Swords

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Quinn, Sep 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone recommend a good place to buy, or get advice on swords. This isn't for me, but a civvie mate of my parents who wants advice on swords for his masonic lodge (!). (Don't ask - I though the Mason's just existed in Dan Brown books).

Thanks

2. Crisp and Sons only do military swords, so I suppose he could try Pooley Swords or WKC.

On the other hand, I have had non-military swords made up by Rob Miller in Skye (www.castlekeep.co.uk) - absolutely excellent, hand made etc.

Edited to add - WKC actually do a Masonic range: http://www.wkc-solingen.de/newshop/indexmasonic.html

3. Thanks, as ever, for the rapid response!!

That seems like a good place to start. Hopefully that will get 0A higher off my back for 5 minutes!

4. As a ex (although once a free mason then always a freemason) Most lodges only have one sword wearer

5. I always thought masons carried a sharpened trowel (chromed, of course) in a highly polished, leather trowel-scabbard. Ya live an' learn!

MsG

6. Not that I have any knowledge of things Masonic....

If it is a military Lodge, generally they use a military pattern sword for the one "sword wearer". A lot of these have been donated.

I'm afraid that I've never noticed what non-military lodges use.

I'm sure I could find out more if I bothered my arrse and asked around...

Sincerely and Fraternally,

Tubs

P.S. k13eod, a lot of Masons like to think that the order descends from the Knights Templar. It's a nice story but that's all as far as I'm concerned. And Dan Brown's writing is, to quote Stephen Fry, a load of arrse gravy.

7. My Lodge coats the edges of the trowel with an undetectable poison developed for us by Mossad.

Yasser Arafat- healthy as a horse one week, stone dead the next.

Coincidence?

8. As a member of a Lodge that meets at Grand Lodge; tell your man to call them; they have a shop on the first floor.

There are also a great many Masonic shops on Great Queen Street where Grand Lodge is located.

Just a bit of Masonic trivia for you... the building used in the filming of "Spooks" is Grand Lodge in Great Queen Street, London. And... Most Regiments had a number of Lodges with Lodge meetings even being carried out in the WW1 trenches and POW camps :)

9. The museum on the first floor of GQS also has regalia made from shrapnel collected around (I think) Changi POW camp.