Discussion in 'Officers' started by dwills, Jul 12, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I can't seem to find the answer, so I guess I best ask here.

Why do some units have their sword scabbard forward and some backward?

I noticed RN officers have them forward.

Carry on...
  2. Because they are backwards :)
  3. Ignoring the RN, compile a list of those who wear it one way, and those who wear it the other. Now look to see what they have in common.
  4. I suspect it might be to do with horses....
    • Like Like x 1
  5. The RN tradition of officers wearing their sword at the trail is allegedly to do with the practicalities of boarding enemy ships, and not, as popular lore would have it, as a mark of disgrace for slaying mutinous sailors.
  6. Stabby stabby roman infantry style, not a cross draw to parry or slash.

Legionaries carried them on the right as well, it's out of the scabbard and point forward in low guard.
  7. Do you mean the scabbard, or do you mean the basket of the hilt?
  8. Do not quote me but I think that it is down to what the order of dress is and your Regiment or Corps.

Army Dress Regulations will give the answer (hung, slung or carried) if you wish to read through them.

9. Something to do with how many left handers joined different regiments in the old days I should think!
  10. If you are wearing a sword on slings (as opposed to in a frog on a Sam Brown), then when it is to be hooked up onto the handy dandy hook provided for the purpose (as opposed to carried in the hand so as not to trail on the floor) the sword is turned anti-clockwise so that the slings wrap around the scabard. The flat side of the basket ends up against the waist, which means that the sword is effective backwards and the scabard thends to hang down the leg but pointing slightly forwards.