Swords

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Forvirring, Dec 12, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just found a Gunner Officer dress sword (circa 1915) belonging to my gt-grandfather but unfortunately the engraving is looking a little worn and it is generally looking a little lacklustre. Can any of you recommend a decent establishment to get it brightened up?

2. http://www.crisp-and-sons.com/

3. Thanks for those. It appears that they are both the same company with different websites. How bizarre. Thanks again

4. I had the same problem some twenty years ago. My bequeathed Wilkinson made sword had last been used in battle. Its scabbard was painted sand coloured and the blade was sharpened. I sent it off to Wilkinson who did an absolutely first class job and the cost - nothing! They told me that they did not charge for refurbishing officers swords on return from campaigning and whilst a little later than usual they confirmed that this rule would still apply! Sadly they've stopped the sword business in the last month or so after a mere 200 years and now recommend that excellent source of old fashioned military tailors, the British Defence Equipment Catalogue. You might want to look but I doubt you'll get the same service and no doubt they'll charge these days!

Crusty
    Colonel

5. I don't think they actually are the same company. Sussex Swords seems to have their refurbishment work done by Crisp and Sons

6. The fishskin on my sword's grip has become somewhat detached/torn close to the bowl. Now that Wilkinsons have gone out of business, any advice as to where to have a Wilkinson officer's sword refurbished at a high standard of quality in the London area?

7. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Piccadilly seems to be the place to get your sword serviced - or so I have heard :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Try Sussex Swords
    web link: www.sussexswords.com reasonable prices though you may have to do mail order.

Regards

LH

9. Auld-Yin and Lancashire Hussar...many thanks for your kind replies and leads. I had thought of turning to Sussex Swords, but wanted to first see if anyone else had another recommendation. Sussex Swords appears to be the most popular alternative to Wilkinsons, at least for refurbishments. Thanks again.

10. 11D

11D Old-Salt

When wearing a crimson sash with blues and you wear your sword at the same time, where does the sword belt go??

Is it worn underneath the blues jacket or is it simply placed underneath the crimson sash?

I can't help but think that it goes under the blues jacket as the weight of the sword makes it slip underneath the crimson sash and looks very unprofessional in my view. I could be wrong though

Can anyone clear this up?? I would imagine any 1* upwards would be able to give me the verbatim on the sword wearing SOP if any would be so kind to oblige.

Many thanks

11. Good question. While a Sqn Comd at an ATR I wore mine underneath my jacket but on my first parade, I noticed my CO was wearing his under his sash. After much questioning, it seemed to be down to personal choice although doubtless there is a protocol somewhere. Anyway, I carried on wearing mine under my jacket as it just seemed a lot easier!

12. I am the proud owner of a very nicely preserved Victorian Royal Artillery pattern sword (a snip on the ubiquitous ebay of course). However, the (steel) scabbard has seen better days.

I would like to aquire a leather scabbard in order for me to actually wear the thing on parade. I've seen quite a few about but all of them are for wear with a Sam Browne. I need the type with rings for wear from slings.

Does anyone know where I can get such a scabbard from. Tried Sussex Swords but they would like to charge £300 for it. I would (obviously) prefer to spend much less.

Many thanks in advance.

Flashy

13. Try 'Jeremy Tenniswood' by clicking here.

I suspect you will end up paying a good deal less than £300...

...and there's always Wilkinson Sword (who made mine) but I have no idea how much they'd charge for a brown leather scabbard with rings, which is what I assume you're after?