Swynnerton Royal Ordnance Factory

#1
Many Regulars/TA/Cadets on here have more than likely spent a little time on this training camp in Staffordshire. A quite unqiue training area having once been a Royal Ordnance Factory during WW2.

Having Spent a bit of time on that area I have developed an interest in info on what the place looked like during the war years.

To date I have found next to nothing, A Research Group Toured the old Regional Seat of Government housed in one of the old munitions bunkers but thats it! http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/sites/s/swynnerton/index.html

Anybody out there could point me in the right direction or have any info themselves?
 
#2
i go their quite alot with the TA i know that its all under ground and it had an extencive rail network which we see all the time accross the road going into variouse bunkers and off into wooded areas. i would really like to know what it looked like pre 1970's, thats when i know they pulled up most rail network. its all roads now, very boreing.! :!:
Aaron.
 
#3
I went to Swynnerton eons ago! Remember there used to be one of the very first Cheiftans parked up as scrap near the main gate. Is it still there?

(Have an old photo of me and me mucker next to it with yours truly wearing a QOHldrs TOS for some obscure reason 8O ).
 
#4
living in staffordshire our ccf regularly goes to swynnerton, My gran also worked there during the war and she remembered lots about it, (sadly she passed away in the summer) so I can get any more information, I'd love to find some records and try and find something out about the place, she worked as a foreman (woman). looking at that subbrit website I really want to know where that bunker is :D


Cheers
Collisster
 
#5
TheLordFlasheart said:
I went to Swynnerton eons ago! Remember there used to be one of the very first Cheiftans parked up as scrap near the main gate. Is it still there?

(Have an old photo of me and me mucker next to it with yours truly wearing a QOHldrs TOS for some obscure reason 8O ).
Hasn`t been there since at least 1995, got a Humber pig and an old 432 on the car park , when they`re not being dragged out of the recovery area
 
#6
if you pm me i can point in a direction that may help you
 
#7
I was at Swynnerton recently as an observe4r to Exercise Western Approaches. The thing that sticks out is the fact that once inside the gates all vehicles drive on the LH side of the road and they have an excellent street type range.
 
#8
And some very smart looking Fusilier cadets.

msr
 
#9
craftsmanx said:
I was at Swynnerton recently as an observe4r to Exercise Western Approaches. The thing that sticks out is the fact that once inside the gates all vehicles drive on the LH side of the road and they have an excellent street type range.
A bit dangerous? It's used for European driver training i.e. RH side.


A bit more info, but no piccies:
http://www.staffshomeguard.co.uk/DotherReminiscences31staffshg.htm
 
#10
http://www.multimap.com/maps/?hloc=GB|swynnerton#t=l&map=52.89905,-2.21752|17|32&loc=GB:52.9171:-2.221:13|swynnerton|Swynnerton,%20Staffordshire
 
#12
There was definitely a derelict chieftain on the area in 1989/1990 because I stalked it with a Charlie G. The DS set off a thunderflash; declared "missed" and the "enemy" on the chieftain opened up with a GPMG while we did our reload drills. Oh and my yeti gaiters fell off!

This was well in the training area, not on the gate.

The old rail connection was to the West Coast mainline. Google map to see it.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&h...-2.241747&spn=0.002887,0.009956&t=h&z=17&om=1
 
#13
ging-gwar said:
Many Regulars/TA/Cadets on here have more than likely spent a little time on this training camp in Staffordshire. A quite unqiue training area having once been a Royal Ordnance Factory during WW2.

Having Spent a bit of time on that area I have developed an interest in info on what the place looked like during the war years.

To date I have found next to nothing, A Research Group Toured the old Regional Seat of Government housed in one of the old munitions bunkers but thats it! http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/sites/s/swynnerton/index.html

Anybody out there could point me in the right direction or have any info themselves?
"Dangerous Energy: The Archaeology of Gunpowder and Military Explosives Manufacture" (have a look for it on Amazon, priced from £29.50) is a book I had a number of flick throughs on idle days during the summer, and might be a good starting point. I might be able to have a look at it tomorrow and post details of what I find.
It's written, I believe, by a guy from English Heritage. Plenty of photos of explosives factories. Many of the WW2 era ones are aerial photos if I recall correctly.
 
#15
i used to live in cold meece right next to the camp and i remember finding bits of the old train track that workers used to travel on, my old next door neighbour also used to work there and told me all about it
 
#18
emilyv1979 said:
this is the camp entrahttp://www.multimap.com/maps/?hloc=GB|swynnerton#map=52.89391,-2.22087|16|32&bd=useful_information&loc=GB:52.9171:-2.221:13|swynnerton|Swynnerton, Staffordshirence
http://www.multimap.com/maps/?hloc=GB|swynnerton#map=52.89391,-2.22087|16|32&bd=useful_information&loc=GB:52.9171:-2.221:13|swynnerton|Swynnerton, Staffordshire
 
#19
Theres also a small history room if thats the right word by the gate out onto the training area, not been in there myself but apparently it has photos stats etc.
 
#20
Type in Royal Ordnance Factories, Swynnerton should be able to find out about its history from that , been there a few times in my TA time never seen the cheiftain but have seen a T62 there from just after Gulf 1. most of the bunkers are now being pulled down (before they fall down),but the staff there are putting in features like FOB,s,UN /NATO compounds.
The VOSA testing site across the road from the camp entrance is where the train station was ( a specially built line was constructed during the War, but Mr Beeching had it closed, There are several areas just down the road from the camp and all are named after Navy Heroes, Drake, Nelson Raleigh etc. they were quarters for both British and US personnel , I think there is is still a proving range next to the VOSA site as I have heard machine gun fire from that area. Oh and 1 more point they do like their Birds there (feathered variety)just inside the training area is where they are kept.next to the "museum"
I believe one of the bunkers was ear marked for the local govermentto go ot if the Cold War ever got hot , Still used to this day for seperate accom from the camp
Hope this has been of some interest to you
All THe Bessst
B_T
:D
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top