? I'm terrified of losing my mind so read daily and try to do mental maths when just sitting around waiting for others to get their shit in one sock (why is it we spend so much time waiting for others to square away?).

Lately I find things I should know are just not there till I look it up and it becomes obvious. Never been much good with names but it feels like it's getting worse these days. Curmudgeonly behaviour also increasing.
My brother had the same and was put on vitamins, his deficiency of vitamins was brought about with a dose of the trots on holiday, he's almost as good as new now, but with a odd bad day.

Could be vitamin B12 deficiency. Report to GP asap.

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
B12? Will give the complex a go and see if it helps.
And go and see your GP yesterday with your other half in case you forget something. While it's possible it's vitamin related, it could also be as serious as vascular dementia or still serious but easily treatable urinary tract infection.

Pissing like a horse (give the hounds something to aim for by pissing six feet up a fence), memory OK except for trivial shit that I know I should remember like the currency of Dominica but don't. Always been crap with names.

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
Pissing like a horse (give the hounds something to aim for by pissing six feet up a fence), memory OK except for trivial shit that I know I should remember like the currency of Dominica but don't. Always been crap with names.
Pissing more can also be a combat indicator as your UT tries to flush the infection out. Doctor yesterday. Give a brief description of the symptoms to the receptionist you speak to. She should get you in for an emergency appointment it recommend a walk in centre if they cannot for you in.

I'm guessing six to ten litres of tea a day may have something to do with it. The stream is that of a stallion.

My six monthly flight medicals say I'm in good shape. Last one two months ago. It just gets on my tits that the memory isn't the steel trap it used to be. Could just be age a few years short of 60.

TBQH I didn't think I'd make 30. Just having too much fun. Fifty came as a complete surprise.

Anaemia will give similar symptoms.

I live in this state permanently, although there are slight changes due to Hgb levels. Luckily, for me this is freeing but I can see that for some it might be very distressing.

See the doc.

My maths have gone straight down the toilet in recent times and pretty sure you and I work in the same industry so they are slightly important. Carrying out weight and balance amendments used to be easy and quick but these days I need to actually put much thought into it. I have already visited my gp and have done the various tests and have been cleared with no known cause. The only other odd thing is for some reason I tend to do run-on sentences.

And go and see your GP yesterday with your other half in case you forget something. While it's possible it's vitamin related, it could also be as serious as vascular dementia or still serious but easily treatable urinary tract infection.
This. UTIs can really mess up your brain. Saw this happen to my grandmother and it was like night and day when it was sorted out.